- Volume 22 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Numerical study of airfoil thickness effects on the performance of J-shaped straight blade vertical axis wind turbine
- Received : 2015.08.16
- Accepted : 2016.03.24
- Published : 2016.05.25
Providing high starting torque and efficiency simultaneously is a significant challenge for vertical axis wind turbines (VAWTs). In this paper, a new approach is studied in order to modify VAWTs performance and cogging torque. In this approach, J-shaped profiles are exploited in the structure of blades by means of eliminating the pressure side of airfoil from the maximum thickness toward the trailing edge. This new profile is a new type of VAWT airfoil using the lift and drag forces, thereby yielding a better performance at low TSRs. To simulate the fluid flow of the VAWT along with J-shaped profiles originated from NACA0018 and NACA0030, a two-dimensional computational analysis is conducted. The Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) equations are closed using the two-equation Shear Stress Transport (SST) turbulence model. The main objective of the study is to investigate the effects of J-shaped straight blade thickness on the performance characteristics of VAWT. The results obtained indicate that opting for the higher thickness in J-shaped profiles for the blade sections leads the performance and cogging torque of VAWT to enhance dramatically.
VAWT;J-shaped Profile;thickness;numerical simulation;cogging torque
- The open source cfdtoolkids (2010), "User guide", http://www.openfoam.com [Online].
- Akwa, J.V., Vielmo, H.A. and Petry, A.P. (2012), "A review on the performance of Savonius wind turbines", Renew. Sust. Energ. Rev., 16, 3054-3064. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.02.056
- Almohammadi, K.M., Ingham, D., MA, L. and Pourkashanian, M. (2011), "CFD modelling investigation of a straight-blade vertical axis wind turbine", Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Amsterdam, Netherland.
- Beaudoin, M. and Jasak, H. (2008), "Development of a generalized grid interface for turbomachinery simulations with OpenFOAM", Proceedings of the Open Source CFD International Conference, Berlin, Germany, December.
- Bos, R. (2012), Self-starting of a small urban Darrieus rotor, Master of Science, Delft University of Technology, Netherland.
- Bravo, R., Tullis, S. and Ziada, S. (2007), "Performance testing of a small vertical-axis wind turbine", Proceedings of the 21st Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics (CANCAM07), Toronto, Canada, June.
- Darrieus, G. (1931), "Turbines having its rotating shaft transverse to the flow of the current", US patent no. 1835 018 patent application.
- Fernando, M.S.U.K. and Modi, V.J. (1989), "A numerical analysis of the unsteady flow past a Savonius wind turbine", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 32, 303-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(89)90005-6
- Fujisawa, N. (1992), "On the torque mechanism of Savonius rotors", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 40(3), 277-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(92)90380-S
- Ghasemi, A., Pathak, A. and Raessi, M. (2014), "Computational simulation of the interactions between moving rigid bodies and incompressible two-fluid flows", Comput. Fluids, 94, 1-13,. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2014.01.027
- Ghasemi, A., Olinger, D. and Tryggvason, G. (2015), "Numerical simulation of tethered underwater kites for power generation", Proceedings of the ASME 2015 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE 2015, Houston, USA, November.
- Hill, N., Dominy, R., Ingram, G. and Dominy, J. (2009), "Darrieus turbines: The physics of self-starting", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 223, 21-29.
- Kamoji, M.A., Kedare, S.B. and Prabhu, S.V. (2009), "Performance tests on helical Savonius rotors", Renew. Energ., 34(3), 521-529. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2008.06.002
- Karbasian, H.R., Moshizi S.A. and Maghrebi M.J. (2015), "Dynamic stall analysis of S809 pitching airfoil in unsteady free stream velocity", J. Mechanics, FirstView.
- Khare, V., Nema, S. and Baredar, P. (2016), "Solar-wind hybrid renewable energy system: A review", Renew. Sust. Energ. Rev., 58, 23-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.12.223
- Lanzafame, R., Mauro, S. and Messina, M. (2014), "2D CFD modeling of H-darrieus wind turbines using a transition turbulence model", Energy Procedia, 45, 131-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.01.015
- Menet, J.L. (2004), "A double-step Savonius rotor for local production of electricity: a design study", Renew.Energ., 29(11), 1843-1862. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2004.02.011
- Menter, F.R. (1994), "Two-equation eddy-viscosity turbulence models for engineering applications", AIAA J., 32(8), 1598-1605. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.12149
- Modi, V.J. and Fernando, M.S.U.K. (1989), "On the performance of the savonius wind turbine", J. Solar Energy Eng., 111(1), 71-81. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3268289
- Moshizi, S.A., Madadi, A. and Kermani, M.J. (2014a), "Comparison of inviscid and viscous transonic flow field in VKI gas turbine blade cascade", Alexandria Eng. J., 53(2), 275-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2014.03.007
- Moshizi, S.A., Nakhaei, M.H., KermaniI, M.J. and Madadi A. (2014b), "Development of a numerical based correlation for performance losses due to surface roughness in axial turbines", J. Mechanics, 30(6), 631-642. https://doi.org/10.1017/jmech.2014.10
- Saha, U.K., Thotla, S. and Maity, D. (2008), "Optimum design configuration of Savonius rotor through wind tunnel experiments", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 96(8-9), 1359-1375. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.03.005
- Savonius, S. J. (1931), "The S-rotor and its applications", Mech. Eng., 53, 333-338.
- Siddiqui, M.S., Durrani, N. and Akhtar, I. (2015), "Quantification of the effects of geometric approximations on the performance of a vertical axis wind turbine", Renew. Energ., 74, 661-670. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.08.068
- Singa, M.A., Biswas, A. and Misra, R.D. (2015), "Investigation of self-starting and high rotor solidity on the performance of a three S1210 blade H-type Darrieus rotor", Renew. Energ., 76, 381-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.11.027
- Srinivasan, G.R., Ekaterinaris, J.A. and Mccroskey, W.J. (1995), "Evaluation of turbulence models for unsteady flows of an oscillating airfoil", Comput. Fluids, 24(7), 833-861. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7930(95)00016-6
- Streiner, S., Kramer, E., Eulitz, A. and Armbruster, P. (2007), "Aeroelastic analysis of wind turbines applying 3D CFD computational results", J. Physics: Conference Series, 75.
- Tjiu, W., Marnoto, T., Mat, S., Ruslan, M.H. and Sopian, K. (2015), "Darrieus vertical axis wind turbine for power generation I: Assessment of Darrieus VAWT configurations", Renew. Energ., 75, 50-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.09.038
- Tong, W. (2010), Wind Power Generation and Wind Turbine Design, WIT press, Kollmorgen Corporation, USA.
- Wilcox, D.C. (2006), Turbulence Modeling for CFD, DCW industries.
- Three dimensional simulation of J-shaped Darrieus vertical axis wind turbine vol.116, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.10.031
- Variable pitch blades: An approach for improving performance of Darrieus wind turbine vol.8, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4964310
- Numerical simulation for unsteady flow over marine current turbine rotors vol.23, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2016.23.4.301
- Variable Pitch Approach for Performance Improving of Straight-Bladed VAWT at Rated Tip Speed Ratio vol.8, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/app8060957
- Comparison between two-dimensional and three-dimensional computational fluid dynamics techniques for two straight-bladed vertical-axis wind turbines in inline arrangement pp.2048-402X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0309524X18780384