- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Supplemental Corn Dried Distillers Grains with Solubles Fed to Beef Steers Grazing Native Rangeland during the Forage Dormant Season
- Murillo, M. (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Juarez University of the State of Durango) ;
- Herrera, E. (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Juarez University of the State of Durango) ;
- Ruiz, O. (Faculty of Animal Science and Ecology, Autonomous University of Chihuahua) ;
- Reyes, O. (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Juarez University of the State of Durango) ;
- Carrete, F.O. (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Juarez University of the State of Durango) ;
- Gutierrez, H. (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Autonomous University of Zacatecas)
- Received : 2015.05.16
- Accepted : 2015.09.24
- Published : 2016.05.01
Two experiments were conducted to evaluate the effects of the level of corn dry distillers grains with solubles (CDDGS) supplementation on growing performance, blood metabolites, digestion characteristics and ruminal fermentation patterns in steers grazing dormant forage. In Exp. 1, of growth performance, 120 steers (
Corn Dry Distillers Grains with Solubles;Steers;Growing Performance;Blood Metabolites;Digestion Characteristics;Ruminal Fermentation
Supported by : Regional livestock Union from state of Durango
- ANKOM. 2008. Procedures for fiber and in vitro analysis. https://www.ankom.com/analytical-methods-support/ankom Accessed, 2014.
- AOAC. 2000.Official Methods of Analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Arias, J. and A. Nesti. 1999. Relevance of blood and milk urea-N levels in dairy cattle. Rev. Facultad de Agronomia. LUZ-Universidad de Zulia 16:553-556.
- Colucci, P. E., G. K. MacLeod, W. L. Grovum, I. McMillan, and D. J. Barney. 1990. Digesta kinetics in sheep and cattle fed diets with different forage to concentrate ratios at high and low intake. J. Dairy Sci. 73:2143-2156. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78895-9
- Griffin, W. A., V. R. Bremer, T. J. Klopfenstein, L. A. Stalker, L. W. Lomas, J. L. Moyer, and G. E. Erickson. 2012. A meta-analysis evaluation of supplementing dried distillers grain plus soluble to cattle consuming forage-based diets. Prof. Anim. Sci. 28:306-312.
- Gunter, S. A., F. T. McCollum, R. L. Gillen, and L. J. Krysl. 1995. Diet quality and ruminal digestion in beef cattle grazing midgrass prairie rangeland or plains bluestem pasture throughout the summer. J. Anim. Sci. 73:1174-1186. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.7341174x
- Hammond, A. C. 1997. Update on BUN and MUN as a guide for protein supplementation in cattle. In: Proceedings of the Ruminant Nutrition, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA. pp. 43-52.
- Islas, A. and S. A. Soto-Navarro. 2011. Effect of supplementation of dried distillers grains with solubles on forage intake and characteristics of digestion of beef heifers grazing small-grain pasture. J. Anim. Sci. 89:1229-1237. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2757
- Kaneko, J. J., J. W. Harvey, and M. L. Bruss. 1997. Clinical Biochemistry of Domestic Animals, 5ed. San Diego, CA, USA.
- Kim, I. Y., G. C. Ahn, H. J. Kwak, Y. K. Lee, Y. K. Oh, S. S. Lee, J. H. Kim, and K. K. Park. 2015. Characteristics of wet and dried distillers grains on in vitro ruminal fermentation and effects of dietary wet distillers grains on performance of Hanwoo steers. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 28:632-638. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0592
- Klopfenstein, T. J., G. E. Ericson, and V. R. Breme. 2008. Boardinvited review: Use of distillers by-products in the beef cattle feeding industry. J. Anim. Sci. 86:1223-1231. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0550
- Klopfenstein, T. J., R. A. Mass, K. W. Creighten, and H. H. Patterson. 2001. Estimating forage protein degradation in the rumen. J. Anim. Sci. 79(Suppl 1):E217.
- Leng, R. A. 1990. Factors affecting the utilization of poor quality forages by ruminants particularly under tropical conditions. Nutr. Res. Rev. 3:277-303. https://doi.org/10.1079/NRR19900016
- MacDonald, J. C., T. J. Klopfenstein, G. E. Erickson, and W. A. Griffin. 2007. Effects of dried distillers grains and equivalent undegradable intake protein or ether extract on performance and forage intake of heifers grazing smooth bromegrass pastures. J. Anim. Sci. 85:2614-2624. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-560
- Martinez-Perez, M. F., M. D. Calderon, A. Islas, A. M. Encinas, F. Loya-Olguin, and S. A. Soto-Navarro. 2013. Effect of corn dry distiller grains plus solubles supplementation level on performance and digestion characteristics of steers grazing native range during forage growing season. J. Anim. Sci. 91:1350-1361. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5251
- McMurphy, C. P., A. J. Sexten, G. L. Mourer, M. J. Rinker, and D. J. Lalman. 2014. Effects of including saponins (Micro-Aid) in a protein supplement on performance of growing steers and spring-calving cows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 190:19-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2014.01.002
- Mould, F., E. R. Orskov, and S. A. Gauld. 1983. Associative effects of mixed feeds. II. The effect of dietary addition of bicarbonate salts on the voluntary intake and digestibility of diets containing various proportions of hay and barley. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 10:31-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(83)90004-4
- Murillo, O. M., E. Herrera, G. Villarreal, and O. Ruiz. 2013. Chemical composition, intake, ruminal fermentation, plasma metabolites and hormones in range steers. J. Appl. Anim. Res. 41:143-148. https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2012.739095
- Murillo-Ortiz, M., M. Mellado-Bosque, E. Herrera-Torres, O. Reyes-Estrada, and F. O. Carrete-Carreon. 2014. Seasonal diet quality and metabolic profiles of steers grazing on Chihuahuan desert rangeland. Livest. Sci. 165:61-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2014.03.023
- NRC. 2000. Nutrient Requirements of Domestics Animals, Nutrient Requeriments of Beef Cattle, 7th ed, National Academy of Sciences. National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA.
- Obeidat, B. S., M. G. Thomas, D. M. Hallford, D. H. Keisler, M. K. Petersen, W. D. Bryant, M. D. Garcia, L. Narro, and R. Lopez. 2002. Metabolic characteristics of multiparous Angus and Brahman cows grazing in the Chihuahua Desert. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2223-2233. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8092223x
- Ogden, R. K., W. K. Coblentz, K. P. Coffey, J. E. Turner, D. A. Scarbrough, J. A. Jennings, and M. D. Richardson. 2005. Ruminal in situ disappearance kinetics of dry matter and fiber in growing steers for common crabgrass forages sampled on seven dates in northern Arkansas. J. Anim. Sci. 83:1142-1152. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.8351142x
- Orskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. 92:499-503. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600063048
- Orskov, O. R. 1982. Protein Nutrition in Ruminants. Academic Press, New York, USA.
- Ortiz-Rubio, M. A., E. R. Orskov, J. Milne, and H. M. A. Galina. 2007. Effect of different sources of nitrogen on in situ degradability and feed intake of Zebu cattle fed sugarcane tops (Saccharum officinarum). Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 139:143-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.01.016
- SAS Institute. 2003. SAS User's Guide Statistical. Ver 9.1 ed. Statistical Analysis Systems Institute Inc, Cary, NC, USA.
- Satter, L. D. and L. L. Slyter. 1974. Effect of ammonia concentration on rumen microbial protein production in vitro. Br. J. Nutr. 32:199-208. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19740073
- Uden, P., P. E. Colucci, and P. J. Van Soest. 1980. Investigation of chromium, cerium, and cobalt as markers in digesta. Rate of passage studies. J. Sci. Food. Agric. 31:625-632. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740310702
- Waterman, R. C., J. E. Sawyer, C. P. Mathis, D. E. Hawkins, G. B. Donart, and M. K . Petersen. 2006. Effects of supplements that contain increasing amounts of metabolizable protein with or without Ca-propionate salt on postpartum interval and nutrients partitioning in young beef cows. J. Anim. Sci. 84:433-446. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.842433x
- Winterholler, S. J., C. P. McMurphy, G. L. Mourer, C. R. Krehbiel, G. W. Horn, and D. L. Lalman. 2012. Supplementation of dried distillers grains with solubles to beef cows consuming lowquality forage during late gestation and early lactation. J. Anim. Sci. 90:2014-2025. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-4152
- Zinn, R. A. and A. Plascencia. 1993. Interaction of whole cottonseed and supplemental fat on digestive function in cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 71:11-17. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.71111x
- Influence of corn-dried distiller’s grain with solubles on growth performance and blood metabolites of Awassi lambs offered a concentrate diet pp.1828-051X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2017.1404946