- Volume 28 Issue 2
The main reason of marine casualties is the human error in respect of ship's operation. The human error of officers in charge of a navigational watch is related to their abilities to handle of navigational equipment. Navigational devices play a key role to help officers decide what to do for safe navigation. Thus, the abilities to handle of navigational equipment mean not only operation of devices but also entire understanding of the system such as interpretation of information obtained from devices, appropriate use of information considering navigational circumstance. Qualification of seafarers is in accordance with STCW and detailed training courses for their qualification are provided by IMO model course series. Recently, ships engaged on international voyages shall be fitted with an ECDIS not later than the first survey on or after 1 July 2018. As increasing use of ECDIS on ships, marine casualties related to ECDIS are on the rise. The primary causes of the accidents are lacking understanding of ECDIS system, wrong presentation of information on display, wrong safety setting by seafarers who use ECDIS, using small-scale chart and missing charts update. As a result of these primary causes, some problems like wrong route planning and use of limited or omitted information occur. It could be happening by inappropriate seafarers' training which is not sufficient to support improving abilities of officers to handle navigational equipment. For efficient training, it is need to develop training courses. Applying full mission simulation system to seafarers' training courses with case studies and best practices which are well-constructed scenarios based on true marine casualties can increase the effect of training. To use the simulation system, it is possible that seafarers are trained under condition that closely resemble real situation. It should be considered that IMO model course be revised depending on the level of seafarers also. It could be helpful for increasing seafarers' abilities of equipment operation in place of accumulation of experience spending much time. In the short term, effort of training courses improvement for seafarers is needed and long term, it should be tried to provide stable system and services relate to ECDIS.
ECDIS;Marine casualty;Navigational equipment;Seafarer's competence;Seafarer's training
- Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty(2015). Safety and Shipping Review, 6.
- BSU & MAIB(2009). Grounding of the LT CORTESIA on 2 Jan. 2008 on the Varne Bank in the English Channel, Investigation Report 01/08.
- BSU(2011). Grounding of the MV BELUGA REVOLUTION off ENUS(Tench) Island in the South Seas on 30 Apr. 2010, Investigation Report 174/10.
- DOD(2013). Command Investigation into the Grounding of USS Guardian on Tubbataha Reef, Republic of the Philippines that occurred on 17 Jan. 2013.
- European Maritime Safety Agency(2014). Annual Overview of Marine Casualties and Incidents, 15.
- IMO(1972). International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea.
- IMO(1974). International Convention for the Safety Life at Sea.
- IMO(1978). International Convention on Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers.
- IMO(1999a). Radar Navigation, Radar Plotting and Use of ARPA_Radar Navigation at Operational level, IMO Model Course 1.07.
- IMO(1999b). Radar, ARPA, Bridge Teamwork and Search and Rescue_Radar Management level, IMO Model Course 1.08.
- IMO(2001). On-Board Assessment, IMO Model Course 1.30, 4-24.
- IMO(2008). Report of the Maritime Safety Committee on its Eighty-Fourth Session, Maritime Safety Committee, 84th session, Agenda item 24, Annex 1, 7.
- IMO(2012). Operational Use of Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS), IMO Model Course 1.27, 3.
- Kentaro, O..Shoji, F..Saeko, F. & Masaki, F.(2015). Evaluating Navigational Information and the Abilities of OOW who handle Navigational Instruments, The Journal of Japan Institute of Navigation 132, 1-8 https://doi.org/10.9749/jin.132.1
- Kim, H. T..Na, S. & Ha, W. H.(2011). A Case Study of Marine Accident Investigation and Analysis with Focus on Human Error, Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 30(1), 137-138. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2011.30.1.137
- Korean Maritime Safety Tribunal(2014), Marine accident statistics, 4.
- MAIB(2008). Report on the Investigation of the Grounding of CFL Performer Haisborough Sand North Sea 12 May 2008.
- MAIB(2009). Report on the Investigation into the Grounding of Pride of Canterbury "The Downs" off Deal, Kent 31 Jan. 2008.
- MAIB(2012). Grounding of CSL THAMES in the Sound of Mull 9 Aug. 2011.
- MAIB(2014). Report on the Investigation of the Grounding of Ovit in the Dover Strait on 18 Sep. 2013.
- Nam, K. H..Oh, W. Y..Kim, H. G. & Seo, J. S.(2013). Discussion and Challenges on Restructuring of the IMO's Sub-committees, Journal of Ships & Ocean Engineering, 53, 81.
- NTSB(2009). Allision of Hong Kong-Registered Containership M/V Cosco Busan with the Delta Tower of the San Francisco-Okland Bay Bridge San Francisco, California, Marine Accident Report.
- Park, B. S. & Kang, I, K.(1995). The Primary Factors of Marine Casualties and the Counterplan for Promotion of Marine Safety, The Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, 7(2), 173.
- Park, Y. S.(2015). Domestic Legal Effect in Korea of "the ordinary practice of seaman", The Journal of Korea Maritime Law Association, 37, 186-197.
- Seo, M. S. & Bae, S. J.(2002). The Study on the Analysis of Marine Accidents and Preventive Measures, The Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, 14(2), 158.