- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Study on the Long-Term Performance Variation of the Plate-Type Enthalpy Exchange Element Made of Paper
판형 종이 재질 전열교환 소자의 장기 성능 변화에 대한 실험적 연구
- Received : 2016.01.27
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.04.10
Long-term performance of the enthalpy exchange element is a topic of current interest due to the concern of possible performance degradation over time. In this study, a 350 CMH enthalpy recovery ventilator equipped with an enthalpy exchange element was installed in an office room, and the performance has been traced over the past 5 years. The appearance, overall dimension, thermal performance, leakage ratio and anti-bacterial performance were checked annually. Results showed that the change in thermal performance (sensible, latent and enthalpy efficiency) was negligible with periodic cleaning with an air gun. However, the leakage ratio increased with time, measuring 7.3% after 5 years. Anti-bacterial test revealed that no bacteria were found during the test period. The largest change in the dimension occurred at the middle location of the element, although the change was less than 2% of the initial value.
Enthalpy exchange element;Paper;Enthalpy recovery ventilator;Long-term performance
- Shin, S. Y., Cho, M. C., Lee, S. H., Kim, B. S., Kim, I. K., and Lee, G. G., 2004, Performance test of heat recovery ventilator element, Proceedings of the Summer Conference, The Society of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineers, pp. 729-733.
- Cho, M. C., Lee, S. H., Shin, S. Y., Hong, Y. K., Lee, S. H., and Kang, T. W., 2003, Development of HRV element using functional paper, New Technology Presentation, HARFKO Exhibition, pp. 73-77.
- Johnson, J. E., 1997, Heat and mass transfer between two fluid streams separated by a thin, permeable barrier, Ph.D thesis, University of Minnesota, Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- Kistler, K. R. and Cussler, E. L., 2002, Membrane modules or building ventilation, Trans. IChemE, Vol. 80, No. A, pp. 53-64. https://doi.org/10.1205/026387602753393367
- Zhang, L. Z. and Niu, J. L., 2002, Effectiveness correlations for heat and moisture transfer processes in an enthalpy exchanger with membrane cores, J. Heat Tranfer, Vol. 124, pp. 922-929. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1469524
- Zhang, L. Z., 2008, Heat and mass transfer in platefin sinusoidal passages with vapor permeable wall materials, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 51, pp. 618-629. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2007.04.050
- KS M 7019, 2001, Sheet materials-Determination of water vapor transmission rate-Gravimetric(dish) method.
- KS M 7020, 2001, Paper and board-Determination of air permeability(medium range)-Part 5:Gurley method.
- Kim, N. H., Cho, J. P., Song, K. S., and Kim, D. H., Performance of a plate-type enthalpy exchanger made of papers having different properties, Korean J. Air-Cond. Refrig., Vol. 20, No. 8, pp. 547-555.
- KS B 6879, 2007, Heat-recovery ventilators.
- ASHRAE Standard 41.2, 1986, Standard method for laboratory air-flow measurement, ASHRAE.
- ASHRAE Standard 41.1, 1986, Standard method for temperature measurement, ASHRAE.
- ASHRAE Standard 41.5, 1986, Standard measurement guide, engineering analysis of experimental data, ASHRAE.
- Korea Lab, Accredition Scheme, Korea Agency for Technology and Standards, Ministry of Knowledge and Economy.