- Volume 16 Issue 1
Recently, artificial intelligence has reached the level of top information technologies that will have significant influence over many aspects of our future lifestyles. In particular, in the fields of machine learning technologies for classification and decision-making, there have been a lot of research efforts for solving estimation and control problems that appear in the various kinds of portfolio management problems via data-driven approaches. Note that these modern data-driven approaches, which try to find solutions to the problems based on relevant empirical data rather than mathematical analyses, are useful particularly in practical application domains. In this paper, we consider some applications of modern data-driven machine learning methods for portfolio management problems. More precisely, we apply a simplified version of the sparse Gaussian process (GP) classification method for classifying users' sensitivity with respect to financial risk, and then present two portfolio management issues in which the GP application results can be useful. Experimental results show that the GP applications work well in handling simulated data sets.
Machine learning;Gaussian processes;Portfolio management
- J. Shawe-Taylor and N. Cristianini, Kernel Methods for Pattern Analysis, Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- N. Cristianini and J. Shawe-Taylor, An Introduction to Support Vector Machines and Other Kernel-Based Learning Methods, Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- B. Scholkopf and A. J. Smola, Learning with Kernels, MIT Press, 2002.
- K.-R. Muller, S. Mika, G. Ratsch, K. Tsuda, and B. Schlkopf, "An introduction to kernel-based learning algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 181-201, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/72.914517
- J. T. Kwok, "The evidence framework applied to support vector machines," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 1162-1173, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/72.870047
- B. Scholkopf, J. C. Platt, J. Shawe-Taylor, and A. J. Smola, and R. C. Williamson, "Estimating the support of a highdimensional distribution," Neural Computation, vol. 13, pp. 1443-1471, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1162/089976601750264965
- B. Scholkopf, A. Smola, R. Williamson, and P. L. Bartlett. "New support vector algorithms," Neural Computation, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1207-1245, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1162/089976600300015565
- J. Park, J. Kim, H. Lee, D. Park, "One-class support vector learning and linear matrix inequalities," International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 100-104, June 2003. https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2003.3.1.100
- J. Park and D. Kang, "A Modified approach to densityinduced support vector data description," International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1-6, March 2007. https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2007.7.1.001
- C. E. Rasmussen and C. K. I. Williams, Gaussian Processes for Machine Learning, The MIT Press, 2006.
- H. M. Markowitz, Portfolio Selection: Efficient Diversification of Investments, Cowles Foundation Monograph, No. 16, John Wiley andSons, 1959.
- J. A. Primbs, and C. H. Sung, "A stochastic receding horizon control approach to constrained index tracking," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, vol. 15, pp. 3-24, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10690-008-9073-1
- J. E. Beasley, N. Meade, and T.-J. Chang, "An evolutionary heuristic for the index tracking problem," European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 148, no. 3, pp. 621-643, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(02)00425-3
- R. Jeurissen, and J. van den Berg, "Index tracking using a hybrid genetic algorithm," Proceedings of 2005 ICSC Congress on Computational Intelligence Methods and Applications, 2005.
- J. Park, D. Yang, and K. Park, "Approximate dynamic programming-based dynamic portfolio optimization for constrained index tracking," International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 19-28, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2013.13.1.19
- S. Boyd, M. Mueller, B. O'Donoghue, and Y. Wang, "Performance bounds and suboptimal policies for multi-period investment," Foundations and Trends in Optimization, vol. 1 no. 1, pp. 1-69, 2014.
- J. Primbs, "Portfolio optimization applications of stochastic receding horizon control," Proceeding of the 2007 American Control Conference, pp. 1811-1816, 2007.
- J. Park, J. Jeong, and K. Park, "An investigation on dynamic portfolio selection problems utilizing stochastic receding horizon approach," Journal of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 386-393, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2012.22.3.386
- M. Dai, Q. Zhang, and Q. J. Zhu, "Trend following trading under a regime switching model," SIAM Journal on Financial Mathematics, vol. 1, pp. 780-810, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1137/090770552
- J. Park, D. Yang, and K. Park, "Investigations on dynamic trading strategy utilizing stochastic optimal control and machine learning," Journal of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 348-353, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2013.23.4.348
- M. Dai, Q. Zhang, and Q. J. Zhu, "Optimal trend following trading rules," (July 19, 2011) Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1762118 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1762118.
- H. T. Kong, Q. Zhang, and G. G. Yin, "A trend-following strategy: Conditions for optimality," Automatica, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 661-667, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2011.01.039
- J. Yu, and Q. Zhang, "Optimal trend-following trading rules under a three-state regime switching model," Mathematical Control and Related Fields, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 81-100, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3934/mcrf.2012.2.81
- S. Mudchanatongsuk, J. A. Primbs, and W. Wong, "Optimal pairs trading: A stochastic control approach," In Proceedings of 2008 American Control Conference, 2008.
- J. Hensman, A. G. de G. Matthews, and Z. Ghahramani, "Scalable variational Gaussian process classification," arXiv preprint arXiv:1411.2005, 2014.
- Y. Gal, Y. Chen, and Z. Ghahramani, "Latent Gaussian processes for distribution estimation of multivariate categorical data," arXiv preprint arXiv:1503.02182, 2015.
- D. P. Kingma and M. Welling, "Auto-encoding variational Bayes," arXiv preprint arXiv:1312.6114, 2013.
- D. J. Rezende, S. Mohamed, and D. Wierstra, "Stochastic backpropagation and approximate inference in deep generative models," arXiv preprint arXiv:1401.4082, 2014.
- J. Park, J. Lim, W. Lee, S. Ji, K. Sung, and K. Park, "Modern probabilistic machine learning and control methods for portfolio optimization," International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, vol. 14, no. 2, pp.73-83, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2014.14.2.73
- H. Peyrl, F. Herzog, and H. P. Geering, "Numerical solution of the Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation for stochastic optmal control problems," In Proceedings of 2005 WSEAS Int. Conf. on dynamical systems and control, pp.489-497, 2005.
- T. Glasmachers, T. Schaul, Y. Sun, D. Wierstra, and J. Schmidhuber, "Exponential natural evolution strategies," In Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO), 2010.
- Investment Summary Retrieved March 18, 2016, from http://fount.co/
- Betterment Investing Made Better Retrieved March 18, 2016, from https://www.betterment.com/
- Investment Management, Online Financial Advisor Wealthfront Retrieved March 18, 2016, from https://www.wealthfront.com/
- Online Financial Advisor & Investing Advice FutureAdvisor Retrieved March 18, 2016, from https://www.futureadvisor.com/
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)