- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Measurement of Wax Appearance Temperature Using Image Processing
영상 처리기법을 이용한 오일의 왁스생성온도 측정
- Received : 2016.01.07
- Accepted : 2016.02.29
- Published : 2016.03.31
When the oil is produced in the low temperature environment, wax can be accumulated in petroleum production system(pipeline, riser) and causes problems such as pipeline stucking, disturbance of the oil production. These problems can be lead to time-consuming and economic losses for flow assurance. For prediction and mitigation of wax deposition, it is necessary to measure the Wax Appearance Temperature(WAT) which is a temperature when the wax crystals start to be formed. WAT standard measurement method of transparent oil has to determine the cloud point of sample to the naked eye and cannot be applied to continuous change of the temperature. In this study, wax behavior of transparent oil samples are recorded depending on temperature using Visualized WAT Measurement System. Also, WATs of transparent oil samples are measured by image processing and compared with the result of the standard method.
Wax;Flow Assurance;Wax Appearance Temperature;Image Processing
- Lee, H.S.: "Computational and Rheological Study of Wax Deposition and Gelation in Subsea Pipelines", PhD thesis, The University of Michigan, U.S.A, (2008).
- Brown, T.S., Niesen, V.G. and Erickson, D.D.: "The Effects of Light Ends and High Pressure on Paraffin Formation", SPE paper 28505 presented at the 69th SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in New Orleans, U.S.A., Sep. 25- 28, (1994).
- Lim, J.S., Kang, P.S., and Yu, S.R.: "Flow Assurance Technologies for Mitigating Wax Deposition in Subsea Petroleum Production System", J. of the Korean Society of Mineral and Energy Resources Engineers, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 278-296, (2013). https://doi.org/10.12972/ksmer.2013.50.2.278
- Lim, J.S., Back, S.Y., Kang, P.S., Yu, S.R., Kim, H.S., and Park, J.H.: "Wax Appearance Temperature Measurement of Opaque Oil for Flow Assurance in Subsea Petroleum Production System", J. of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 185-194, (2012). https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2012.36.1.185
- Nghiem, L.X., Kohse, B.F., Fanchi, J.R., and Lake, L.W.: "Petroleum Engineering Handbook : Volume I General Engineering", SPE, Texas, U.S.A. pp. 397-453, (2006).
- Sadeghazad, A., and Christiansen, R.L.: "The Effect of Cloud Point Temperature on Wax Deposition", SPE paper 49467 presented at 8th Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference held in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., Oct. 11-14, (1998).
- American Society for Testing and Materials: "ASTM D2500 Standard Test Method for Cloud Point of Petroleum Products", Book of ASTM Standards, (2011).
- Jung, S.Y., Kang, P.S., and Lim, J.S.: "An Experimental Study on the Effects of Internal Tubular Coatings on Mitigating Wax Deposition in Offshore Oil Production", International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, Vol. 38, No. 10, pp. 133-1339, (2014).
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)