- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Numerical Study on the Agglomeration of Algae by the Ultrasonic Wave
초음파를 이용한 미세조류 응집에 관한 수치해석 연구
Ha, Ji Soo;Shim, Sung Hun;Jung, Sang Hyun
- Received : 2016.02.19
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.03.31
In spite of various merit of algae as biofuel, the production cost of algae is a considerable obstacle for commercialization. The concurrent development of essential technologies is needed for the cultivating, harvesting, extracting and energy transformation. The production cost of algae biofuel has still higher than that of the other commercial biofuel. The major research activity has been focused on the cultivating and the research of other processes has been done with relatively lower activity. It is difficult to separate the algae from water because of the similar magnitude of density each other. The agglomeration and extracting of algae with the hybrid technology using ultrasonic wave is rare effect of environmental hazard and also it is appropriate technology for the next generation energy resources. The present research is investigated for the effective separation of algae from water with the ultrasonics wave. The aim of the present research is focused on the establishment of optimal design of algae agglomeration system. For this purpose, the computational fluid dynamic analysis has been conducted in the flow field with ultrasonic wave and algae flow to clarify the mechanism of algae separation by ultrasonic wave.
algae;ultrasonic;standing wave;computaional fluid dynamic analysis;agglomeration
- Neelma Munir et. al, "Harvesting and processing of microalgae biomass fraction for biodiesel production (A Review)", Sci, Tech. and Dev., Vol. 32, No. 3, 235-243, (2013).
- John J. Milledge, Sonia Heaven, "A review of the harvesting of micro-algae for biofuel production", Rev Environ Sci Biotechnol, Vol. 12, 165-178, (2013). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11157-012-9301-z
- Jae-Yon Lee, et. al.,, "Comparison of several methods for effective lipid extraction from microalgae", Bioresource Technology, Vol. 101, 75-77, (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.03.058
- S.V. Patankar, "Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow", 126-131, (1980).
- B.R. Munson, et al.,"Fluid Mechanics", 329-416, (2013).
- J.J. Harkes, et al., "Microparticle manipulation in millimetre scale ultrasonic standing wave chambers", Ultrasonic, Vol. 36, No. 9, 52-65, (2002).
- B. Hosten, "Ultrasonic wave generation by timegated microwaves", J. of Acoustic Society of America, Vol. 104, No. 2, 38-45, (1998).
- L. Zou, et. al., "Experimental investigation of an in-duct orifice with bias flow under medium and high level acoustic excitation", Int. Journal of Spray and Combustion Dynamics, Vol. 6, No. 3, 267-292, (2014). https://doi.org/10.1260/1756-82220.127.116.117
Supported by : 한국기계연구원