- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Proposal of an Algorithm for an Efficient Forward Link Adaptive Coding and Modulation System for Satellite Communication
- Ryu, Joon-Gyu ;
- Oh, Deock-Gil ;
- Kim, Hyun-Ho ;
- Hong, Sung-Yong
- Received : 2015.12.07
- Accepted : 2016.03.05
- Published : 2016.04.30
This paper proposes the algorithm for forward link adaptive coding and modulation (ACM) and the detailed design for a satellite communication system to improve network reliability and system throughput. In the ACM scheme, the coding and modulation schemes are changed by as much as the channel can provide depending on the quality of the communication link. To implement the forward link ACM system in the Ka-band, channel prediction and modulation/coding decision methods are proposed and simulated. The parameters of the adaptive filter predictor based on the least mean square are optimized, the minimum mean square error of the channel predictor is 0.0608 when step size and the number of filter tap are 0.0001 and 4, respectively. A test-bed is set up to verify the forward link ACM system, and a test is performed using a Ka-band satellite (i.e., Communication, Ocean, and Meteorological Satellite [COMS]). This test verifies that the ACM scheme can increase the system throughput.
Adaptive Coding and Modulation;DVB-S2;Link Budget;Satellite Communication
- European Telecommunications Standards Institute, Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Second generation framing structure, channel coding and modulation systems for Broadcasting, Interactive Services, News Gathering, and other broadband satellite applications, ETSI EN 302 307 v1.1.2, 2006.
- S. Kirtay, "Broadband satellite system technologies for effective use of the 12-30 GHz radio spectrum," Electronics & Communication Engineering Journal, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 79-88, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1049/ecej:20020205
- A. Morello and V. Mignone, "DVB-S2: the second generation standard for satellite broad-band services," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 210-227, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2005.861013
- G. Gardikis, N. Zotos, and A. Kourtis, "Satellite media broadcasting with adaptive coding and modulation," International Journal of Digital Multimedia Broadcasting, vol. 2009, article ID. 879290, 2009.
- H. Bischl, H. Brandt, T. de Cola, R. De Gaudenzi, E. Eberlein, N. Girault, et al., "Adaptive coding and modulation for satellite broadband networks: from theory to practice," International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 59-111, 2010.
- B. Sklar, Digital Communications, 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2001.
- A. Yafe, "Ka versus Ku-band: What makes the difference in VSAT technology?," Satellite Evolution Magazine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 30-32, 2011.
- S. P. Lee, J. H. Jo, M. H. You, and J. S. Choi, "Integration, testing and in orbit validation of Ka-band communication payload of COMS," in Proceedings of 2010 International Conference on Information and Communication Technology Convergence (ICTC), Jeju, Korea, 2010, pp. 309-313.
- J. G. Ryu, S. Y. Hong, and D. G. Oh, "Forward link ACM for satellite communication public test-bed via COMS," in Proceedings of 2013 IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), Las Vegas, NV, 2013, pp. 368-369.
- W. H. Kim and H. K. Kim, "Design and implementation of IP data reassembly processor for multimedia STB," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 1378-1382, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2008.4637630
- S. Kim Shin, K. Lim, K. Choi, and K. Kang, "Rain attenuation and Doppler shift compensation for satellite communications," ETRI Journal, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 31-42, 2002. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.02.0102.0104
- K. S. Choi, W. C. Jung, S. P. Lee, and J. H. Kim, "A collection system of the rain attenuation data for COMScommunication satellite," in Proceedings of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers Conference, Jeju, Korea, 2012.
Supported by : ETRI