- Volume 16 Issue 2
Wireless power transfer (WPT) efficiencies for multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) systems are formulated with a goal of achieving their maximums using Z matrices. The maximum efficiencies for any arbitrarily given configurations are obtained using optimum loads, which can be determined numerically through adequate optimization procedures in general. For some simpler special cases (single-input single-output, single-input multiple-output, and multiple-input single-output) of the MIMO systems, the efficiencies and optimum loads to maximize them can be obtained using closed-form expressions. These closed-form solutions give us more physical insight into the given WPT problem. These efficiencies are evaluated theoretically based on the presented formulation and also verified with comparisons with circuit- and EM-simulation results. They are shown to lead to a good agreement. This work may be useful for construction of the wireless Internet of Things, especially employed with energy autonomy.
Coupling Coefficient;Optimum Load Resistance;Transfer Efficiency;Wireless Power Transfer;Z Matrix
- B. K. Chung and H. T. Chuah, "Design and construction of a multipurpose wideband anechoic chamber," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 41-47, 2003.
- A. Kazemzadeh and A. Karlsson, "Capacitive circuit method for fast and efficient design of wideband radar absorbers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 2307-2314, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2009.2024490
- J. Tak, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Design of a metamaterial absorber for ISM applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1-7, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2013.13.1.1
- X. Shen, T. Cui, J. Zhao, H, Ma. W. Jiang, and H. Li, "Polarization independent wide-angle triple-band metamaterial absorber," Optics Express, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 9401-9407, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.19.009401
- H. Li, L. H. Yuan, B. Zhou, X. P. Shen, Q. Cheng, and T. J. Cui, "Ultrathin multiband gigahertz metamaterial absorbers," Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 110, no. 1, article no. 014909, 2011.
- R. L. Fante and M. T. McCormack, "Reflection properties of the Salisbury screen," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, vol. 36, no.10, pp. 1443-1454, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.8632
- A. P. Sohrab and Z. Atlasbaf, "A circuit analog absorber with optimum thickness and response in X-band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 12, pp. 276-279, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2013.2248073
- G. R. Zhang, P. H. Zhou, H. B. Zhang, L. B. Zhang, J. L. Xie, and L. J. Deng, "Analysis and design of triple-band high-impedance surface absorber with periodic diversified impedance," Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 114, no. 16, article no. 164103, 2013.
- B. K. Kim and B. Lee, "Design of metamaterial-inspired wideband absorber at X-band adopting trumpet structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 314-316, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2014.14.3.314
- G. Kim and B. Lee, "Design of wideband absorbers using RLC screen," Electronics Letters, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 834-836, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2014.4084
- B. K. Kim and B. Lee, "Wideband absorber at X-band adoption resistive trumpet structures," Electronics Letters, vol. 50, no. 25, pp. 1957-1959, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2014.2780
- F. Costa, S. Genovesi, A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "Low-cost metamaterial absorbers for sub-GHz wireless system," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol.13, pp. 27-30, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2013.2294791
- H. Zhang, P. Zhou, H. Lu, Y. Xu, J. Xie, and L. Deng, "Soft-magnetic-film based metamaterial absorber" Electronics Letters, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 435-437, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2011.3618
- S. Ghosh and K. V. Srivastava, "An equivalent circuit model of FSS-based metamaterial absorber using coupled line theory," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 14, pp. 511-514, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2014.2369732
- Y. Cheng, H. Yang, and N. Wu, "Perfect metamaterial absorber based on a split-ring-cross resonator," Applied Physics A, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 99-103, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00339-010-6022-4
- kQ-product formula for multiple-transmitter inductive power transfer system vol.14, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1587/elex.14.20161167
- High-efficiency wireless power transfer by optimal load and metamaterial slab vol.14, pp.14, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1587/elex.14.20170320
- Maximum efficiency formulation for inductive power transfer with multiple receivers vol.13, pp.22, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1587/elex.13.20160915
- An Effective Experimental Optimization Method for Wireless Power Transfer System Design Using Frequency Domain Measurement vol.17, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2017.17.4.208
- Control of Power Distribution for Multiple Receivers in SIMO Wireless Power Transfer System vol.18, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2018.18.4.221
- Wide Angle Scanning Circular Polarized Meta-Structured Antenna Array vol.E101.B, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1587/transcom.2017EBP3443
- Investigation of Single-Input Multiple-Output Wireless Power Transfer Systems Based on Optimization of Receiver Loads for Maximum Efficiencies vol.18, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2018.18.3.145
- Maximum Efficiency Formulation for Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Inductive Power Transfer Systems vol.66, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2018.2805339
- Toroidal-Shaped Coils for a Wireless Power Transfer System for an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle vol.19, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.26866/jees.2019.19.1.48
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)