- Volume 45 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Perceived Importance and Satisfaction of Foodservice Selection Attributes in University Students in Beijing, China
중국 북경지역 대학 급식소 고객의 급식선택속성에 대한 중요도와 만족도 평가
- Fan, Ming-Ming (Department of Food and Nutrition, Daegu University) ;
- Bae, Hyun-Joo (Department of Food and Nutrition, Daegu University)
- Received : 2015.10.16
- Accepted : 2016.04.04
- Published : 2016.04.30
This study was conducted to analyze the gap between importance and satisfaction of university foodservice attributes as well as to assess customer satisfaction with university foodservice establishments. All statistical analyses were conducted using the SPSS package program (ver. 20.0) for t-test, ANOVA, and Importance-Performance Analysis (IPA). A total of 619 valid responses were used for the data analysis. The results of this study are as follows: the composition of respondents was 53.5% males and 46.5% females. Exactly 85.5% of respondents ate lunch at least five times a week at the on-campus foodservice. The favorite lunch menus of Chinese university students were Chinese food (91.8%), followed by Western food (3.5%), Korean food (2.2%), and Japanese food (1.5%). According to the results of IPA, foodservice selection attributes that were priorities for improvement were food taste, food freshness, menu variety, waiting time for meal, and toilet cleanliness. In addition, five satisfaction factors were extracted by exploratory factor analysis. According to the results of one-way ANOVA, 'physical environment' and 'service quality' factors showed significant differences according to the students' grades and the frequency of eating lunch at on-campus foodservice. On the other hand, 'food quality and menu' and 'convenience and price' factors showed significant differences according to meal cost. In conclusion, in order to enhance customer satisfaction of on-campus foodservice, foodservice managers should offer a varied menu at reasonable prices and improve food quality.
Supported by : 대구대학교
- Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China. Number of students in higher education institutions. http://www.moe.edu.cn/publicfiles/business/htmlfiles/moe/s7567/201309/156872.html (accessed Oct 2015).
- Gil MJ. 2002. Measuring customers perception levels towards service quality attributes of Yanbian University of Science & Technology foodservice in China. MS Thesis. Yonsei Graduate School of Human Environmental Sciences, Seoul, Korea. p 1-34.
- Gao XR. 2011. A study on customer satisfaction of college dining room in Nanchang. PhD Dissertation. Jiangxi Agricultural University, Jiangxi, China. p 42-51.
- Gao Q. 2012. Research on the service satisfaction of students' dining room based on college students' consumption behavior. PhD Dissertation. Southwest Jiaotong University, Chengdu, China. p 62-66, 84-88.
- Xinhua Net. 2013. College students broke the on-campus foodservice facility because they are dissatisfied with the exclusive management of the college. http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2013-10/28/c_125607826.htm (accessed Oct 2015).
- Zhou L. 2009. A college for survey and countermeasure assessment of customer satisfaction of on-campus foodservice. Univ Logistics Research 4: 88-99.
- Wu KD. 2011. Situation and countermeasure of food hygiene and safety management of college dining room. Suzhou Univ Edu J 14: 69-70.
- Hui ZX. 2005. Discussion on management model of college dining room. Chinese J Food Hygiene 17: 36-38.
- Xiang LZ. 2009. Transfer of rights and risk management in outsourcing mode of college dining room. Friends of Accounting 1: 39-40.
- Luo H. 2009. Scientific development path of college dining room. Sichuan Univ Arts Sci J 19: 14-116.
- Yang JQ. 2005. Service marketing research of college dining room. Univ Logistics Research 2: 73-74.
- Guo XY, Zhao WX, Zhang QX. 2009. Situation and assessment of price management of college dining room. Modern Property Manag 8: 108-112.
- Fu ZY, Zhang F, Chen YF, Fan Y. 2009. Think of management on college dining room. Hebei Enterprises 9: 14-18.
- Chae MJ, Bae HJ, Yoon JY. 2008. Consumption practices and selection attributes of the university students on readyto- eat foods. J Foodservice Manag Soc Korea 11: 289-307.
- Choi MK, Choi SH, Lee S. 2009. An assessment of customer satisfaction towards university residence hall foodservice and subjective QOL (quality of life): focused on the university students in Daegu, Gyeongbuk area. Korean J Community Nutr 14: 114-122.
- Kim HS, Yoon JH. 2012. Development of multiple-item scale for measuring customer satisfaction of university foodservice. J Tourism Sciences 36: 297-315.
- Jang SC, Ha A, Silkes CA. 2009. Perceived attributes of Asian foods: From the perspective of the American customers. Int J Hosp Manage 28: 63-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2008.03.007
- Hair JF, Anderson RE, Tatham RL, Black WC. 2006. Multivariate data analysis with reading. Macmillan Publishing Company, New York, NJ, USA. p 75-90.
- Kim KS. 2007. Analysis of structural equation modeling. Hannarae Publishing Company, Seoul, Korea. p 92-150.
- Kim HK, Kim JH. 2005. Food habits and nutrition knowledge of college students residing in the dormitory in Ulsan area. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 1388-1397. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.9.1388
- Fan MM, Bae HJ. 2014. Analyzing the importance and satisfaction on the university foodservice selection attributes of foreign Chinese students in Gyeongbuk province. Korean J Food & Nutr 27: 128-135. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.1.128
- Chin HR. 2007. A comparative study regarding Chinese's perception on Korean food: focused on the residents in Beijing & Shanghai. MS Thesis. Sejong University, Seoul, Korea. p 51-54.
- Song JS, Moon SJ. 2011. Survey of Chinese university or college students' preference for and satisfaction with Korean food in Daegu and Gyeongbuk. Korean J Food Culture 26: 113-119.
- Ha KH. 2010. Survey of Korean food acknowledgement and preference by Chinese students in Daejeon. Korean J Food & Nutr 23: 186-195.
- Jung HY, Jeon EY. 2011. Preference for Korean food and satisfaction of dormitory foodservice by Chinese students studying at Mokpo National University. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 283-289. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.2.283
- Yi NY. 2015. Mediating effects of perceived value on the relationship between university foodservice quality attributes and satisfaction of Chinese students in Daejeon. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44: 1750-1758. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.11.1750
- Yi NY. 2012. Importance-Performance Analysis (IPA) of service quality attributes of university foodservice-A comparison of male and female students' perceptions in Daejeon. Korean J Hum Ecol 21: 389-405. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.2.389
- Song E. 2007. Effects of a quality assessment of a university dormitory foodservice on the relationship intention toward the foodservice -Focusing on the university dormitories for female students in Gwangju-. Korean J Food & Nutr 20: 525-534.
- Kim KJ, Ahn SH, Kim YJ, Lee JH, Park KY. 2012. A comparison study on selection attributes and satisfaction in the university foodservice using IPA -Focused on difference in accessibility to outside restaurants-. Korean J Culinary Res 18: 104-119.
- Perception of Foodservice Quality according to the Customer Loyalty among University Students in Daegu·Gyeongbuk Area vol.34, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.1.113