- Volume 45 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on Importance-Performance Analysis Regarding Selection Attributes of Rice-Convenience Foods
쌀을 이용한 편의식품의 선택속성에 관한 중요도-수행도 분석(IPA)
- Park, Hyojin (Department of Nutritional Science and Food Management, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Oh, Narae (Department of Nutritional Science and Food Management, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Jang, Jin-A (Department of Nutritional Science and Food Management, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Yoon, Hei Ryeo (Division of Food Service, Major in Foodservice Management and Nutrition, Kongju National University) ;
- Cho, Mi Sook (Department of Nutritional Science and Food Management, Ewha Womans University)
- 박효진 (이화여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 오나래 (이화여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 장진아 (이화여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 윤혜려 (공주대학교 식품과학부 외식상품학전공) ;
- 조미숙 (이화여자대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2015.12.02
- Accepted : 2016.03.16
- Published : 2016.04.30
This study was carried out to establish an effective marketing strategy based on Importance-Performance Analysis (IPA) of rice-convenience foods. IPA is one of the most efficient and simple methods to evaluate product quality. Data were collected from 652 people (320 males and 332 females) and analyzed by SPSS 19.0. Subjects consumed rice-convenience foods as a snack substitute (19.3%), breakfast (20.7%), lunch (37.4%), dinner (15.2%), and late-night meal (7.4%). The purpose for consumption of rice-convenience foods were as follows: light meal (34.8%), lack of time to prepare meal (42.2%), favorite restaurant is not nearby (2.3%), save money (3.4%), and outdoor activities (9.7%). All attributes about rice-convenience foods were categorized into intrinsic property and extrinsic property. As a result of factor analysis, health, sensibility, and diversity factors were extracted from intrinsic property. In addition, dependence and appearance factors were drawn from extrinsic property. In analyzing the differences between importance and performance, there were significant differences; 16 items in the intrinsic property (P<0.01), and 10 items in the extrinsic property (P<0.001). The IPA matrix is composed of four quadrants, and each represents different strategies; the first, 'keep up the good work', the second, 'possible overkill', the third, 'low priority for management', and the fourth, 'concentrate management'. As a result, factors of rice-convenience foods positioned in the fourth quadrant were 'safety (from food additives, etc.)' and 'price' in the intrinsic property and 'nutrition label' and 'safety of packaging material' in the extrinsic property. They need to be improved immediately. In this study, rice-convenience food factors for continuous maintenance and concentrative improvement were compared by IPA. Based upon the results of this study, it is necessary to develop methods to make efficient use of limited resources and practical marketing strategies.
Grant : 농축산물부가가치향상기술 개발
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Rhee KC, Rhee EY, Lee KY, Hwang IK, Kim MJ, Kim YO. 1989. A study on the consumer behavior in the industrial society -Commodity substitution and buying behavior for food, clothing and shelter of households in Seoul-. Fam Environ Res 27: 115-132.
- Kim JY, Song HJ, Park SS. 2005. Segmentation of the home meal replacement (HMR) market by lifestyle: the case of S department store in Kang-nam, Seoul. J Foodservice Manag Soc Korea 8: 137-154.
- Lee EJ, Kim EM. 2014. Survey of preference and present use of convenience foods for North Korean refugees. Korean J Culinary Res 20: 147-158.
- MAFRA. http://www.mafra.go.kr/list.jsp?newsid=155447111§ion_id=b_sec_1&listcnt=5&pageNo=1&year=&group_id=3&menu_id=1125&link_menu_id=&division=B&board_kind=C&board_skin_id=C3&parent_code=3&link_url=&depth=1 (accessed Sep 2015).
- Chae MJ, Bae HJ, Yoon JY. 2008. Consumption practices and selection attributes on the university students on readyto-eat foods. J Foodservice Manag Soc Korea 11: 289-307.
- Candel MJJM. 2001. Consumers' convenience orientation towards meal preparation: conceptualization and measurement. Appetite 36: 15-28. https://doi.org/10.1006/appe.2000.0364
- Carrigan M, Szmigin I, Leek S. 2006. Managing routine food choices in UK families: the role of convenience consumption. Appetite 47: 372-383. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2006.05.018
- Kim HY, Choi SH, Ju SE. 1996. A survey of the behaviors on fast food restaurants. Korean J Dietary Culture 11: 71-82.
- Han MH, Choi KB, Lyu ES. 2014. Study on consumption patterns and degree of checking food-nutrition labeling of convenience foods at convenience stores by young adult workers in Busan. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 43: 309-317. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.2.309
- Ryu MH. 2013. College student consumers' safety pursuit behavior at the purchase of ready-to-eat food. Korean Review of Crisis & Emergency Management 9: 59-81.
- Seo KA, Song JE, Han JS. 1993. A study on the pattern of shopping, the level of customers' cognition and the level of satisfaction for foods sold in "24-hour market store" in Taegu city. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 3: 73-81.
- Jung YH, Kim HI. 2014. The research of selection attributes of the convenience food affect the product selection and satisfaction. J of Hotel & Resort 13: 247-262.
- Kim YA, Lee BC, Youn HW. 2015. A study on single people's satisfaction of convenience foods and repurchase intention according to food-related lifestyle. J of Tourism and Leisure Res 27: 433-452.
- Cho WK, Lee CM. 1991. The study on the tendency of consumption in some processed convenient food according to household income levels. Korean J Soc Food Sci 7: 51-74.
- Moon SJ, Yoon HJ, Kim JH, Lee YJ. 1998. A study on the perception and consumption pattern of convenience foods by Korean college students. Korean J Dietary Culture 13: 227-239.
- Duke CR, Persia MA. 1996. Performance-importance analysis of escorted tour evaluations. J Travel & Tourism Marketing 5: 207-223. https://doi.org/10.1300/J073v05n03_03
- Martilla JA, James JC. 1977. Importance-performance analysis. J Marketing 41: 77-79. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250495
- Lee HW. 2009. Consumers attitude toward rice processed foods based on food-related lifestyle. MS Thesis. Korean University of Yeonsei Graduate School, Seoul, Korea. p 14-17.
- Kim YK, Kim JY. 2009. A study on the lifestyles of wine consumers in relationship with wine selections attributes, values and satisfaction. Korean J Tourism Research 23: 239-258.
- Yoon H. 2008. A study on customer service encounters at a large food court customer using importance-performance analysis. Korean J Food & Nutr 21: 97-105.
- Ju SY. 2012. Study on importance-performance analysis regarding selective attributes of home meal replacement (HMR). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 1639-1644. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.11.1639
- Cha SY, Park YI, Jeong HS. 2014. A study of consumer importance-satisfaction on prepackaged meals (Dosirak) sold by food service providers. Korean J Food & Nutr 27: 136-146. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.1.136
- Analysis of Perception and Satisfaction of Vinegar-Based Sauce: Focus on IPA Skills vol.31, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2016.31.5.465
- Importance-Satisfaction Analysis of Selection Attributes and Consumer Demand for the Development of Healthy Premium Gimbap vol.34, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.2.201