- Volume 45 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Opinion of Commercialization of Ready-to-Eat Korean Foods by Food-Related Lifestyle Segments in Koreans and Non-Koreans
내국인 외국인의 식생활라이프스타일에 따른 세분시장별 한식 편의식품 상품화 의견
- Yi, Na-Young (Department of Food and Nutrition, Daejeon University) ;
- Choi, Bo-Ram (Major in Nutrition Education, Graduate School of Education, Dankook University) ;
- Chang, Hye-Ja (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University)
- Received : 2015.12.30
- Accepted : 2016.02.01
- Published : 2016.04.30
The purposes of this study were to explore food-related lifestyle segments for commercialization of ready-to-eat Korean foods, to identify their demographic characteristics, and to evaluate perceptions and preferences related to Korean foods. The subjects consisted of 266 Koreans and 212 non-Koreans in Seoul, Gyeonggi, and Daejeon, Korea including in Grapevine of the US. Koreans' scores for food-related lifestyle of taste seeking and convenience seeking were significantly higher than those of non-Koreans. Through cluster analysis, four segments for Koreans were identified: health-oriented group, diet-oriented group, rationality-oriented group, and price-sensitive group. The clusters for non-Koreans were classified into four segments: taste-oriented group, rationality-oriented group, diet-oriented group, and convenience-oriented group. Significant differences were detected among the four segments in terms of demographic characteristics. There were significant differences in perceptions and preferences related to Korean foods by food-related lifestyle segments of non-Koreans. Japchae, Bibimbap, and Naengmyeon were selected as the most likely to purchase ready-to-eat food items for Korean clusters, whereas Bulgoggi and Bibimbap were selected for non-Korean clusters. This study shows that food companies wanting to promote commercialization of Korean foods should consider characteristics of each segment of food-related lifestyle.
Supported by : 한국과학재단
- Kwak TK, Lee KE, Park HW, Ryu K, Choi EJ, Hong WS, Chang HJ, Kim SH. 1997. The survey of housewives' perception for the development of refrigerated convenience foods for Koreans. Korean J Dietary Culture 12: 391-400.
- Kwak TK, Shon SS, Yoon S, Park HW, Ryu K, Hong WS, Chang HJ, Moon HK, Choi JH. 2000. Quality assessment of cook/chilled soy sauce glazed soybean curd packaged with different methods for the development of health-oriented convenience foods. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16: 99-111.
- Kim GT, Koo KM, Paik HD, Lyu ES, Lee DS. 2001. Processing and storage of spinach products using cook-chill and sous vide methods. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 1095-1101.
- Lee HG, Choi YJ. 1998. Dietary survey in Kyeonggido area. Korean J Dietary Culture 13: 393-403.
- Son YJ. 2005. A study on the need of development for tourism merchandising of regional cuisine in Kyonggi province. Tourism Research 21: 211-226.
- Khoe KI, Sul WS. 2008. A study on the entering strategies of Korean traditional food in Chinese market. Korean J Food Marketing Economics 25: 125-152.
- Park JW, Lee DW. 2008. Awareness of local food menus development in Gangwon-do. Korea J Tourism and Hospitality Research 22: 179-190.
- Chang HJ, Choi BR, Yi NY, Park BS, Kim HS. 2010. Preferences and product development opinions of Koreans and non-Koreans regarding commercialization of Korean foods. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25: 458-468.
- Lee YJ. 2007. A study on the recognition, satisfaction, and revisit intentions of Japanese tourists based on traditional Korean foods. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 156-164.
- Shin SM. 2008. A study on the development of a Korean traditional food data integration system. Korean J Food & Nutr 21: 545-522.
- Kim MH, Woo N, Chung HK. 2011. Acceptance process and globalization strategy for Korean food introduced into Vietnam. Korean J Food Culture 26: 199-210.
- Chang HJ. 2010. Commercialization of Korean traditional food applicable to cook-chill system and development of quality management standards using the concept of risk analysis. Ministry of Education Final Report, Seoul, Korea. p 97-98.
- Kim JY, Ahn BI. 2015. Effect of consumers' dietary lifestyle on the consumption pattern of processed foods. Korean J Food Marketing Economics 32: 31-53.
- Kim KH, Kim KM. 2010. A study on Chinese consumers' Korean food consumption behavior based on food-related lifestyle. Korean J Food Marketing Economics 27: 41-62.
- Brunso K, Grunert KG. 1995. Development and testing of a cross-culturally valid instrument: Food-related lifestyle. Adv Consum Res 22: 475-480.
- Kotler P. 1983. Principles of marketing. 2nd ed. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA. p 173.
- Kesic T, Piri-Rajh S. 2003. Market segmentation on the basis of food-related lifestyles of Croatian families. Br Food J 105: 162-174. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070700310477112
- Seung HS. 2005. A study on using behavior of bakery by dietary lifestyle. MS Thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Han JS, Kim JS, Kim SY, Kim MS, Otani K, Minamide T. 1998. A survey of Japanese perception of and preference for Korean foods. Korean J Soc Food Sci 14: 188-194.
- Joo N, Kennon LR, Sim YJ, Lee KA, Jeong HS, Park SJ, Chun HJ. 2001. The perception and preference of Americans residing in Korea for Korean traditional food. J Korean Home Economics Assoc 39: 15-23.
- Jang M, Cho M. 2000. Recognition and preference to Korean traditional food of foreign visitors in Korea. Korean J Food Culture 15: 215-223.
- Park YS, Chung YS. 2005. Korean traditional food perception and cultural aspect of Korean Mongolian housewives. Korean J Food Culture 20: 35-43.
- Kweon SY, Yoon SJ. 2006. Recognition and preference to Korean traditional food of Chinese at Seoul residence. Korean J Food Culture 21: 17-30.
- Lim YM, Yoon HH. 2006. A study on the food-related life style to wine selection attribution. Korea J Tourism and Hospitality Research 20: 289-300.
- Chang HJ. 2013. The Series of 2013 Basic Research Project: Development and commercialization of well-being menu for the middle class active silver generation. YoulChon Foundation, Seoul, Korea. p 213-327.
- Choi SW, Kim KJ. 2013. The effect of Yaksun food awareness and preference on customer loyalty. FoodService Industry Journal 9: 59-71. https://doi.org/10.22509/kfsa.2013.9.2.005
- Cho SH, An HM. 2013. The effect of purchase motivation and selection attribute of home meal replacement of longterm orientation upon food-related lifestyle. J Hospitality and Tourism Studies 15: 370-391.
- Kim MJ, Jung HS, Yoon HY. 2007. A study on the relationships between food-related lifestyle of undergraduates and the restaurant selection attribute. Korean J Food Culture 22: 210-217.
- Institute of Traditional Korean Food. 2009. Beautiful 300 Korean foods. Jilsiru Ltd., Seoul, Korea. p 1-392.
- Song JJ. 2009. SPSS/AMOS statistic analysis method for the thesis. The 21 Century Publisher, Gyeonggi-do, Korea. p 106.
- Yong T, Shi-hua M, Feng-mei G. 2007. Empirical study on impact of logistics operations capability on supply chain performance. The 3rd International Conference on Wireless Communications Networking, and Mobile Computing (WiCOM). Shanghai, China.
- Kim KH. 2010. Effect of a Food-related lifestyle on the consumption of and satisfaction with Korean foods, and intention to revisit. J Korea Contents Assoc 10: 370-380.
- Kim KM, Kim KH. 2010. Korean food market segmentation strategies and applied food-related lifestyles. Korean J Food Culture 25: 466-472.
- Jang YJ. 2010. Food-related lifestyle segments of older consumers in Seoul and its characteristics. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 146-153. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.1.146
- Kim KH. 2011. Study on Japanese consumers' Korean food consumption behaviors and market segmentation based on food-related lifestyle -Focusing on inbound Japanese tourist-. Korean J Food Culture 26: 614-620.
- Segmentation of the Home Meal Replacement Product Market by Food-Related Lifestyle of Japanese Consumers vol.32, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.4.492
- Survey on the Status and Needs of Korean Food Consumption for the Development of Home Meal Replacement for Chinese and Japanese vol.27, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2017.8.27.4.420