- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Extreme Wind Speeds in Korean Peninsula using Typhoon Monte Carlo Simulation
태풍 시뮬레이션을 통한 한반도 극한풍속 추정
- Received : 2015.10.12
- Accepted : 2015.12.19
- Published : 2016.04.29
The long-span bridges such as Incheon Bridge and Seohae Grand Bridge are located on the coastal region effected frequently by strong wind of typhoons. In order to ensure the wind-resistant performance of the structure, estimation of the proper design wind speed is very important. In this study, stochastic estimation of design wind speed incurred by typhoons is carried out. For this purpose, we first established probability distribution of climatological parameters such as central pressure depth, distance of closest approach, translation speed and heading to build statistical model of typhoons, which are employed in Monte Carlo simulation for hypothetical typhoons. Once a typhoon is generated with statistically justified parameters, wind speeds are estimated along its path using wind field model. Thousands of typhoons are generated and their peak wind speeds are utilized to establish the extreme wind speeds for different return period. The results are compared with design basic wind speeds in Korean Highway Bridge Design Code, showing that the present results agree well with similar studies while the existing code suggests higher design wind speed.
typhoon;typhoon simulation;design wind speed
- American Society of Civil Engineers (1990) ASCE 7-88 Standards, Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, New York, United States of America, p.94.
- Batts, M.E., Simiu, E., Russell, L.R. (1980) Hurricane Wind Speeds in the United States, J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 106(10), pp.2001-2016.
- Cho, H.N., Cha, C.J., Baik, H.S. (1989) Probability-based Estimation of Basic Design Wind Speeds in Korea, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 2(2), pp.63-72.
- Fujii, T. (1998) Statistical Analysis of the Characteristics of Severe Typhoons Hitting the Japanese Main Islands, Monthly Weather Review, 126(4), pp.1091-1097. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1998)126<1091:SAOTCO>2.0.CO;2
- Georgiou, P.N., Davenport, A.G., Vickery, B.J. (1983) Design Wind Speeds Regions Dominated by Tropical Cyclones, J. Wind Eng. & Industrial Aerodyn., 13(1-3), pp.139-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(83)90136-8
- Graham, H.E., Nunn, D.E. (1959) Meterological Considerations Pertinent to Standard Project Hurricane, Atlantic and Gulf Coasts of the United States, National Hurricane Research Project Report, Report No.33, U.S. Weater Bureau, Washington, D.C, p.76.
- Haun, Z., Rosowsky, D.V., Sparks, P.R. (2001) Hurricane Simulation Techniques for the Evaluation of Wind-speeds and Expected Insurance losses, J. Wind Eng. & Industrial Aerodyn., 89(7-8), pp.605-617. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00061-7
- Kim, H.S., Lee, H.H., Cho, D.Y., Park, S.K. (2011) Estimation of Design Wind Speed Compatible for Long-span Bridege in Western and Southern Sea, J. Korea Inst. Struct. Maint. & Insp., 15(2), pp.153-160.
- Kim, S.C., Kim, Y.S., Yang, Y.T. (2005) Assessment of Severe Local Storm Risks in Ulsan Area using Monte Carlos Typhoon Simulation Method and CFD Model, J. Wind Eng. & Industrial Aerodyn., 9(1), pp.45-54.
- Kwon, S.D., Lee, J.H. (2008) Estimation of Extreme Wind Speeds in Southern and Western Coasts by Typhoon Simulation, J. Korean Soc. Civil Eng., 28(4), pp.431-438.
- Kwon, S.D., Lee, S.L. (2009) Estimation of Design Wind Velocity Based on Short Term Measurements, J. Korean Soc. Civil Eng., 29(3A), pp.209-216.
- Lee, S.L., Kim, S.W. (2013) Estimation of Basic Wind Speed at Bridge Construction Site Based on short-term Measurements, J. Korean Soc. Civil Eng., 33(4), pp.1271-1279. https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.4.1271
- Lee, Y.K. (2009) Development of Model for Wind Hazard Assessment Based on Geographical Information, ph. D. Dissertation, Chungbuk National University, p.219.
- Lee, Y.K., Lee, S. (2008) Estimation of surface Wind during Typhoon around Korean Peninsula, J. Wind Eng. & Industrial Aerodyn., 12(2), pp.121-128.
- Lee, Y.K., Lee, S., Park, C.W. (2007) Analysis on Radii of Maximum Sustained Winds of Typhoons around Korean Peninsula, J. Wind Eng. & Industrial Aerodyn., 11(2), pp.203-210.
- Lee, Y.K., Lee, S., Ham, H.J., Bienkiewicz, B. (2009) Estimation of Design Wind Speed for Offshore Structures, J. Wind Eng. & Industrial Aerodyn., 13(3), pp.129-135.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs(MLTMA) (2010) Korean Highway Bridge Design Code (in Korean). Korea Road & Transpotation Association, p.6-49.
- National Emergency Management Agency (2014) Disaster Annals, 11-1750000-000031-10, Ministry of Public Safety and Security, p.722.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Adminsitration (1972) Revised Standard Project Hurricane Criteria for the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts of the United States, Memorandum HUR7-120, U.S. Department of Commerce, p.47.
- National Typhoon Center, http://typ.kma.go.kr/TYPHOON/statistics/statistics_02_3.jsp/ (Accessed: June, 10, 2015).
- Russell, L.R. (1971) Probability Distributions for Hurricane Effects. J. Waterw. Harbors & Coastal Eng., ASCE, 97(1), pp.139-154.
- Sanchez-Sesma, J., Aguirre, J., Sen, M. (1988) Simple Modeling Procedure for Estimation of Cyclonic Wind Speeds, J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 114(2), pp.352-370 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:2(352)
- Schloemer, R.W. (1954) Analysis and Synthesis of Hurricane Wind Patterns over Lake Okechobee, Florida. Hydrometeorological Report No.31, U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Weather Bureau, Washington, D.C, p.49.
- Simiu, E., Scanlan, R.H. (1996) Wind effects on structures, Wiley Interscience, New York, p.688.
- Vickery, P.J., Twisdale. L.A. (1995a) Prediction of Hurricane Wind Speeds in the United States, J. Struct. Eng., 121(11), pp.1691-1699. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:11(1691)
- Vickery, P.J., Twisdale, L.A. (1995b) Wind Field and Filling Models for Hurricane Wind-speed Predictions, J. Struct. Eng., 121(11), pp.1700-1709. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:11(1700)
Supported by : 국민안전처