- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Simulation of Multi-Cracking in a Reinforced Concrete Beam by Extended Finite Element Method
확장유한요소법을 이용한 철근 콘크리트 보의 다중균열 해석
- Received : 2016.03.28
- Accepted : 2016.04.18
- Published : 2016.04.29
Recently, extensive research on crack analysis using extended finite element method(XFEM) which has main advantages in element re-meshing and visualization of cracks has been conducted. However, its application was restricted to the members of a single material. In this study, the applicability and feasibility of the XFEM to the multiple crack analysis of reinforced concrete beams were demonstrated. ABAQUS which has implemented XFEM was used for the crack analysis and its results were compared with test results. Enriched degree-of-freedom locking phenomenon was discovered and its causes and the ways to prevent it were suggested. The locking occurs when cracks in the adjacent elements simultaneously develop. A modelling technique for multiple cracking similar to test results was also proposed. The analysis with XFEM showed similar results to the tests in terms of crack patterns, spacing of cracks, and load-deflection relationship.
extended finite element method(XFEM);reinforced concrete;three point bending test(3PBT);phantom node methods;crack analysis
- Belytschko, T., Black, T. (1999) Elastic Crack Growth in Finite Elements with Minimal Remeshing, Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng., 45(5), pp.601-620. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0207(19990620)45:5<601::AID-NME598>3.0.CO;2-S
- Belytschko, T., Budyn, E. Zi, G., Moes, N. (2004) A Method for Multiple Crack Growth in Brittle Materials without Remeshing, Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng., 61, pp.1741-1770. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1130
- Belytschko, T., Rabczuk, T. (2006) Application of Particle Methods to Static Fracture of Reinforced Concrete Structures, Int. J. Fract., 137, pp.19-49. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10704-005-3075-z
- Carpinteri, A., Carmona, J.R., Ventura, G. (2011) Failure Mode Transitions in Reinforced Concrete Beams-Part2: Experimental Tests, ACI Struct. J., 108, pp.286-293
- Cervenka, J., Saouma, V.E. (1994) Discrete Crack Modeling In Concrete Structures, Fracture Mechanics of Concrete Structures.
- Dahlblom, O., Ottosen, N.S. (1990) Smeared Crack Analysis Using Generalized Fictitious Crack Model, J. Eng. Mech., 116, pp.55-76. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1990)116:1(55)
- Hansbo, P., Hansbo, A. (2004) A Finite Flement Method for the Simulation of Strong and Weak Discontinuities in Solid Mechanics, Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. & Eng., 193, pp.3523-3540. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2003.12.041
- Jouan, G., Kotronis, P., Collin, F. (2012) Numerical Modeling of A 3 Point Bending Test of A Reinforced Concrete Beam Using a Second Gradient Theory, European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering.
- Kim, H.S., Yoo, H.S. (2015) Drying Shrinkage Crack Analysis of Concrete using Optimized Prony Series, J. Arch. Inst. Korea, 31, pp.27-34.
- Lee, S.H., Song, J. H., Yoon, Y.C., Zi, G., Belytschko, T. (2004) Combined Extended and Superimposed Finite Element Method for Cracks, Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng., 59, pp.1119-1136. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.908
- Liu, P.F., Zhang, B.J., Zheng, J.Y. (2012) Finite Element Analysis of Plastic Collapse and Crack behavior of Steel Pressure Vessels and Piping using XFEM, J. fail. anal. & Prev., 12, pp.707-718. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11668-012-9623-8
- Michael, J.M. (2009) Implementation of The Extended Finite Element Method in the ABAQUS Sofrware Package, Georgia Institute of Technology, Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, p.51.
- Rabczuk, T., Bordas, S., Zi, G. (2007) A Three-dimensional Meshfree Method for Continuous Multiple-crack Initiation, Propagation and Juction in Statics and Dynamics, Computational Mechanics, 40, pp.473-495. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00466-006-0122-1
- Rabczuk, T., Zi, G., Gerstenberger, A., Wall, W.A. (2008) A New Crack Tip Element for the Phantom-node Method with Arbitrary Cohesive Cracks, Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng., 75, pp.577-599. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.2273
- Song, J.H., Areias, P.M.A., Belytschko, T. (2006) A Method for Dynamic Crack and Shear Band Propagation with Phantom Nodes, Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng., 67, pp.868-893. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1652
- Stolarska, M., Chopp, D.L., Moes, N., Belytschko, T. (2001) Modelling Crack Growth by Level Sets in the Extended Finite Element Method, Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng., 51, pp.943-960. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.201
- Zi, G., Yu, S.M., Chau-Dinh, T., Mun, S.H. (2010) Analysis of Static Crack Growth in Asphalt Concrete using the Extended Finite Element Method, Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 30, pp.387-393.
- Zi, G., Song, J.H., Lee, S.H. (2005) A New Method for Growing Multiple Cracks without Remeshing and Its Application to Fatique Crack Growth, Korean Soc. Civil Eng., 25, pp.183-190.
- Two-Dimensional Model Analysis for Extended Finite Element Method(XFEM) Verification of General Purpose Finite Element Analysis Program vol.31, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2018.31.4.199
Supported by : 한국연구재단