- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Rational Application of 3D Numerical Analysis for Anchored Earth Retaining Wall
앵커지지 흙막이 벽체의 합리적인 3차원 수치해석기법 적용에 관한 연구
Jeong, Sang-Seom;Sim, Jae-Uk;Lee, Sung-June
- Received : 2016.02.01
- Accepted : 2016.03.28
- Published : 2016.04.29
This paper presents the results of 2D and 3D finite element simulations conducted to analyze the effects of excavation depth (H), excavation width (L), and ground condition on the behavior of anchored earth retaining wall in inclined ground layers. The results of numerical analyses are compared with those of the site instrumentation analyses. Based on the results obtained, it appeared that 2D numerical analysis tends to overestimate the horizontal displacement of retaining wall compared to the 3D numerical analysis. When the excavation depth is deeper than 20m, it is found that 2D and 3D numerical analysis results of excavation work in soil ground condition are more different from the results in rock ground condition. For an accurate 3D numerical analysis, applying 3D mesh which has an excavation width twice longer than excavation depth is recommended. Consequently, 3D numerical analysis may be able to offer significantly better predictions of movement than 2D analysis.
Anchored earth retaining wall;Inclined ground;2D FE analysis;3D FE Analysis
- Bono, N. A., Liu, T. K., and Soydemir, C. (1992), "Performance of an Internally Braced Slurry-diaphragm Wall for Excavation Support", Slurry Walls: Design, Construction, and Quality Control, ASTM Special Topic Publication, Vol.1129, pp.347-360.
- Brinkgrave, R. B., Broere, W., and Waterman, D. (2005), "PLAXIS 2D - Version 8", PLAXIS B. V., Netherlands.
- Clarke, B. G. and Wroth, C. P. (1984), "Analysis of Dunton Green Retaining Wall based on Results of Pressuremeter Tests", Geotechnique, Vol.34, pp.549-561. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19220.127.116.119
- Clough, G. W. and O'Rourke, T. D. (1990), "Construction Induced Movements of in Situ Walls", Proceedings of Design and Performance of Earth Retaining Structures, Vol.25, pp.439-470.
- Finno, R. J., Blackburn, J. T., and Roboski, J. F. (2007), "Three-dimensional Effects for Supported Excavations in Clay", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.133(1), pp.30-36. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2007)133:1(30)
- Finno, R. J., Harahap, I. S., and Sabatini, P. J. (1991), "Analysis of Braced Excavations with Coupled Finite Element Formulations", Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.12(2), pp.91-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-352X(91)90001-V
- Hashash, Y. M. and Whittle, A. J. (1996), "Ground Movement Prediction for Deep Excavations in Soft Clay", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.122(6), pp.474-486. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1996)122:6(474)
- Hubbard, H. W., Potts, D. M., Miller, D., and Burland, J. B. (1984), "Design of the Retaining Walls for the M25 Cut and Cover Tunnel at Bell Common", Geotechnique, Vol.34(4), pp.495-512. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1918.104.22.1685
- Jang, C. S. (2002), Application of genetic algorithm to the back analysis of the underground excavation system, PhD thesis, Chung-Ang University, Korea.
- Jeong, S. S. and Kim, Y. H. (2008), "Characteristics of Collapsed Retaining Walls Using Elasto-plastic Method and Finite Element Method", Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.25(4), pp.19-29.
- Jeong, S. S., Kim, B. C., Won, J. O., and Lee, J. H. (2003), "Uncoupled Analysis of Stabilizing Piles in Weathered Slopes", Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.30(8), pp.671-682. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2003.07.002
- Korea Rail Network Authority (2013), "Structural Design Report for Suseo High Speed Railway (in Korean language)", Korea.
- Korean Geotechnical Society (2015), "Korea Specification for Substructures (in Korean language)", Korea.
- Lee, S. and Kim, S. K. (2008), "A Study on Deformation Analysis of the Earth Retaining Wall", Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.24(2), pp.27-36.
- Lee, F. H., Yong, K. Y., Quan, K. C., and Chee, K. T. (1998), "Effect of Corners in Strutted Excavations: Field Monitoring and Case Histories", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.124(4), pp.339-349. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(1998)124:4(339)
- Ou, C. Y., Chiou, D. C., and Wu, T. S. (1996), "Three-dimensional Finite Element Analysis of Deep Excavations", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 122(5), pp.337-345. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1996)122:5(337)
- Potts, D. M. and Fourie, A. B. (1984), "The behaviour of a Propped Retaining Wall: Results of a Numerical Experiment", Geotechnique, Vol.34(3), pp.383-404. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1922.214.171.1243
- Powrie, W. and Li, E. S. F. (1991), "Finite Element Analyses of an in Situ Wall Propped at Formation Level", Geotechnique, Vol.41(4), pp.499-514. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19126.96.36.1999
- Shin, J. W. and Kim, D. S. (2004), "Comparison of Displacement of the Braced Retaining Wall by Developed Elasto-plastic Analysis", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol.19(2), pp.112-118.
- Simpson, B. (1992), "Retaining Structures: Displacement and Design", Geotechnique, Vol.42(4), pp.541-576. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19188.8.131.521
- Terzaghi, K. and Peck, R. B. (1967), "Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice", 2nd Ed. John Wiley & Sons Inc. New York.
- Whittle, A. J., Hashash, Y. M., and Whitman, R. V. (1993), "Analysis of Deep Excavation in Boston", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.119(1), pp.69-90. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1993)119:1(69)
Supported by : 한국연구재단