- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Relative Density on Lateral Load Capacity of a Cyclic Laterally Loaded Pile in Sandy Soil
모래지반의 상대밀도에 따른 횡방향 반복재하 시 말뚝의 극한지지력 평가
Baek, Sung-Ha;Kim, Joon-Young;Lee, Seung-Hwan;Chung, Choong-Ki
- Received : 2016.03.04
- Accepted : 2016.04.16
- Published : 2016.04.29
Pile foundations used as offshore support structures are dominantly subjected to cyclic lateral loads due to wind and waves. In this study, a series of cyclic lateral load tests were performed on a pre-installed aluminum flexible pile in sandy soil with three different relative densities (40%, 70% and 90%) in order to evaluate the effect of cyclic lateral loads on lateral load capacity of a pile. The cyclic lateral loads increased the lateral load capacity of a pile at 40% relative density, whereas they decreased it at 70% and 90% relative densities. This can be explained by the fact that the cyclic lateral loads slightly densified the surrounding soil in relatively loose sand (40%), while the surrounding soil was disturbed in relatively dense sand (70% and 90%). These effects were more obvious as the cyclic lateral load amplitude increased, being independent with the saturation. Also, from the test results, an empirical equation for the lateral load capacity of a cyclic laterally loaded pile in sandy soil was developed in terms of relative density of the soil and the cyclic lateral load amplitude.
Pile foundation;Model pile test;Lateral load capacity;Cyclic lateral load;Relative density
- Baek, S.H., Kim, J.Y., Lee, S.H., and Chung, C.K. (2014), "Effect of Relative Density of p-y Backbone Curves for Cyclic Lateral Load on Pile Foundations in Sandy Soil", Proceeding of 33rd OMAE conference, San Francisco, Vol.3, pp.1-6.
- Barton, Y.O. (1979), "Lateral Loading of Model Piles in the Centrifuge", M.Phil. Thesis, University of Cambridge.
- Barton, Y.O. (1982), "Laterally Loaded Model Piles in Sand: Centrifuge Tests and Finite Element Analyses", Ph.D. Thesis, University of Cambridge.
- Broms, B.B. (1964), "Lateral Resistnace of Piles in Cohesive Soils", J. of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Division, ASCE, Vol. 90, No.2, pp.27-64
- Davidson, H.L., Cass, P.G., Khilji, K.H., and McQuade, P.V. (1982), Laterally loaded drilled pier research, Report EL-2197, EPRI, 324p.
- Fleming, W.G., Weltman, A.J., Randolph, M.F., and Elson, W.K. (1992), Piling Engineering, 2nd ed., John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York.
- Hoadley, P.J., Barton, Y.O., and Parry, R.H.G. (1981), "Cyclic Lateral Load on Model Pile in a Centrifuge", 10th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Stockholm, pp.621-625.
- Iai, S. (1989), "Similitude for Shaking Table Tests on Soil-structure-fluid Model in 1g Gravitational Field", Soil and Foundations, Vol.29, No.1, pp.105-118.
- LeBlanc, C., Houlsby, G.T., and Byrne, B.W. (2010), "Response of Stiff Piles in Sand to Long-term Cyclic Lateral Loading", Geotechnique, Vol.60, No.2, pp.79-90. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.7.00196
- Long, J. and Vanneste, G. (1994), "Effect of Cyclic Lateral Loads on Piles in Sand", J. of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Division, ASCE, Vol.120, No.1, pp.225-244.
- Meyerhof, G.G., Mathur, S.K., and Valsangkar, A.J. (1981), "Lateral Resistance and Deflection of Rigid Wall and Piles in Layered Soils", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.18, pp.159-170. https://doi.org/10.1139/t81-021
- Nicolai and Ibsen (2014), "Small-scale Testing of Cyclic Laterally Loaded Monopiles in Dense Saturated Sand", J. of Ocean and Wind Energy, Vol.1, No.4, pp.240-245.
- Nunez, I.L. (1988), "Driving and Tension Loading of Piles in Sand on a Centrifuge", Proceeding International Conference Centrifuge 88, Paris, Corte, J.K. (ed.), Balkema, Rotterdam, pp.353-362.
- Paik, K.H. (2010), "Lateral behavior of Driven Piles Subjected to Cyclic Lateral Loads in Sand", J. of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.26, No.12, pp.41-50 (in Korean).
- Paik, K.H., Kim, Y.J., and Lee, S.Y. (2011), "Effects of Loading Method on the behavior of Laterally Cyclic Loaded Piles in Sand", J. of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.27, No.3, pp.63-73 (in Korean).
- Parry, R.H.G. and Sanglamer, A. (1977), Laterally load tests on single model piles with radiographic observations, Cambridge University Interim Report, CUED.C, Soils TR 36.
- Poulos, H.G. and Davis, E.H. (1980), Piling foundation analysis and design, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York.
- Rao, S.N., Ramakrishna, V.G.S.T., and Rao, M.B. (1998), "Influence of Rigidity on Laterally Loaded Pile Groups in Marine Clay", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 124, No.6, pp.542-549. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(1998)124:6(542)
- Zhang, L., Silva, F., and Grismala, R. (2005), "Ultimate Lateral Resistance to Pile in Cohesionless Soils", J. of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol.131, No.1, pp.78-83. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2005)131:1(78)
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술진흥원