- Volume 15 Issue 2
Relationship between the Applied Torque and CCT to obtain the Same Corrosion Resistance for the Plate and Cylindrical Shape Stainless Steels
DOI QR Code
Chang, Hyun Young;Kim, Ki Tae;Kim, Nam In;Kim, Young Sik
- 투고 : 2016.01.26
- 심사 : 2016.04.08
- 발행 : 2016.04.30
Many industries need the universal standard or technique to obtain the identical CCT regardless of specimen geometries. This study aimed to determine an appropriate applied torque to the cylindrical specimen defining the apparatus and the procedure to measure the temperature of initiating crevice corrosion in tubular shape products such as pipes, tubes and round rods etc; the test method also proved applicable to the plate type specimen. A series of experiments for CCT measurements with the plate type and cylindrical stainless steel specimens of various diameters with different microstructures (austenitic and duplex) and PRENs were conducted to determine the relationship among geometries on CCT. Thus, the apparatus that could measure the CCT of stainless steels with both plate and cylindrical geometries was newly designed. The use of the apparatus facilitated the same CCT value for both geometries only if the specimens were made of the same alloy. The applied torque can be calculated for various diameters of the cylindrical specimens using the following relation; Applied torque,
stainless steel;crevice corrosion temperature (CCT);pitting resistance equivalent number (PREN);applied torque;plate;cylindrical shape
- ASTM G 48, Standard Test Methods for Pitting and Crevice Corrosion Resistance of Stainless Steels and Related Alloy by Use of Ferric Chloride Solution (2015).
- ASTM G 46, Standard Guide for Examination and Evaluation of Pitting Corrosion (2013).
- ASTM F 746, Standard Test Method for Pitting or Crevice Corrosion of Metallic Surgical Implant Materials (2014).
- ASTM G 78, Standard Guide for Crevice Corrosion Testing of Iron-Base and Nickel-Base Stainless Alloys in Seawater and Other Chloride-Containing Aqueous Environments (2015).
- ASTM G 150, Standard Test Method for Electrochemical Critical Pitting Temperature Testing of Stainless Steels (2013).
- KS D0219, Method of ferric chloride Test for Stainless Steels (2015).
- KS D0269, Potentiostatic Polarization Test Method for Determination of Critical Pitting Temperature for Stainless Steels (2015).
- KS D0278, Standard Test Methods for Pitting and Crevice Corrosion Resistance of Stainless Steels and Related Alloys by Use of Ferric Chloride Solution (2015).
- KS D0289, Test Method for Determination of Resistance to Pitting and Crevice Corrosion of Metallic Materials for Surgical Implants (2014).
- KS D0297, Test Method for Determination of Pitting Corrosion Resistance for Seal Weldment between tube and tube sheet (2014).
- ISO FDIS 18070, Corrosion of Metals and Alloys - Crevice Corrosion Formers with Disc Springs for Flat Specimens or Tubes of Stainless Steels in Corrosive Solutions (2015).
- ISO FDIS 18089, Corrosion of Metals and Alloys - Determination of the Critical Crevice Temperature (CCT) for Stainless steels under Potentiostatic Control (2015).
- R. Boyer, G. Welsch, and E. W. Collings, ed., Materials Properties Handbook: Titanium Alloys, p. 167, ASM International, Materials Park, OH, USA (1994).
- ASTM D 3294-15, Standard Specification for Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) Resin Molded Sheet and Molded Basic Shapes (2015).
- ISO 4017, Hexagon Head Screws - Product grades A and B (2014).
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Andong National University