- Volume 21 Issue 4
This study had a purpose to find the correlation between academic achievement and entrance examination score using FCA and framing a concept of university academic achievement and entrance examination score and then, building concept lattice. The subject for this analysis was admission materials of freshmen in computer engineering department at A university located in Chungcheong area in 2010. Also 56 students in total were subjects for the score analysis of their first semester from 2010 to 2014. The major findings of this study were as follows. We organized and extracted many-valued context, concept lattice, associated rules using FCA. And we analyzed the correlation between University academic achievement and entrance examination score using FCA. The conclusions were as follows. We could get meaningful analyzed results using FCA. University academic achievement had lower relativeness with entrance examination score and female students had higher university academic achievement than male students. The improvement points are summarized below. It is necessary to improve the ratio and application method of the university admission factors and to increase the regular admission for a university. And programs for completing College-preparatory programming for male students in low university academic achievement are necessary.
Formal Concept Analysis;entrance examination score;University academic achievement
- D.H. Cho, and K.S. Kim, "Analysis of University Academic Achievement of Specialized High School by Category," Korean Technology Education Association, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 170-188, 2015.
- J.S. Cho, "The influence analysis of admission variables on academic achievements," Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, Vol. 21, pp. 729-736, 2010.
- S.H. Kim, and A.N. Kim, "An analysis on college students' academic achievements by the type of high school they graduated: Focusing on the impact of special purpose high schools," The Korean Society of the Study of Sociology of Education, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 47-61, 2009.
- J.M. Woo, and D.W. Jung, "Student Academic Achievement, GPA, Admissions Officer System, High School Academic Records, National Scholastic Aptitude Test," Admission Studies, Vol. 1, pp. 153-179, 2012.
- J.H. Kim, and D.W. Jeong, "An Analysis of Explanatory Power of High School Records and Scholastic Aptitude Test on Leading Indicators of College Success," The Journal of Educational Administration , Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 585-609, 2007.
- H.C. Kim, "Comparison of the effects between motivation and selection criteria scores for admission on the college students' academic achievement," Korean Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 343-348, 2004.
- B. Ganter, R. Wille, "Formal Concept Analysis: Mathematical Foundations," 1st edn. Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., Secaucus, 1999.
- M. Bain, "Inductive construction of ontologies from formal concept analysis," In AI 2003: Advances in Artifical Intelligence, pp.88-99, 2003.
- P. Cimiano et al., "Conceptual knowledge processing with formal concept analysis and ontologies," Inconcept Lattices, pp.189-207, 2004.
- J. A. Davis, "Elementary survey analysis. Englewood," J: Prentice-Hall, 1971.
- S.H. Hwang, and E.H. Kim, "A FCA-based Classification Approach for Analysis of Interval Data," Korea Society of Coumputer Information, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 19-30, 2012.
- D.H. Cho, and K.S. Kim, "A Comparative Analysis of University Academic Achievements on the Graduates from Specialized Vocational High School and those from General High School selected by the University Admissions Officer System," Korean Institute of Industrial Education, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 47-65, 2014.