- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Psychotherapy Supervisor's Education and Training Components
상담 수퍼바이저 교육과 훈련 요소 연구 : 수퍼바이저 발달 요인과 수퍼바이저 역량 요인 중심으로
- Received : 2016.02.15
- Accepted : 2016.03.31
- Published : 2016.04.28
Psychotherapy supervision has long been regarded as a crucial component of psychotherapy education. Supervisory role is very important in supervision outcomes but the absence of and need for supervisor's education and training have continued to be emphasized. Supervisor's education and training can be used to better prepare and strengthen new professionals who serve in the supervisory role. This study reviewed on the literatures of supervisor's education and training, psychotherapy supervisor's development, and core competencies in supervision. As a result of this study, it introduced what supervisor should be trained. There were supervisor identity, ability to build supervisory relationship/alliance, ability to provide effective and summative feedback, knowledge of professional supervision and value of commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth. Also consensus has converged on the superordinate value of now crucial components in educating and training supervisors: didactic instruction and experiential practice. In conclusion, I discussed what should be considered in Korean supervisor's education and training and future research directions.
Supervisor's Education and Training;Supervisor's Development;Core Competencies
- J. M. Bernard and R. K. Goodyear, Fundamentals of clinical supervision(5th ed.), Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill, 2014.
- B. E. Wampold and E. L. Holloway, Methodology, design, and evaluation in psychotherapy supervision research. In C. E., 1997.
- J. M. Bernard, "Approved clinical supervisor: a new NBCC credential," Counseling Today, Vol. 41, No. 1, p.19, 1998.
- M. J. Lambert and B. M. Ogles, The effectiveness of psychotherapy supervision, Handbook of psychotherapy supervision, pp. 421-446, 1997.
- C. E. Jr. Watkins, "Development of the Psychotherapy supervisor," Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 553-560, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-3126.96.36.1993
- 소수연, 수퍼바이저의 효과적인 수퍼비전 요소탐색과 수퍼비전 수행 척도 개발에 관한 연구, 가톨릭대학교, 박사학위논문, 2012.
- 손진희, "수퍼바이저 행동 분석을 통한 효과적인 수퍼비전 요소 연구," 상담학연구, 제5권, 제2호, pp. 243-261, 2004.
- 손은정, "수퍼비전에 대한 질적 연구의 동향과 과제," 한국놀이치료학회지, 제13권 제3호, pp. 1-21, 2010.
- 이홍숙, 최한나, "수퍼바이저의 수퍼비전 경력수준에 따른 수퍼비전 수행과 성과의 차이," 상담학연구, 제14권, 제3호, pp. 1679-1698, 2013.
- 지승희, 주영아, 김영혜, "수퍼비전 경험과 되고 싶은 수퍼바이저 상에 관한 탐색적 연구," 상담학연구, 제15권, 제5호, pp. 1671-1693, 2014.
- K. Bang and J. Park, "Korean Supervisors' experiences in clinical supervision," The Counseling Psychologist, Vol. 37, No. 8, pp. 1042-1075, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000009339341
- P. Rodenhauser, "Toward a multidimensional model for psychotherapy supervision based on developmental stage," J. of Psychotherapy Practice and Research, Vol. 3, pp. 1-15, 1994.
- C. E. Jr. Watkins, "Development of the Psychotherapy Supervisor: Review of and Reflections on 30 Years of Theory and Research," American J. of Psychotherapy, Vol. 66, No. 1, pp. 45-83, 2012a. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.psychotherapy.2012.66.1.45
- C. E. Jr. Watkins, "Educating Psychotherapy Supervisors," American J. Of Psychotherapy, Vol. 66, No. 3, pp. 279-307, 2012b. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.psychotherapy.2012.66.3.279
- H. A. Dye and L. D. Borders, "Counseling supervisors: Standards for preparation and practice," J. of Counseling & Development, Vol. 69, No. 1, pp. 27-29, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.1990.tb01449.x
- C. E. Jr. Watkins, "The ineffective psychotherapy supervisor: Some reflections about bad behaviors, poor process, and offensive outcomes," The Clinical Supervisor, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 163-180, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1300/J001v16n01_09
- C. A. Falender and E. P. Shafranske, Getting the most out of clinical training and supervision: A guide for practicum students and interns, Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2012.
- R. C. Lyon, A. Heppler, L. Leavitt, and L. Fisher, "Supervisory training experiences and overall supervisory development in predoctoral interns," The Clinical Supervisor, Vol. 27, pp. 268-284, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/07325220802490877
- S. M. Whitman, M. B. Ryan, and D. F. Rubenstein, "Psychotherapy supervisor training," Academic Psychiatry, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 156-161, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ap.25.3.156
- 최해림, "상담자 교육과 수퍼비전의 현재," 한양대학교 학생생활연구소 대학생활연구, 제17권, 제1호, pp. 1-18, 1999.
- 방기연, 상담 수퍼비전의 이론과 실제, 서울: 양서원, 2011.
- 소수연, 장성숙, "효과적인 수퍼비전 요소에 관한 수퍼바이저의 지각 연구," 상담학연구, 제12권, 제3호, pp. 1051-1067, 2011.
- 오효정, 최한나, "초보 수퍼바이저가 겪는 어려움과 대처방법," 상담학연구, 제16권, 제5호, pp. 75-94, 2015.
- D. L. Milne, A. I. Sheikh, S. Pattison, and A. W. Wilkinson, "Evidence-based training for clinical supervisors: A systematic review of 11 Controlled Studies," The Clinical Supervisor, Vol. 30, pp. 53-71, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/07325223.2011.564955
- S. H. Spence, J. Wilson, D. Kavanagh, J. Strong, and L. Worrall, "Clinical supervision in four mental health professions: A review of the evidence," Behaviour Change, Vol. 18, pp. 135-155, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1375/bech.18.3.135
- D. L. Milne and I. A. James, "The observed impact of training on competence in clinical supervision," British J. of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 41, pp. 55-72, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1348/014466502163796
- A. Alonso, "A Developmental Theory of Psychodynamic Supervision," The Clinical Supervisor, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 23-36, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1300/J001v01n03_04
- A. K. Hess, "Growth in Supervision: Stages of Supervisee and Supervisor Development," The Clinical Supervisor, Vol. 4, pp. 51-67, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1300/J001v04n01_04
- C. D. Stoltenberg, U. Delworth, and B. McNeill, IDM supervision: An Integrated Developmental Model for supervising counselors and therapists, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1998.
- C. E. Jr. Watkins, "Researching Psychotherapy Supervisor Development: Four Key Considerations," The Clinical Supervisor, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 111-118, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1300/J001v13n02_08
- L. D. Borders, Principles of best practice for clinical supervision training programs. In J. R. Culbreth & L. L. Brown (Eds.), State of the art in clinical supervision, pp. 127-150, New York: Routledge, 2010.
- C. E. Jr. Watkins, "Development of the Psychotherapy supervisor: Concepts, assumptions, and hypotheses of the supervisor complexity model," American Journal of Psychotherapy, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 58-74, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.psychotherapy.19188.8.131.52
- R. A. Hogan, "Issues and approaches in supervision," Psychotherapy: Theory, research and practice, Vol. 1, pp. 139-141, 1964. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0088589
- C. D. Stoltenberg, "Approaching Supervision from a Developmental Perspective: The Counselor Complexity Model," J. of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 28, pp. 59-65, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.206
- C. A. Falender and E. P. Shafranske, Clinical supervision: A competency-based approach, Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2004.
- Psychology Board of Australia, Exposure draft: Guideline for supervisors and supervisor training providers, 2011.
- E. I. Worthington and H. J. Roehlke, "Effective supervision and perceived by beginning counselor in training," J. of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 26, pp. 64-73, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.11
- M. O'L. Wiley, Developmental counseling supervision; Person-environment congruency, satisfaction, and learning, Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Washington, DC. 1982.
- D. T. Stevens, R. K. Goodyear, and P. Robertson, "Supervisor development: An exploratory study in changes in stance and emphasis," The Clinical Supervisor, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 73-88, 1997.
- C. E. Jr. Watkins, L. J. Schneider, J. Haynes, and R. Nieberding, "Measuring Psychotherapy Supervisor Development: An Initial Effort at Scale Development and Validation," The Clinical Supervisor, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 77-90, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1300/J001v13n01_06
- J. C. Bencivenne, An investigation of professional supervisor and supervisee development, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seton Hall University, New Jersey, 1999.
- N. J. Pelling, "The relationship of supervisory experience, counseling experience and training in supervision to supervisory development," International J. for the Advancement of Counselling, Vol. 30, pp. 235-248, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10447-008-9060-2
- N. W. Vidlak, Identifying important factors in supervisor development: An examination of supervisor experience, training, and attributes, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 2002.
- Canadian Psychological Association, Accreditation standards and procedures for doctoral programmes and internships in professional psychology, Ottawa, ON: Canadian Psychological Association, 2002.
- I. W. Hoffman, "The training of psychotherapy supervisors: A barren scape," Psychotherapy in Private Practice, Vol. 13, pp. 23-42, 1994.
- E. L. Jr. Worthington, "Changes in supervision as counselors and supervisors gain experience: A review", Training and Education in Professional Psychology, Vol. S20, pp. 133-160, 2006.
- U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, Defining and assessing learning: Exploring competency-based initiatives, Washington, DC: Author, 2002.
- C. E. Jr. Watkins, "On psychoanalytic supervisor competencies, the persistent paradox without parallel in psychoanalytic education, and dreaming of an evidence-based psychoanalytic supervision," Psychoanalytic Review, Vol. 100, No. 4, pp. 609-646, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1521/prev.2013.100.4.609
- J. Hunsley and K. K. Barker, "Training for competency in Professional psychology: A Canadian perspective," Australian Psychologist, Vol. 46, pp. 142-145, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-9544.2011.00027.x
- J. Gosselin, K. K. Baker, C. S. Kogan, M. Pomerleau, and M. P.d' Ioro, "Setting the stage for an evidence-based model of psychotherapy supervisor development in clinical psychology," Canadian Psychology, pp. 1-15, 2015.
- C. A. Rapisarda, K. J. Desmond, and J. R. Nelson, "Student reflections on the journey to being a supervisor," The Clinical Supervisor, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 109-123, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/07325223.2011.564958
- 소수연, 장성숙, "숙련된 수퍼바이저의 수퍼비전 수행에 관한 질적 연구," 상담 및 심리치료, 제26권, 제2호, pp. 193-222, 2014.
- R. K. Russell and T. Petrie, "Issues in training effective supervisors," Applied and Preventive Psychology, Vol. 3, pp. 27-42, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0962-1849(05)80106-4
- D. L. Milne, "Can we enhance the training of clinical supervisors? A national pilot study of an evidence-based approach," British J. of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 17, pp. 321-328, 2010.
- H. Riess and J. B. Herman, "Teaching the teachers: A model course for psychodynamic psychotherapy supervisors," Academic Psychiatry, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 259-264, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ap.32.3.259
- L. D. Borders, J. M. Bernard, H. A. Dye, M. L. Fong, P. Henderson, and D. W. Nance, "Curriculum guide for training counseling supervisors: Rationale, development, and implementation," Counselor Education and Supervision, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 58-80, 1991.
- C. Loganbill and E. Hardy, "Developing training programs for clinical supervisors," The Clinical Supervisor, Vol. 1, pp. 15-21, 1983.
- C. F. Newman, "Training cognitive behavioral therapy supervisors: Didactics, simulated practice, and meta-supervision," J. of Cognitive Psychotherapy, Vol. 27, pp. 5-18, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1891/0889-8318.104.22.168
- S. B. Baker, H. A. Exum, and R. E. Tyler, "The developmental process of clinical supervisors in training: An investigation of the supervisor complexity model," Counselor Education and Supervision, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 15-30, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6978.2002.tb01300.x
- J. Majcher and J. C. Daniluk, "The process of becoming a supervisor for students in a doctoral supervision training course," Training and Education in Professional Psychology, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 63-71, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0014470
- M. McMahon and R. Simons, "Supervision training for professional counselors: An exploratory study," Counselor Education and Supervision, Vol. 43, pp. 301-309, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6978.2004.tb01854.x
- S. D. Peace and N. A. Sprinthall, "Training school counselors to supervise beginning counselors: Theory, research, and practice," Professional School Counseling, Vol. 22, pp. 68-74, 1998.
- K. W. Nelson, M. Oliver, and F. Capps, "Becoming a supervisor: Doctoral student perceptions of the training experience," Counselor Education and Supervision, Vol. 46, No. 1, p.17, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6978.2006.tb00009.x
- American Psychological Association (APA), Assessment of competency benchmarks work group: A developmental model for defining and measuring competence in professional psychology, Washington, DC: Author, 2007.
- D. L. Milne, J. Scaife, and T. Cliffe, "How should we train effective supervisors? A British consensus on facilitating experiential learning," In Clinical Psychology Forum, Vol. 203, pp. 7-12, 2009.
- 전정운, 한재희, "초심 수퍼바이저의 전문성 발달과정 연구," 상담학연구, 제13권, 제6호, pp. 2607-2624, 2012.
- C. A. Falender and E. P. Shafranske, "Psychotherapy-based supervision models in an emerging competency-based era: A commentary," Psychotherapy, Vol. 47, pp. 45-50, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018873