- Volume 20 Issue 4
Active driving safety systems for vehicle, such as the front collision avoidance, lane departure warning, and lane change assistance, have been popular to be adopted to the compact car. For improving performance and competitive cost, FMCW radar has been researched to adopt a phased array or a multi-beam antenna, and to integrate the front and the side radar. In this paper we propose several efficient methods to implement the signal processing module of FMCW radar system using low cost DSP. The pulse width modulation (PWM) based analog conversion, the approximation of time-eating functions, and the adoption of vector-based computation, etc, are proposed and implemented. The implemented signal processing board shows the real-time performance of 1.4ms pulse repetition interval (PRI) with 1024pt-FFT. In real road we verify the radar performance under real-time constraints of 10Hz update time.
FMCW radar;Active safety system;Low cost DSP;PWM filter
- M. Skolnik, Introduction To Radar Systems, 3rd ed., New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2001.
- Rohling, H. "Some radar topics: waveform design, range CFAR and target recognition," in Advances in Sensing with Security Applications, Netherlands, Springer, ch. 13, pp. 293-322, 2006.
- S. Jeong, H. Yu, J. Lee, J Oh, and K. Lee, "A multi-beam and multi-range radar with FMCW and digital beam forming for automotive applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, pp. 285-299, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER11110805
- M. Schoor and B. Yang, "High-resolution angle estimation for an automotive FMCW radar sensor," in Proceeding of International Radar Symposium (IRS), Cologne, Germany, pp. 1-5, Sept. 2007.
- M. Schneider, "Automotive radar-status and trends," in Proceeding of German Microwave Conference (GeMiC 2005), Ulm, Germany, pp. 144-147, Apr. 2005.
- A. Ossowska, Highly Resolved Synthetic Aperture Radar with Beam Steering, Germany, Ulm, KIT Scientific Publishing, ch. 2, pp. 11-39, 2014.
- Texas Instruments Inc. (2011, October). Reference Guide: TMS320x2833x, 2823x High Resolution Pulse Width Modulator (HRPWM) [Internet]. Available: http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/sprug02b/sprug02b.pdf
- A. Kay and A. Wu, Microcontroller PWM to 12bit analog out, Texas Instruments Inc., Dalas, TX, July 2013. Available: http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/tidu027/tidu027.pdf
- R. G. Lyons, Understanding Digital Signal Processing, 3rd ed., NJ: Prentice Hall, ch. 13, pp. 671-846, 2011.
Supported by : Kumoh National Institute of Technology