- Volume 20 Issue 4
Flipped learning is a pedagogic model in which the typical lecture and homework elements of a course are reversed. Short video lectures or e-learning contents or other learning materials are viewed by students at home before the in-class session, while students are mainly carried out diverse active learning activities such as the discussions, exercises, team projects and so on in class time. Recently flipped learning has been emerging as an effective teaching-learning method that can train the 21st century talents who can create creative values based on fusion competencies. Based on the experience in applying the flipped learning to the database class that is an elective course of the school of computer engineering through three semesters, this paper proposes a flipped learning model consists of 7 steps in detail. Also, this paper analyzes the effects and weak points of the flipped learning and proposes several things for the successful flipped learning application.
Flipped Learning;Database Course;Prior Learning;In-class Team Activity
- Warter-Perez Nancy, Jianyu Dong, "Flipping the classroom: How to embed inquiry and design projects into a digital engineering lecture." in Proceedings of the 2012 ASEE PSW Section Conference, [Internet]. Available: http://aseepsw2012.calpoly.edu/site_media/uploads/proceedings/papers/10B_35_ASEE_PSW_2012_Warter-Perez.pdf, 2012.
- Institute for Teaching & Learning Innovation, About flipped classroom, [Internet]. Available: http://www.uq.edu.au/teach/flipped-classroom/how-to-start.html#staff-support.
- Lori Ogden, Laura J. Pyzdrowski, Neal Shambaugh, "A Teaching Model for the college Algebra Flipped Classroom, Promoting Active Learning through the Flipped Classroom Model," IGI Global, pp. 47-70, Sep. 2013.
- Jeong-bin Choi, Eun-Gyung Kim, "Developing a Teaching-Learning Model for Flipped Learning for Institutes of Technology and a Case of Operation of a Subject," Journal of Engineering Education, vol. 18, no. 2, Mar. 2015.
- Edudemic, The Theacher's Guide To Flipped Classrooms, [Internet]. Available: http://www.edudemic.com/guides/flipped-classrooms-guide/
- Jeong Ah Kim, Hae Ha Heo, Hee Hyun Lee, "Flipped learning model for Management Class," Advanced Science and Technology Letters, vol.71, pp. 59-62, Mar. 2014.
- Educause, 7 Things you should know about flipped classrooms, [Internet]. Available: https://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7081.pdf, Feb. 2012.
- So-Hyun Lee, "Teaching of Korean Grammar using Flipped Learning-Focus on the Korean grammar class as a liberal arts subject," The Language and Culture, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 221-262, Oct. 2015.
- Yong-Suk Kim, "The effect of the flipped class on the affective experience, learning achievement, and class satisfaction of college English language learners," Journal of Foreign Languages Education, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 227-254, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.15334/FLE.2015.22.1.227