- Volume 29 Issue 3
Urban-to-rural migration for farming has recently emerged as a new way to vitalize rural economies in a fast-aging rural Korea. In this paper, we analyze the 2013 data of returning farmers with statistical network methods. We identify urban to rural migration hubs with centrality measures and find migration trends based on regional clusters with similar features via statistical network models. We also fit a latent distance model to investigate the role of distance in migration.
migration;centrality;HITS algorithm;stochastic block model;latent distance model
- Chae, S, H. (2013). Analysis of the current status and success factors for returning farmers with the case study of the migration status for returning farmers program graduates, In Proceedings of the Korean Society for Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development 2013 Meeting, 43-60.
- Daudin, J. J., Picard, F., and Robin, S. (2008). A mixture model for random graphs, Statistics and Computing, 18, 173-183. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11222-007-9046-7
- Davis, K. F., D'Odorico, P., Laio, F., and Ridolfi, L. (2013). Global spatio-temporal patterns in human migration: a complex network perspective, PLoS One, 8.
- Handcock M. S., Raftery, A. E., and Tantrum, J. M. (2007). Model based clustering for social networks, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A, 170, 301-354. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-985X.2007.00471.x
- Jung, J. H., Roh, J.-S., and Jang, W. (2016). Prediction of rural return migration and analysis of sustainability for returning farmers using big data, Research Service Report of Rural Development Administration.
- Jung, J. H., Roh, J-S., Jang, W., Kim, S. B., Yoon, K. Y., and Kim, J. (2014). Regional analysis of the migration patterns of returning farmers, Journal of the Korean Society of Rural Planning, 20, 221-232. https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2014.20.4.221
- Kang, D-K. (2006). Adoption process with return types of return farmers, Journal of Korean Agricultural Education, 38, 23-53.
- Kim, J. S. (2010). Challenges of sustainable rural development policy with focus on employment and living environment, Paper presented at the 2014 summer meeting of the Korean Regional Development Association.
- Kim, J. S. (2014). Social Innovation for rural issues, Science and Technology Policy, 24, 24-36.
- Kleinberg, J. M. (1999). Authoritative sources in a hyperlinked environment, Journal of the ACM, 46, 604-632. https://doi.org/10.1145/324133.324140
- Krivitsky, P. N. and Handcock, M. S. (2008). Fitting latent cluster models for networks with latentnet, Journal of Statistical Software, 24.
- Krivitsky, P. N., Handcock, M. S., Raftery, A. E., and Hoff, P. D. (2009). Representing degree distributions, clustering, and homophily in social networks with latent cluster random effects models, Social Networks, 31, 204-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socnet.2009.04.001
- Latouche, P., Birmele, E., and Ambroise, C. (2012). Variational Bayesian inference and complexity control for stochastic block models, Statistical Modelling, 12, 93-115. https://doi.org/10.1177/1471082X1001200105
- Park, M-H., Lim, J-E., Seo, H-S., and Hwang, J-H. (2014). A study on city people's returning strategy for economic vitalization of region, Korea Journal of Agricultural Management and Policy, 41, 795-820.
- Roh, J-S., Jung, J. H., and Jeon, J. Y. (2013). Returning farmers and the aging of farm households: prospects of changes in rural population by their influx, Journal of the Korean Society of Rural Planning, 19, 203-212. https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2013.19.4.203
- Shortreed, S. and Handcock, M. S. (2006). Positional estimation within the latent space model for networks, Methodology, 2, 24-33. https://doi.org/10.1027/1614-2241.2.1.24
- Snijders, T. A. (2011). Statistical models for social networks, Annual Review of Sociology, 37, 131-153. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.soc.012809.102709
- Statistics Korea (2014). Year 2013 returning farmers and rural migration, Press Release, Retrieved from http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/7/11/index.board
Supported by : Rural Development Administration, National Research Foundation (NRF) of Korea