- Volume 42 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Culturable Bacteria in the Atmospheric Environment in Incheon, Korea
인천지역 대기 환경 중 배양성 세균의 특성
- Received : 2016.02.05
- Accepted : 2016.04.04
- Published : 2016.04.29
Objectives: This study aims to provide basic data regarding the bacterial total plate count in the atmospheric environment for related studies. Methods: Total plate count and the identification of culturable bacteria in the atmospheric environment in Incheon took place in 2015 using periodic survey. Correlationship analysis was performed between the number of culturable bacteria and environmental elements. In addition, an estimation of novel bacterial species was undertaken using the similarities and phylogenetic tree based on the 16S rRNA gene. Results: The total plate count of culturable bacteria was on average
Atmospheric environment;Total plate counts
- Perrino C, Marcovecchio F. A new method for assessing the contribution of primary biological atmospheric particles to the mass concentration of the atmospheric aerosol. Environment International. 2016; 87(1); 108-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2015.11.015
- Xu Z, Shen F, Chen Q, Tan M, Yao M. Bioaerosol science, technology, and engineering: past, present, and future. Aerospace Science and Technology. 2011; 45(11); 1337-1349. https://doi.org/10.1080/02786826.2011.593591
- Zhen H, Han T, Fennell DE, Mainelis G. Release of free DNA by membrane-impaired bacterial aerosols due to aerosolization and air sampling. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2013; 79(24); 7780-7789. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.02859-13
- Wang CH, Chen BT, Han BC, Liu AC, Hung PC, Chen CY, et al. Field evaluation of personal sampling methods for multiple bioaerosols. PLoS One. 2015; 23(10); Article 3.
- Park JW, Park CW, Lee SH, Hwang J. Fast monitoring of indoor bioaerosol concentrations with ATP bioluminescence assay using an electrostatic rodtype sampler. PLoS One. 2015; 7(10); Article 5.
- Choi J, Kang M, Jung JH. Integrated micro-optofluidic platform for real-time detection of airborne microorganisms. Scientific Reports. 2015; 2(5); 15983.
- Seifried JS, Wichels A, Gerdts G. Spatial distribution of marine airborne bacterial communities. Microbiologyopen. 2015; 4(3); 475-490. https://doi.org/10.1002/mbo3.253
- Bioaerosols from composting facilities - a review.
- Pearson C, Littlewood E, Douglas P, Robertson S, Gant TW, Hansell AL. Exposures and health outcomes in relation to bioaerosol emissions from composting facilities: a systematic review of occupational and community studies. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part B. 2015; 18(1); 43-69. https://doi.org/10.1080/10937404.2015.1009961
- Oppliger A. Advancing the science of bioaerosol exposure assessment. Annals of Occupational Hygiene. 2014; 25(6); 661-663.
- Yamaguchi N, Park J, Kodama M, Ichijo T, Baba T, Nasu M. Changes in the airborne bacterial community in outdoor environments following Asian dust events. Microbes and Environments. 2014; 29(1); 82-88. https://doi.org/10.1264/jsme2.ME13080
- Lee S, Chung HM, Park SJ, Choe B, Kim JH, Lee BR, et al. Identification and phylogenetic analysis of culturable bacteria in the bioareosol from several environments. Microbiology and Biotechnology Letters. 2015; 43(2); 142-149. https://doi.org/10.4014/mbl.1503.03008
- Rea LM, Parker RA. Designing & conducting survey research a comprehensive guide, 3rd ed. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass; 2005.
- Lee SW. Identification and characterization of Methylobacterium dankookense sp. nov. isolated from drinking water. [dissertation]. [Cheonan]: Dankook university; 2010.
- Lee SW, Oh HW, Lee KH, Ahn TY. Methylobacterium dankookense sp. nov. isolated from drinking water. Journal of Microbiology. 2009; 47(6): 716-720. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-009-0126-6
- Kim OS, Cho YJ, Lee K, Yoon SH, Kim M, Na H, et al. Introducing EzTaxon: a prokaryotic 16S rRNA Gene sequence database with phylotypes that represent uncultured species. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 2012; 62(3): 716-721. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.038075-0
- Hall TA. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symposium Series. 1999; 41(1): 95-98.
- Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Molecular Biology and Evolution. 2011; 28(10): 2731-2739. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msr121
- Tsai FC, Macher JM. Concentrations of airborne culturable bacteria in 100 large US office buildings from the BASE study. Indoor Air. 2005; 15(9): 71-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0668.2005.00346.x
- List of prokaryotic names with standing in nomenclature. Available: http://www.bacterio.net/arthrobacter.html [accessed 18 January 2016].
- Camargo FAO, Bento FM, Okeke BC, Frankenberger WT. Hexavalent chromium reduction by an actinomycete, Arthrobacter crystallopoietes ES 32. Biological Trace Element Research. 2003; 97(2): 183-194.
- Westerberg K, Elvang AM, Stackebrandt E, Jansson JK. Arthrobacter chlorophenolicus sp. nov., a new species capable of degrading high concentrations of 4-chlorophenol. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 2000; 50(6): 2083-2092. https://doi.org/10.1099/00207713-50-6-2083
- O'Loughlin EJ, Traina SJ. Biodegradation of 2-methyl, 2-ethyl, and 2-hydroxypyridine by an Arthrobacter sp. isolated from subsurface sediment. Biodegradation. 1999; 10(2): 93-104. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008309026751
- Li Y, Kawamura Y, Fujiwara N, Naka T, Liu H, Huang X, et al. Rothia aeria sp. nov., Rhodococcus baikonurensis sp. nov. and Arthrobacter russicus sp. nov., isolated from air in the Russian space laboratory Mir. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 2004; 54(3): 827-835. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.02828-0
- List of prokaryotic names with standing in nomenclature. Available: http://www.bacterio.net/kocuriakocuria.html [accessed 18 January 2016].
- Zhou G, Luo X, Tang Y, Zhang L, Yang Q, Qiu Y, et al. Kocuria flava sp. nov. and Kocuria turfanensis sp. nov., airborne actinobacteria isolated from Xinjiang, China. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 2008; 58(6): 1304-1307. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.65323-0
- List of prokaryotic names with standing in nomenclature. Available: http://www.bacterio.net/bacillus.html [accessed 18 January 2016].
- List of prokaryotic names with standing in nomenclature. Available: http://www.bacterio.net/flavobacterium.html [accessed 18 January 2016].
- Lee S, Weon HY, Han K, Ahn TY. Flavobacterium dankookense sp. nov., isolated from a freshwater reservoir, and emended descriptions of Flavobacterium cheonanense, F. chungnamense, F. koreense and F. aquatile. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 2012; 62(10): 2378-2382. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.032698-0
Supported by : National Institute of Environmental Research