- Volume 49 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reactivated Timings of Yangsan Fault in the Sangcheon-ri Area, Korea
상천리 일대 양산단층의 재활동 연대
Song, Yungoo;Park, Changyun;Sim, Ho;Choi, Woohyun;Son, Moon;Khulganakhuu, Chuluunbaatar
- Received : 2016.04.12
- Accepted : 2016.04.27
- Published : 2016.04.28
Here we firstly present that a timing of reactivated event of Yangsan fault, the major fault in the southeastern Korean Peninsula, by using combined approaches of the optimized illite-polytype quantification, the K-Ar age-dating, and the recently developed illite-age-analysis (IAA) approach for the fault clays from Sangcheon-ri area of Yangsan main fault line. Two chronological record of brittle fault-activation event at about 41.5~43.5 and 50.7 Ma were determined from 3 fault gouges suggesting a crucial reactivation time-scheme. Furthermore, the regional processes that drive tectonics to form and reactivate the Yangsan fault may be explained from the chronological analysis for additional sites along the Yangsan fault.
Yangsan fault;Fault reactivation age;Illite-age-analysis(IAA);K-Ar age-dating;Fault clay
- Alt, J.C. and Jiang, W.-T. (1991) Hydrothermally precipitated mixed-layer illite-smectite in recent massive sulfide deposits from the sea floor. Geology, v.19, p.570-573. https://doi.org/10.1130/0091-7613(1991)019<0570:HPMLIS>2.3.CO;2
- Cain, J.S, Evans, J.P. and Foster, C.B. (1996) Fault zone architecture and permeability structure. Geology, v.24, p.1125-1128.
- Choi, J.-H., Yang, S.-J. and Kim, Y.-S.(2009) Fault zone classification and strutural characteristics of the southern Yangsan fault in the Sangcheon-ri area, SE Korea. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.45, p.9-28.
- Chung, D., Song, Y., Kang, I.-M. and Park, C.-Y. (2013) Optimization of Illite Polytype Quantification Method. Economic and Environmental Geology, v.46, p.1-9(in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2013.46.1.1
- Chung, D., Song, Y., Park, C.-Y., Kang, I.-M., Choi, S.-J. and Khulganakhuu, C. (2014) Reactivated Timings of Some Major Faults in the Chugaryeong Fault Zone since the Cretaceous Period. Economic and Environmental Geology, v.47, p.29-38(in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2014.47.1.29
- Duvall, A.R., Clark, M.K., van der Pluijm, B.A. and Li, C. (2011) Direct dating of Eocene reverse faulting in northeastern Tibet using Ar-dating of fault clays and low-temperature thermochronometry. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v.304, p.520-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2011.02.028
- Grathoff, G.H. and Moore, D.M. (1996) Illite polytype quantification using Wildfire calculated X-ray diffraction patterns. Clays and Clay Minerals, v.44, p.835-842. https://doi.org/10.1346/CCMN.1996.0440615
- Grathoff, G.H., Moore, D.M., Hay, R.L. and Wemmer, K. (2001) Origin of illite in the lower Paleozoic of the Illinois basin; evidence for brine migration. Geological Society of America Bulletin, v.113, p.1092-1104. https://doi.org/10.1130/0016-7606(2001)113<1092:OOIITL>2.0.CO;2
- Haines, S.H. and van der Pluijm, B.A. (2008) Clay quantification and Ar-Ar dating of synthetic and natural gouge: Application to the Miocene Sierra Mazatan detachment fault, Sonora, Mexico. J. Structural Geology, v.30, p.525-538. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsg.2007.11.012
- Inoue, A., Utada. M. and Wakita, K. (1992) Smectite-toillite conversion in natural hydrothermal systems. Applied Clay Science, v.7, p.131-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-1317(92)90035-L
- Itaya, T., Nagao, K., Inoue, K., Honjou, Y., Okada, T. and Ogata, A. (1991) Argon isotopic analysis by newly developed mass spectrometric system for K-Ar dating. Mineralogical Journal, v.15, p.203-221. https://doi.org/10.2465/minerj.15.203
- Khulganakhuu C., Song, Y., Chung, D., Park, C., Choi, S.-J., Kang, I.-M. and Yi, K. (2015) Reactivated Timings of Inje Fault since the Mesozoic Era. Economic and Environmental Geology, v.48, p.41-49(in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2015.48.1.41
- KIGAM (2012) Active Fault Map and Seismic Harzard Map, KIGAM report (NEMA-자연-2009-24), KIGAM, 899p.
- Kim, Y.H. and Lee, K.H.(1987) Astudy on the structure of Yangsan fault in the southern part of Kyeonju. Journal of the Korean Institute of mineral and mining engineers, v.20, p.247-260.
- Kim, Y.S. and Park, J.-Y.(2006) Cenozoic deformation history of the area around Yangnam-Yangbuk, SE korea and its tectonic sinificance. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, v.26, p.1-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jseaes.2004.08.008
- Kuwahara, Y., Uehara, S. and Aoki, Y. (1998) Surface microtopography of lath-shaped hydrothermal illite by tapping-modeTM‚ and contact-mode AFM. Clays and Clay Minerals, v.46, p.574-582. https://doi.org/10.1346/CCMN.1998.0460511
- Kuwahara, Y., Uehara, S. and Aoki, Y. (2001) Atomic Force Microscopy study of hydrothermal illite in Izumiyama pottery stone from Arita, Saga prefecture, Japan. Clays and Clay Minerals, v.49, p.300-309. https://doi.org/10.1346/CCMN.2001.0490404
- Kyung, J.B. and Lee, K.H.(2006) Actine fault study of the Yangsan fauly system and Ulsan fault system, southeastern part of the Korean Peninsula. Journal of the Korean Geophysical Society, v.9, p.219-230.
- Lee, K.H. and Na, S.H. (1983) A study of microearthquake activity of the Yangsan fault. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea. v.19, p.127-135.
- Lee, K.H., Jeong, B.G., Kim, Y.H. and Yang, S.J. (1984) A geophysical study of Yangsan fault area. Journal of the Geophysical Society of Korea. v.20, p.222-240.
- Lee, K.H., Lee, K.H., Jeong, B.G. and Kim, Y.H. (1985) A geophysical study of Yangsan fault area(II). Journal of the Geophysical Society of Korea. v.21, p.79-89.
- Park, C., Song, Y., Chi, S.J., Kang, I.-M, Yi, K. and Chung, D. (2013) U-Pb(SHRIMP) and K-Ar Age Dating of Intrusive Rocks and Skarn Minerals at the W-Skarn in Weondong Mine. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, v.26, p.161-174. https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2013.26.3.161
- Pevear, D.R. (1992) Illite age analysis, a new tool for basin thermal history analysis. In: Kharaka, Y.K. and Maest, A.S. (eds.) Water-Rock interaction. Balkema, Rotterdam, p.1251-1254.
- Pevear, D.R. (1999) Illite and hydrocarbon exploration. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, v.96 n.7, p.3440-3446.
- Rahl, J.M., Haines, S.H. and van der Pluijm, B.A. (2011) Links between orogenic wedge deformation and erosional exhumation: Evidence from illite age analysis of fault rock and detrital thermochronology of syn-tectonic conglomerates in the Spanish Pyrenees. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v.307, p.180-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2011.04.036
- Reynolds, R.C.Jr. (1994) WILDFIRE: a computer program for the calculation of three dimensional X-ray diffraction patterns of mica polytypes and their disordered variation. 8 Brook Rd.
- Schleicher, A.M., Warr, L.N., Kober, B., Laverret, E. and Clauer, N. (2006) Episodic mineralization of hydrothermal illite in the Soultz-sous-Forts granite (Upper Rhine Graben, France). Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v.152, p.349-364. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00410-006-0110-7
- Schleicher, A.M., van der Pluijm, B.A. and Warr, L.N. (2010) Nanocoatings of clay and creep of the San Andreas fault at Perkfield, California. Geology, v.38, p.667-670. https://doi.org/10.1130/G31091.1
- Solum, J.G., van der Pluijm, B.A. and Peacor, D.R. (2005) Neocrystallization, fabrics and age of clay minerals from an exposure of the Moab Fault, Utah. Journal of Structural Geology, v.27, p.1563-1576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsg.2005.05.002
- Song, Y., Chung, D., Choi, S.-J., Kang, I.-M., Park, C., Itaya, T. and Yi, K. (2014) K-Ar illite dating to constrain multiple events in shallow crustal rocks: Implications for the Late Phanerozoic evolution of NE Asia. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, v.95, p.313-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jseaes.2014.05.018
- Srodon, J. and Eberl, D.D. (1984) Illite. In Bailey, S.W. (ed.) Micas, Reviews in Mineralogy. Mineralogical Society of America, Washington DC. 13, p.495-544.
- van der Pluijm, B.A., Hall, C.M., Vrolijk, P.J., Pevear, D.R., and Covey, M.C. (2001) The dating of shallow faults in the Earth's crust. Nature, v.412, p.172-175. https://doi.org/10.1038/35084053
- van der Pluijm, B.A., Vrolijk, P.J., Pevear, D.R., Hall, C.M. and Solum, J.G. (2006) Fault dating in the Canadian Rocky Mountains; Evidence for late Cretaceous and early Eocene orogenic pulse. Geology, v.34, p.837-840. https://doi.org/10.1130/G22610.1
- Vrolijk, P. and van der Pluijm, B.A. (1999) Clay gouge. Journal of Structural Geology, v.21, p.1039-1048. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8141(99)00103-0
- Ylagan, R.F., Pevear, D.R. and Vrolijk, P.J. (2000) Discussion of "Extracting K-Ar ages from shales: a theoretical test". Clay Minerals, v.35 p.599-604. https://doi.org/10.1180/000985500546918
- Phanerozoic polyphase orogenies recorded in the northeastern Okcheon Belt, Korea from SHRIMP U-Pb detrital zircon and K-Ar illite geochronologies 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jseaes.2017.08.002
Supported by : 한국기상산업진흥원