- Volume 49 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Geologic Age of Quartz Schist - Quartzite from Yeongam and Yeongsanpo Areas around Southwestern Part of Ogcheon Belt
옥천대 서남부 영암과 영산포 석영편암-규암의 지질시대
Choi, Sung-Ja;Kim, Dong-Yeon;Song, Kyo-Young
- Received : 2016.04.18
- Accepted : 2016.04.29
- Published : 2016.04.28
Quartz schist - quartzite is often intercalated in metasedimentary rocks of Ogcheon belt or aligned parallel to the boundary between Yeongnam massif and Ogcheon belt. However, stratigraphic sequence and or geologic age of the rocks has been still variable among authors as Precambrian or Paleozoic. In this study, we carried out SHRIMP U-Pb age data of detrital zircons from Yeongam and Yeongsanpo areas and compared ours with other zircon ages from other areas. The detrital zircons from the studied area show no age younger than 1.8 Ga but yielded clusters at Neoarchean (2.5 Ga) and Paleoproterozoic (1.8 Ga). On the other hand, the age range of zircon U-Pb dating of Paleozoic quartzites yielded from Archean to middle Paleozoic and clusters at Paleoproterozoic, Neoproterozoic and Paleozoic. The characteristics of the zircon age range and the dominant age peak might become a key to classify the Proterozoic to Paleozoic quartz schists-quartzites, which ages are still remained under controversy. Based on the statistical results of the zircon ages in this study, quartz schist - quartzite from Yeongam and Yeongsanpo is considered to be deposited during Proterozoic.
quartz schist-quarzite;1.8 Ga;zircon age distribution;dominant peak age;Paeleoproterozic;Paleozic
- Ha, Y., Song, Y.-S. and Kim, J-M. (2014) Gwangju Shear Zone : Is it the Tectonic Boundary between the Yeongnam massf and Okcheon Metamorphic Belt?, Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.23, p.17-30. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2014.23.1.017
- Hartman, L.A., Leite, J.A.D., Silva, L.C., Remus, M.V.D., McNaughton, N.J., Groves, D.I., Fletcher, I.R., Santos, J.O.S. and Vasconcellos, M.A.Z. (2000) Advances in SHRIMP geochronology and their impact on understanding the tectonic and metallogenic evolution of southern Brazil. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, v.47, p.829-844. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-0952.2000.00815.x
- Kim, D.-Y., Choi, S.-J. and Yi, K. (2015) SHRIMP U-Pb Zircon Ages of the Metasandstone in the Yeongam- Gangjin Area, Economic and Environmental Geology, v.48, p.287-299. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2015.48.4.287
- Kim, H.S., Hwang, M.-K., Ree, J.-H. and Yi, K., (2013) Tectonic linkage between the Korean Peninsula and mainland Asiain the Cambrian: Insights from U−Pb dating of detrital zircon. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 368, 204-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2013.03.003
- Kim, Y.B., Cho, D.-L. and Choi, S.J. (2014) Geological Map and Explanatory Text of Yeongam sheet (scale 1:50,000). Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, 77p.
- Kim, Y.J., Kil, Y.W., Park, J. B. (2015) Geological Map and Explanatory Text of Yeongsanpo sheet (scale 1:50,000). Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, 46p.
- Lee, Y.I., Choi, T., Lim, H.S. and Orihashi, Y. (2012) Detrital zircon U−Pb ages of the Jangsan Formation in the northeastern Okcheon belt, Korea and its implications for material source, provenance, and tectonic setting. Sedimentary Geology, 282, p.256-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sedgeo.2012.09.005
- Lee, Y.I., Choi, T., Lim, H.S. and Orihashi, Y. (2016) Detrital zircon geochronology and Nd isotope geochemistry of the basal succession of the Taebaeksan Basin, South Korea: Implications for the Gondwana linkage of the Sino-Korean (North China) block during the Neoproterozoic−early Cambrian. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 441, p.770-786. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2015.10.025
- Park, K.H., Lee, T.H. and Yi, K. (2011) SHRIMP U-Pb ages of detrital zircons in the Daehyangsan Quartzite of the Okcheon Metamorphic Melt, Korea. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.47, p.423-431.
- Vavra, G., Schmid, R. and Gebauer, D. (1999) Internal morphology, habit and U-Th-Pb microanalysis of amphibolite-to-granulite facies zircons: Geochronology of the Ivrea Zone(Southern Alps). Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v.134, p.380-404. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004100050492
Grant : 지질도폭 조사연구
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원