- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on Shear Characteristics of a Rock Discontinuity under Various Thermal, Hydraulic and Mechanical Conditions
다양한 열-수리-역학적 조건 하에서 불연속면 전단 거동 특성에 관한 실험적 연구
- Received : 2016.02.11
- Accepted : 2016.04.21
- Published : 2016.04.30
Understanding the frictional properties of rock discontinuities is crucial to ensure the stability of underground structures. In particular, the frictional behavior at depth depends on the complex interaction among mechanical, hydraulic, thermal and chemical characteristics and their coupled effects. In this study, a series of shear tests were carried out in a triaxial compression chamber to investigate the shearing behavior of saw-cut granite surface and rough shear surface of synthetic rocks. The test results were analyzed using Coulomb's shear strength criterion. The frictional behavior of saw-cut granite surface showed little variation at different confining, water pressures and temperature conditions, however in case of synthetic rocks, the frictional behavior showed different trend depending on normal stress level. In addition, the variation of stiffness and dilation at different testing conditions were analyzed, and the stiffness and dilation showed little variation at different water pressures and temperature conditions.
Friction angle;Cohesive strength;Shear test;T-H-M coupled process;Triaxial compression chamber
- Barton, N. and Choubey, V., 1977, The shear strength of rock joints in theory and practice, Rock Mech., 10(1-2), 1-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01261801
- Barton, N., 1973, Review of a new shear strength criterion for rock joints, Eng. Geology, 7, 287-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7952(73)90013-6
- Cheon, D. S., Lee, H. S., Lee, C. I., and Lee, H. K., 1999, A study on hydro-mechanical behaviors of rock joints using rotary shear testing apparatus, Tunnels and Underground Space, Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Vol. 9, 328-336 (in Korean).
- Domenico, G., 2009, Geothermal quake risks must be faced, Nature, 462, 848-849. https://doi.org/10.1038/462848a
- Duncan, N., 1969, Engineering Geology and Rock Mechanics, 2, Leonard Hill, London, 270p.
- Engelder, T., 1992, Stress regimes in the lithosphere, Princeton University Press.
- Goldstein, M., Goosev, B., Pyrogovsky, N., Tulinov, R. and Turovskaya, A., 1966. Investigation of mechanical properties of cracked rock, Proc. Congr. Int. Soc. Rock Mech., 1st, Lisbon, 1966, 1, 521-524.
- Harouaka, A., Mtawaa, B., Al-Majed, A., Abdulraheem, A. and Klimentos, T., 1995, Multistage triaxial testing of actual reservoir cores under simulated reservoir conditions, Int. Symposium of the Society of Core Analysis, San Fransisco, California, 12-14.
- Jaeger, J.C. and Rosengren, K.J., 1969, Friction and sliding of joints, Proc. Aust. Inst. Min. Metall. M, 229, 93-104.
- Jaeger, J.C., 1959, The frictional properties of joints in rock, Geofisica pura e applicata, 43.1, 148-158. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01993552
- Kim, T. and Jeon, S., 2011(b), Shearing behavior of a rupture surface of rock under Thermo-hydro-mechanical coupled conditions, Int. J. Geo-eng., 3(3), 23-31. https://doi.org/10.9735/0975-28220.127.116.11-34
- Kim, T., Jeon, S., 2011(a), An experimental study on shear behavor of crystalline rocks under T-H-M conditions, Proceedings of the Korean Society for Rock Mechanics conference, 175-179 (in Korean).
- Kovari, K., Tisa, A., and Attinger, R.O., 1983, The concept of "continuous failure state" triaxial tests, Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 16.2, 117-131. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01032794
- Lee, H. W., 1993, A study on thermal cracking and temperature dependence of strength and deformation beavior of rocks, Ph.d dissertation, Seoul national university (in Korean).
- Lee, S. D., 2002, A study of the influence of roughness on fracture shear behaviour and permeability, Tunnels and Underground Space, Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Vol. 12, No. 4, 312-320 (in Korean).
- Lee, Y. K., 2011, Experimental study on prediction of shear behavior of rock joints, Master dissertation, Seoul national university (in Korean).
- Li, Z., Sheng, Y. and Reddish, D.J., 2005, Rock strength reduction and its potential environmental consequences as a result of groundwater rebound, Proc. 9th Int. Mine Water Congr., Oviedo, Spain, 513-519.
- Lockner, D.A., Summers, R., Moore D. and Byerlee. J.D., 1982, Laboratory measurements of reservoir rock from the Geysers geothermal field, California, Int. J. Rock. Mech. Min. Sci. & Geomecah. Abstr., 19, 65-80.
- Majer, E.L., Baria, R., Stark, M., Oates, S., Bommer, J., Smith, B. and Hiroshi, A., 2007, Induced seismicity associated with enhanced geothermal systems, Geothermics, 36, 185-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geothermics.2007.03.003
- Newland, P.L. and Allely, B.H., 1957, Volume changes in drained triaxial tests on granular materials, Geotechnique, 7, 17-34. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1918.104.22.168
- Park, B. K., Lee, C.,and Jeon, S., 2007, Shear behavior of rough granite joints under CNS conditions, Tunnels and Underground Space, Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Vol. 17, No. 3, 203-215 (in Korean).
- Park, J. W., 2009, Constitutive model for shear behavior of rock joint based on 3D quantification of joint roughness, Ph.d dissertation, Seoul national university (in Korean).
- Patton, F.D., 1966a, Multiple modes of shear failure in rock and related materials., PhD Thesis, Univ of Illinois, 282p.
- Patton, F.D., 1966b, Multiple modes of shear failure in rock, 1st ISRM Congr. Int. Soc. Rock Mech., Lisbon, 1966, 1, 509-513.
- Pellet, F.L., Keshavarz, M. and Boulon, M., 2013, Influence of humidity conditions on shear strength of clay rock discontinuities, Engineering Geology, 157, 33-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2013.02.002
- Rosengren, K.J., 1968, Rock mechanics of the black Star open cut, Mount Isa., PhD Thesis, Austr. Nat. Univ.
- Seoul National University, 2008, 지하처분연구시설(KURT)에서의 암석물성에 대한 특성 평가 보고서, 158p (in Korean).
- Stesky, R.M., Brace, W.F., Riley, D.K. and Robin, P.Y., 1974, Friction in faulted rock at high temperature and pressure, Tectonophysics, 23.1, 177-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-1951(74)90119-X
- Tse, R. and Cruden, D.M., 1979, Estimating joint roughness coefficients, Int. J. Rock. Mech. Min. Sci. & Geomecah. Abstr., 16.5, 303-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(79)90241-9
- Tunbridge, L.W., 1989, Interpretation of the shut-in pressure from the rate of pressure decay, Int. J. Rock. Mech. Min. Sci. & Geomecah. Abstr., 26.6, 457-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(89)91421-6
Grant : 고수압 초장대 해저터널 기술자립을 위한 핵심요소 기술개발
Supported by : 건설교통과학기술진흥원