- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
New Business Success using Strategic Innovation Strategy: Marine Engine Business and HEMAPT System of the Hyundai Heavy Industries Co.
신규사업성공과 전략적 기술혁신전략: 현대중공업의 엔진사업진출과 HEMAPT시스템 개발
- Received : 2016.03.10
- Accepted : 2016.04.12
- Published : 2016.04.30
Firms should seek greater profits and corporate growth through new businesses. New businesses contribute realizing creative economy that creates good jobs, and expanding the company by securing new markets and creating new profits and growth. However, new business is risky management decision-making to have a high failure rate because it involves the adaptation of new business environment and the burden of new investments, including the uncertainty of success in business. Therefore, innovation strategies play important roles for the new business entry, using product innovation, process innovation, business model innovation, disruptive innovation, and strategic innovation, etc. and company will get huge economic results by pushing them into successful business. It is essential that innovation strategy and IT development strategy along with business strategy of a firm are linked, and their strategic alignment is considered to be a critical success factor for new business success. Hyundai Heavy Industries(HHI) pursued marine engine business for the development of precision machinery industry and shipbuilding industry of Korea, and the company recognized the importance of new business strategy, innovation strategy, and IT strategy inter-linked, and pushed strategic alignment boldly. As a result, HHI won the competition in European and Japanese engine manufacturers and climbed into the world's largest engine manufacturer. This study suggests investigating and analyzing a case that HHI succeeded in marine engine business expansion using strategic innovation strategy as a way of the introduction of CNC machine tools and the development of HEMAPT system.
new business success;strategic innovation strategy;system development;Hyundai Heavy Industries Co.
- Anderson, J. and Markides, C.(2006), "Creativity is not Enough: ICT Enabled Strategic Innovation," European Journal of Innovation Management, 9(2), 129-148. https://doi.org/10.1108/14601060610663532
- Chan, Y. E., Huff, S. I., Barclay, D. W. & Copeland, D. G.(1997), "Business Strategic Orientation, Information Systems Strategic Orientation, and Strategic Alignment," Information Systems Research, 8(2), 125-150. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.8.2.125
- Charitou, D. and Markides, C.(2003), "Responses to Disruptive Strategic Innovation," MIT Sloan Management Review, Winter, 55-63.
- Choi, Byoung G., Jeon, Cha S., Yoo, Woo S., and Pyoun, Young S.(1997), CAD/CAM System and CNC Machining, Hui Jung Dang.
- Christensen, C. M., Johnson, M. W. and Rigby, D. K.(2002), "Foundations for Growth: How to Identify and Build Disruptive New Business," MIT Sloan Management Review, Spring, 22-31.
- Henderson, J. C. and Venkatraman, N.(1993), "Strategic alignment: Leveraging information technology for transforming organizations," IBM Systems Journal, 32(1), 4-16.
- HHI(1992), History of HHI, Hyundai Heavy Industries Co.
- HHI(2010), "Renew world record of marine engine production," Magazine of HHI, 430. Hyundai Heavy Industries Co.
- HHI(2012), "Powerful Engine of HHI," Magazine of HHI, 446. Hyundai Heavy Industries Co.
- HHI(2015), "HiMSEN Engine by R&D," Magazine of HHI, 483. Hyundai Heavy Industries Co.
- Hwang, Ha J., Ko, Il S., and Park, Kyoung H.(2012), Electronic Commerce and e-Business, 4th. Ed., Kyoung Moon Sa.
- Jang, Se J.(1997), Strategic Management, Park Young Sa.
- Kim, Eun H. and Kim Wha Y.(2008), Management Information Systems, 2nd Ed., Da San Publishing.
- Kim, Wha Y.(2012), "The Critical Success Factors of the Innovation and Strategy Using Information Technology: Case Study of Hyundai Heavy Industries Co.." Journal of the Korea Society of IT Services, 11(4), 87-105. https://doi.org/10.9716/KITS.2012.11.4.087
- Kim, Young I., Huh, Sung J., Lee, Sang S., Kwon, Yang G., Hwang, Kyoung C., and Choi, Sin(1999), New CNC Machining, Won Chang Publishing,
- Lee, Bong G.(2008), Experiencing CNC Program, Science and Technology.
- Lee, Yang H.(2013), "A Study on Establishing the Concept of Creative Economy and Creative Management," Management Consulting Research, 13(2), 231-255.
- Markides, C.(1997), "Strategic Innovation," MIT Sloan Management Review, 38, 9-23.
- Nam, Dae I.(2004), "Strategic Innovation," CEO Report, 782, LG Weekly Economy, 8-14.
- Noh, Sang R.(2007), CNC Programing and Machining, Il Jin Sa.
- Park, Cheol S. and Sumantra, K.(2010), World Class Korean Company, Books 21.
- Park, Jong Y. and Jang, Yong H.(2000), CNC Programing and Machining Technology, Il Jin Sa.
- Park, Jun Y.(2009), Strategic Management, Chung Nam.
- Park, Won K., Hyun, Dong H., and Lee, H.(2007), New CAM/CNC Machining, Chung Moon Gak.
- Pearlson, K. E. and Saunders, C. S.(2009), Strategic Management of Information Systems, 4th Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 23-25.
- Scheuss, R.(2010), Handbuch Der Strategien, Campus Verlag GmbH.
- Seo, Kee M.(2002), Strategic Management, Deo Nan Publishing.
- Shin, Jang H.(2013.1.30), "Failing Firm Powerful Firm," LG Businees Insight, 2-15.
- Shin, Yoo K.(2006), Principles of Management, Da San Publishing.
- Yoo, Gab S.(1997), CAM Application Technology for Automation of Part Production," Korea Information Processing Society Review, 4(4,) 81-90.
- Yoon, Woo J. and Hong, Sung H.(2013), "A Study on the Influencing Factors of New Market Entries of Korean Business Groups," J. of Business Research, 28(1), 1-23.