- Volume 6 Issue 2
Due to the expandability of smartphone, the mobile application market is growing explosively. However, as happens in other digital contents markets, piracy of mobile applications is prevalent. This study investigated the effects of behavioral factors on smartphone application piracy. The research model consists of factors from the theory of planned behavior model - subjective norms, attitudes toward piracy and perceptions of behavioral control. In addition, perceived consequences, past behavior and habit was included. The past behavior of PC software piracy was a meaningful predictor of habit, and habit was found to influence significantly the smartphone piracy intention. The result also shows that perceived benefit had significant effect on attitude, but both perceived legal and technical risk were not significantly related to attitude. Implications for research and practice are discussed.
Smartphone Apps Piracy;Mobile Apps;PC Software;Past Behavior;Habit
- Ajzen, I., and M. Fishbein, "Belief, Attitude, Intention and Behavior: An Introduction to Theory and Research", Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1975.
- Ajzen, I., "The Theory of Planned Behavior", Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.50, No.2, 1991, 179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Ajzen, I.,"Perceived Behavioral Control, Self‐Efficacy, Locus of Control, and the Theory of Planned Behavior", Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.32, No.4, 2002, 665-83. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2002.tb00236.x
- Anderson, J.C., and D.W. Gerbing, "Structural Equation Modeling in Practice", Psychological Bulletin, Vol.103, No.3, 1988.
- Bandura, A., Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory, Prentice-Hall, Inc, 1986.
- Beck, L., and I. Ajzen, "Predicting Dishonest Actions Using the Theory of Planned Behavior", J. of Research in Personality, Vol.25, No.3, 1991, 285-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-6566(91)90021-H
- Chen, Y.-C., R.-A. Shang, and A.-K. Lin, "The Intention to Download Music Files in a P2P Environment", Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Vol.7, No.4, 2008, 411-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2008.02.001
- Chiu, R.K., "Ethical Judgment and Whistleblowing Intention", Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.43, 2003, 65-74. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022911215204
- CNET, "How Piracy Ruins It for Paid Apps", 2011.9.19.
- Conner, M., and C.J. Armitage, "Extending the Theory of Planned Behavior", J. of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.28, No.15, 1998, 1429-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1998.tb01685.x
- Cronan, T.P., and S. Al-Rafee, "Factors That Influence the Intention to Pirate Software and Media", Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.78, No.4, 2008, 527-45. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-007-9366-8
- D'Astous, A., F. Colbert, and D. Montpetit, "Music Piracy on the Web-How Effective Are Anti-Piracy Arguments?", Journal of Consumer Policy, Vol.28, No.3, 2005, 289-310. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10603-005-8489-5
- Fraedrich, J.P., and O.C. Ferrell, "The Impact of Perceived Risk and Moral Philosophy Type on Ethical Decision Making in Business Organizations", Journal of Business Research, Vol.24, No.4, 1992, 283-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(92)90035-A
- GSMA, The Mobile Economy, 2015.
- Hair, J.F., W.C. Black, B.J. Babin, and R.E. Anderson, Multivariate Data Analysis. 7th ed. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 2009.
- Hunt, S.D., and S. Vitell, "A General Theory of Marketing Ethics", Journal of Macromarketing, Vol.6, No.1, 1986, 5-16. https://doi.org/10.1177/027614678600600103
- Jeong, Youn-Sik, Yeong-Ung Park, Jae-Chan Moon, Seong-Je Cho, Dongjin Kim, Minkyu Park, "An Anti-Piracy Mechanism Based on Class Separation and Dynamic Loading for Android Applications", In Proceedings of the 2012 ACM Research in Applied Computation Symposium, 328-32.
- Kim, E., S. Kim, and J. Choi, "Detecting Illegally-Copied Apps on Android Devices", in IT Convergence and Security (ICITCS), International Conference on, 2013, 1-4.
- Korea Copyright Commission, Research on Status of Copyright Violations from Mobile Equipment and Setting up Countermeasures, 2011. ("스마트 기기를 통한 저작권 침해 실태조사 및 대응방안 연구," 한국저작권위원회, 2011. )
- Leonard, L.N.K., and T.P. Cronan, "Illegal, Inappropriate, and Unethical Behavior in an Information Technology Context", Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol.1, No.12, 2001, 1-31.
- Limayem, M., M. Khalifa, and W.W. Chin, "Factors Motivating Software Piracy", IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol.51, No.4, 2004, 414-25. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2004.835087
- MOIBA(Korea Mobile Internet Business Association), Trend of Mobile Internet Industry, 2015.
- Nandedkar, A., and V. Midha, "It Won't Happen to Me: An Assessment of Optimism Bias in Music Piracy", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.28, No.1, 2012, 41-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2011.08.009
- Ouellette, J. a., and W. Wood, "Habit and Intention in Everyday Life: The Multiple Processes by Which Past Behavior Predicts Future Behavior.", Psychological Bulletin, Vol.124, No.1, 1998, 54-74. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.124.1.54
- Peace, A.G., D.F. Galletta, and J.Y.L. Thong, "Software Piracy in the Workplace: A Model and Empirical Test", Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.20, No.1, 2003, 153-77. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2003.11045759
- Thong, J.Y.L., and C.-S. Yap, "Testing an Ethical Decision-Making Theory: The Case of Softlifting", Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.15, No.1, 1998, 213-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.1998.11518203
- Triandis, H.C., "Values, Attitudes, and Interpersonal Behavior", In Nebraska Symposium on Motivation, Vol. 27, 1980, 195-259.
- Vitell, S.J., J.J. Singh, and J.G.P. Paolillo, "Consumers' Ethical Beliefs: The Roles of Money, Religiosity and Attitude toward Business", Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.73, No.4, 2007, 369-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-006-9212-4
- Williams, Kirk R. and Richard Hawkins, "Perceptual Research on General Deterrence: A Critical Review", Law and Society Review, Vol. 20, 545-572.
- Yoon, C., "Theory of Planned Behavior and Ethics Theory in Digital Piracy: An Integrated Model", Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.100, No.3, 2011, 405-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0687-7
- Impact of Different Stakeholders of Bike-Sharing Industry on Users’ Intention of Civilized Use of Bike-Sharing vol.10, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/su10051437
Supported by : 경기대학교