- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Service improving the subjective happiness in Cancer Patient receiving Radiation Therapy
방사선 치료 중인 암환자의 주관적 행복감 향상을 위한 탐색적 연구
Song, Mi Soon;Kim, Hyun Li
- Received : 2015.11.20
- Accepted : 2016.04.04
- Published : 2016.04.30
This study is to find a service that improves the subjective happiness of cancer patients that receive radiation therapy. One hundred and one cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy were enrolled in the survey to verify the self-consciousness and symptom distress that could affect the subjective happiness. Independent t-test, one-way analysis of variance, and Pearson correlation were conducted with the SPSS 20.0 program. Symptom distress of cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy showed highest in the order of fatigue, appearance changes, dizziness, loss of appetite, and sleep disorders. And lower symptom distress, higher private self-consciousness were significantly correlated with higher subjective happiness among patients receiving radiation therapy for cancer. Study findings reflect the necessity of an integrative approach combining physical, psychological and emotional interventions during a radiotherapy period. For this cause, it would be necessary to supplement previously existing service programs and organize a patient-friendly system that could affiliate regional cancer centers or Public health centers with the hospitals in which the patients are being treated.
Radiation Therapy;symptom distress;self-consciousness;subjective happiness;service
- Andrews, Frank M. and John P. Robinson (1991), Measures of Subjective Well-Being, in Measures of Personality and Social Psychological Attitudes, San Diego: Academic Press: 61-114.
- Andrews, Frank M. and Stephen B. Withey (1976), Social Indicators of Well-Being: Americans' Perceptions of Life Quality, New York: Plenum.
- Bae, S. H. and Park, J. S. (2007), Symptom Distress and Spiritual Well-Being in Patients with Cancer according to Illness and Treatment, Journal of Korean Academic Fundamental Nursing, 14(4), 457-465.
- Bristol, C. M. and Choi, Y. S. translation (2007), (The)magic of believing, Business books Publishing Inc.
- Campbell, A., Converse, P. E. and Rodgers, W. L. (1976), The quality of American life, New York : Russel Sage Foundation.
- Chang, J. Y., Ryu, K., Suh, E. K. and Choi, I. C. (2007), Quality of Life of Working Men, Women, and Housewives Measured by the Day Reconstruction Method(DRM), The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 21(2), 123-139.
- Choi, S. I. (2012), Das transzendentale Ich im transzendentalen SelbstbewuBtsein in der Kritik der reinen Vernunft. Journal of Korean philosophical society, 123, 441-465.
- Diener, E. (1984), Subjective well-being, Psychological Bulletin, 95, 542-575. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542
- Diener, E. and Fujita, F. (1995), Resources, personal strivings, and subjective well-being: a nomothetic and idiographic approach. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 68(5), 926-935. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1996
- Fenigstein, A., Scheier, M. F. and Buss, A. H. (1975), Public and private self-consciousness: assessment and theory. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 43(4), 522-527.
- Holland JC. (1990), Radiotherapy. In : Handbook of psycho-oncology. Ed by Holland JC and Rowland JH, New York, Oxford University Press, 134-145.
- Hong, K. I. (2008), The relationship with the trust about the coherence of Seligman's Happy Determining Factor and the Subjective Euphoria, Unpublished Master's Thesis, Keimyung University.
- Hong, M. S., Yom, Y. H. and Kim, G. M. (2012), The analysis of Trends and Contents of Nursing Intervention Research for Cancer Patients in Korea. Asian Oncology Nursing, 12(4), 247-256. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.4.247
- Hwang, J. G., Kim, Y. H. (2005), Family Support Perceived by Cancer Patients, Family Caregivers' Burden and Physical and Psychological Health, Journal of Family relations, 10(2), 173-198.
- Jang, H. S. (2009), The Relationship of Subjective Health Personality traits Happiness and Death attitude of the Korean Elderly, The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 22(2), 23-40.
- Jang, Y. H. (2005), Relationship between Subjective well-being and sense of five kinds of personality traits of college students, Journal of student guidance, 31, 93-107.
- Jeon, K. S., Jung, T. Y. (2009), Happiness Determinants for Korean Adolescents, Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, 15(1), 133-153.
- Jo, K. H., Song, B. S. (2012), Effect of Family Cohesion, Subjective Happiness and other Factors on Death Anxiety in Korean Elders, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 42(5), 680-688. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.5.680
- Ju, H. S. (2012), The Performance of Consciousness and the Experience of Liminal Space in A Feeling, Like Paradise, Korean Journal of Drama, 37, 167-192.
- Jung, M. S. (2007), A Study on Radiation-Treated Cancer Patients' Symptom Distresses and Fatigue Symptoms, Unpublished Master's Thesis, Hanyang University of Korea, Seoul
- Kim, D. R. (1992), A Study on the Sex Typed Response Styles and Related Variables in Androgynous Males and Females, Unpublished Doctor's Thesis, Sung Kyun Kwan University of Korea, Seoul.
- Kim, J. H. (2007), The Relationship between Life Satisfaction/Life Satisfaction Expectancy and Stress/Well-Being: An Application of Motivational States Theory, Korean journal of health psychology, 12(2), 325-345. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2007.12.2.003
- Kim, J. H. (2011), Jaspers Psychiatrie und seine Philosophie der Existenzerhellung, Philosophy, The Korean Philosophical Association, 106, 143-171.
- Kim, M. S. (2012), Characteristics of the Korean's Representation and Understanding on Happiness and Good Death, Humanities research, 86, 307-352.
- Kim, S. Y. and Baek, H. J. (2008), The Construction of Korean Youth Happiness Index, Korean Journal of Sociology, 42(6), 140-173.
- Kim, U. C., Hong, C. S., Lee J. G. and Park, Y. S. (2005), Factors influencing health and quality of Life among allergy and asthma patients: With specific focus on self-efficacy, social support and health management. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, 11(2), 143-181.
- Koh, K. B. and Kim, G. E. (1990), A Comparison of Psychopathology between Cancer Patients on Radiotherapy and Noncancer Patients, Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 29(3), 662-668.
- Koo, J. S. and Suh, E. K. (2011), Happiness in Korea: Who is Happy and When?, Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 25(2), 143-166.
- Lee, C. G. (2009), Palliative Radiotherapy. Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, 12(1), 1-4.
- Lee, H. K. (2007), Belief psychology, Hakjisa.
- Lee, S. S., Park, Y. J., Han, S. H. and Park, J. S. (2011), The Adverse Effects of Radiotherapy and Its Management in the Hospice and Palliative Care Patients, Korean journal of hospice and palliative care, 14(2), 61-70.
- Longman, A. J., Braden, C. J. and Mishel, M. H. (1999), Side-effects burden, psychological adjustment, and life quality in women with breast cancer: pattern of association over time. Oncology Nursing Forum, 26(5), 909-915
- Lyubomirsky, S. and H. S. Lepper (1999), 'A measure of subjective happiness: Preliminary reliability and construct validation', Social Indicators Research 46, 137-155. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006824100041
- Lyubomirsky, s. (2001), Why are some people Happier than Others?, American Psychological Association, 56(3), 239-249. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.56.3.239
- Mishel, M. and Braden, C. J. (1987), Uncertainty: A mediator between support and adjustment. West Journal Nursing Research, 9(1), 43-57. https://doi.org/10.1177/019394598700900106
- McCorkle R. and Young K. (1978), Development of symptoms distress scale. Cancer Nursing, 373-378.
- Nahm, I. S. (2007), A study of the pursuit of happiness. Social Theory, 3, 217-320.
- National Cancer Information Center:http://www.cancer.go.kr/cancer
- Nettle, Daniel and Woo, S. K. translation (2006), Happiness: the science behind your smile. Wiswbook.
- Oh, J. H. (2003), Study of mutual relations to the symptom distress of the cases under the chemotherapy after mastectomy, self-care deed and family support. Unpublished master's thesis, The Ewha Womans University of Korea, Seoul.
- Park, A. C. (1998), This concept of 'SELF' in a cultural point of comparison. Journal of the Institute for Cross-Cultural Studie, 31, 115-128.
- Park, J. E., Kang, E. H., Park, Y. M., Choi, S. W. and Chae, J. H. (2008), Happiness and Positive Psychology in Mental Health. The Korean Journal OF Stress Rresearch, 16(2), 107-114.
- Parker, R. G. and Withers, H. R. (2001). Principle of radiation oncology in C. M. Haskell. Cancer treatment(5th ed), WB Saunders Comp.:Philadelphia, London.
- Rhodes, V. A. and Watson, P. M. (1987), Symptom distress-The concept: Past and present. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 3(4), 242-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-2081(87)80014-1
- Seong, B. H. and Yoon, S. A. (2010), Definition of Happiness and Its Determinants. Institute of Brain Education, 6, 103-134.
- D. C. Shin and D. M. Johnson (1978), Avowed Happiness as the Overall Assesment of the Quality of Life, Social Indicators Research, 5, 475- 492. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00352944
- Strohl, R. A. (1990), Radiation therapy : recent advances and nursing intervention. Advances in Oncology Nursing, 25(2), 309-329.
- Suh, S. R., Park, Y. S. and Park, J. H. (1994), A Study on the Depression and Symptom Distress of Cancer patients, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 6(2), 287-298.
- Uhm, D. C. (1986), exploratory study on factors related to depression and symptom distress of cancer patients. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Seoul National University of Korea, Seoul.
- Veenhoven, R. (1991), Is happiness relative?, Social Indicators Research, 24(1), 1-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00292648
- Wilson, W. (1967), Correlates of avowed happiness, Psychological Bulletin, 67, 294-306. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0024431
- Woody, S, R. and B. F. Rodriguez. (2000). Self-focused attention and social anxiety in social phobics and normal controls. Cognitive Therapy and Research 24(4), 473-488. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005583820758
- Yang, Y. H. (2003), Trajectory of Fatigue, Quality of Life and Physical Symptoms in Cancer Patients Receiving Radiotherapy. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33(5), 562-569. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.5.562
- Symptom Distress and Depression in Patients with Recurrent Gynecologic Cancer Undergoing Chemotherapy: Mediating Effect of Resilience vol.31, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2019.31.1.28