- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Stress on Game Addiction in University Students: Moderating Effect of Human Relation Skills
대학생의 일상생활 스트레스가 게임중독에 미치는 영향: 대인관계 기술의 조절효과
- Kang, Moon Sil (Jeju International University, Liberal Studies Faculty) ;
- Kim, Yoon Sook (Jeju International University, College of Business) ;
- Kim, Young Hee (Jeju University, School of Education)
- Received : 2016.02.17
- Accepted : 2016.04.15
- Published : 2016.04.30
This study examined the influence of university students' stress in their daily lives on game addiction, and investigated whether the human relation skills has a moderating effect on their daily life stress. For this study, surveys of 222 university students were collected and analyzed with SPSS 18.0 program. The results of this study are as follows: First, the participants displayed lower human relation skills as the level of stress from the studies increased. In contrast, the participants displayed higher human relation skills as the level of stress from future plans and family relations increased. Second, as the level of game addiction increased, human relation skills were found to be lower. Third, the university students' stress from daily lives had a static effect on game addiction. The participants displayed tendency of game addiction as they had high levels of stress from their studies, financial issues, future plans, values, family relations, and human relations with people apart from their family. Among the listed factors of stress, the stress from the studies most strongly influenced the participants to be addicted to games. Fourth, among the sub-factors of stress in the university students, issues in future plans and family relations significantly control the game addiction. Studies on this area has been insufficient. From the study, it is found that in order to prevent university students to be addicted to games, they must cope well with their stress. Furthermore, this study carries its significance in finding the results that human relation skills contribute as a part of dealing with stress.
Stress for University Students;Game Addictions;Human Relation Skills
- An J. Y. (2008), "The relationship between psychological environment of home and internet game addiction disposition on adolescents: the moderate effect of interpersonal relationship skills", Dong Sin University, Master's thesis.
- Boo, J. M. (2007), "Ecological bariables affecting the online-game flow and addiction of the youth", Sook Myung University, Ph.D thesis.
- Brantley, P. J., McKnight, G. T., Jones, G. N., Dietz, L. S., and Tuley, R. (1988), Convergence between the daily stress inventory and endocrine measures of stress, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 56, 549-551. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.56.4.549
- Cho, C. B. (2010), "A study on the effect of family function on adolescents' violence delinquency and the verification of the mediating effect of Internet game addiction", Yon Sei University, Ph.D thesis.
- Chon, K. K., Kim, K., H. Yi, J. S. (2000), "Development of the Revised Life Stress Scale for College Students", Korean journal of health psychology, 5(2), 316-335.
- Cho, Y. J. (2005), "Moderating variables on the transition to bullies of witnesses or victims of bullying(wang-ta in Korean)", Sook Myung University, Ph.D thesis.
- Cho, Y. S. (2004), "The Effect of Social Competence Enhancement Program on Self-Efficacy and Interpersonal Relation Ability of Middle School Students from Single-Parent Families", Kyung Sung University, Master's thesis.
- Danoff, A. L. (1996) The effects of multiple preventive intervention strategies on alcohol and other drug knowledge and behavior, social competence, and self-esteem of at-risk youth, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Barry University.
- DeLongis, A., Folkman, S., and Lazarus, R. S. (1988), The impact of daily stress on health and mood: Psychological and social resources as mediators, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54, 486-496. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.526
- Gerrig, R. J., and Zimbardo, P. G. (2008), Psychology and life, NY: Allyn & Bacon.
- Goldberg, I. (1996), Internet addiction. Electronic message posted to research discussion list. http://www.cmhc.com.
- Han, I. S. (2003), "Study on the effect moderating in management research", Management and Economics Research, 25(2), 139.
- Han, K. Y. (2004), "The Role of Independent and Interdependent Self-Construals in Marital Satisfaction among Men and Women", Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 56(4), 239-268.
- Ivancevich, J. M., Matteson, MlT. (1980), "Optimizing human resources: A case for preventive health and stress management", Organization Dynamics, 9(2), 5-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(80)90037-6
- Kaplan, H. B. (1996), Perspectives on psychological stress. In H. B. Kaplan (Ed.), Psychosocial stress: Perspectives on structure, theory, life-course, and methods. New York: Academic Press.
- Kim, K. H. (2014), "Analysis of moderated effects of acceptance and committed action in the relation between college life stress and psychological well-being", Chon Nam National University, Ph.D thesis.
- Kim, C. W. (2006), "The effect of sport club participation on the stress, school adjustment of university student", Journal of Leisure and Recreation Studies, 33(3), 177-188.
- Kim, H. J. (2002), "A study on effective variables of the addictive usage of the internet", Dae Gu University, Master's thesis.
- Kim, J. N. (2000), "The usage time in the internet and change in interpersonal relation and psychological state", Kang Won National University, Master's thesis.
- Kim, J. U., Lee, J. J. (2005), "Cross-cultural study of the relationship between leisure and quality of life", Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 19(2), 1-15.
- Kim, M. K. (2002), "The Relationship between computer game addiction and the aggression, impulsiveness, and social anxiety of elementary school upper classmen", Kyung Nam University, Master's thesis.
- Kim, S. J. (2002), "Development of adolescent internet game addiction scale and psychosocial vulnerability factors of internet game addiction", A Jou University, Master's thesis.
- Kim, S. J. (2015), "The relationship among game motivation, game flow and addiction, adjustment to college: with focuses on the difference between PC and mobile", Catholic University, Master's thesis.
- Kim, S. Y., Cho, K. L., Hwang J. H. (2007), "High school students' internet addiction by their interpersonal", The Journal of Youth Studies, 14(4), 39-57.
- Kim, Y. H. Lee, Y. J. (2013), "The structural equation model validation of social anxiety, empathy, social skills, anger-expressive form, interpersonal relationships satisfaction affecting", Korea Journal of Counseling, 14(3), 1587-1604. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.14.3.201306.1587
- Kim, Y. J. (2005), "Violent computer games, aggressive delinquency, internet delinquency, and internet game addiction in adolescents", The Korea Journal of Clinical Psychology, 24(2), 359-377.
- Kim, Y. K. (2012), "Mediational effects of internet addiction and lrrational gambling belief on the association between adolescents' stress and gambling behaviors in present and future", The Korea Journal of Counseling and Psychotherpy, 24(1), 175-195.
- Kimball, A. and Freysinger, V. J. (2003), Leisure, stress, and coping: The sport participation of collegiate student-athletes, Leisure sciences, 25, 115-141. https://doi.org/10.1080/01490400306569
- Kwon, J. H. (2005), "Relations of psychological and environmental variables to internet game addiction: Testing the mediation model of interpersonal skills", Chon Nam National University, Ph.D thesis.
- Kwon K. M. (2009), "Development and application of a measurement scale for depression and interpersonal relationships for university students participating in liberal dance education", Won Kwang University, Ph.D thesis.
- Kook, J. S. (2005), "The study on the inter personal relations disposition in accordance with the university student's participation motivation in physical education program", Sang Myung University, Master's thesis.
- Lee, C. W., Park, K. W., Lee, H. C. (2004), "An Analysis on Leisure Activity Types and Stress from Daily Life", Korean Sport Research, 15(3), 577-585.
- Lee, E. H. (2004), "Life Stress and Depressive Symptoms among College Students: Testing for Moderating Effects of Coping Style with Structural Equations", The Korean Journal of Health psychology, 9(1), 25-52.
- Lee, H. C. (2001), "A study on developing the internet game addiction diagnostic scale and the effectiveness of cognitive-behavioral therapy for internet game addiction", The Graduate School of Korea University, Ph.D thesis.
- Lee, H. H. (2001), "The Relationships between Self - respect and Stress according to the Participation of Leisure Sports Activity", Korean Society for the Sociology of Sport, 14(2), 567-579.
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, Korea Creative Content Agency. (2015), "Gamers Survey 2015", http://gametoc.han kyung.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=30443. 2015.7.5.
- Naeil newspaper. (2009), "Youth game addiction adult gambling addiction", 2009.4.22.
- Oh, C. G., Kim J. H. (2009), "A Study on Adolescent Internet Game Addiction and Behavioral Problems Based on the Ecology", Internal e-Commerce Association, 9(1), 1-26.
- Oh, S. S., Oh, K. A., Sohn, Y. M. (2013), "Analysis of the trend of researches in study of leisure in Korea: Major journals were centered", Korean Journal of Physical Eduaction, 52(2), 1-10.
- Oh, S. S., Sohn, Y. M., Jeon, H. S. (2013), "Life stress and leisure coping in college students", Journal of Leisure Studies, 11(2), 59-74.
- Park, C. K., Kim, C. D. (2003), "Analysis of Risk Factors Leading Adolescents to Excessive Use of Internet ", The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, 11(1), 84-95.
- Park, J. E. (2000), "A study effective variables of the addictive usage of the internet by adolescents", Sook Myung University, Master's thesis.
- Park, J. S. (2007), "The relation among the degree of participation in social sports activity, leisure attitude and stress coping behavior", Korean Sports Research, 18(3), 249-256.
- Park, Y. S. Kim U. C. (2006), "Factors influencing quality of life for individuals and korean society: indigenous psychological analysis across different generations", Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, 12(1), 161-195.
- Seo, J. H. (2012), "The moderation effect of basic psychological needs between game flow and game addiction", Catholic University, Master's thesis.
- Suh, S. Y., Lee, Y. H. (2007), "The relationships between daily hassles, social support, absorption trait and internet addiction ", The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 26(2), 391-405. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2007.26.1.022
- UnivTomorrow Research Laboratory for the Twenilas(2015), "Game Addiction for 20 college students who stress", http://yd.herald corp.com/contents/front/news/newsView.asp?news_seq=355. 2015.7.10.
- Yang, D. K. (2003), "The Differences of Adolescents' Activity and Satisfaction of Interpersonal Relationship according to the Internet Addiction Tendency", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 10(3), 481-500.
- Yonhnpnewes. (2016.3.16), "Until children killed in impulse control disorders." Child abuse called game addiction... http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2016/03/16/0200000000AKR20160316137700061.HTML?input=1195m.
- Yoo S. K. (2006), "The Relationship between Parental Attachment, Computer Game Addiction and School Life Adjustment in Elementary School Students", In Cheon University, Master's thesis.
- Yu, J. H. (2003), "Difference in the interpersonal relations disposition according to internet usage of adolescent: Anonymous and addictive usage of the internet", Sook Myung University, Master's thesis.