- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Design and Implementation of Socket-based Multi-player Game Service for Elementary Mathematics Learning
초등 수학 학습을 위한 소켓 기반 멀티플레이형 게임 서비스의 설계 및 구현
Kim, Sung Wan
- Received : 2016.02.03
- Accepted : 2016.04.10
- Published : 2016.04.30
The educational computer game service, due to its entertainment role, is a very attractive tool for students to raise their interests in learning. Especially mathematics, the most difficult subject for many students, is one of the typical subjects in which the educational computer game service can be efficiently applied. Most of the previous game services is for single or two learners. And learner only have to simply submit a solution for the proposed math expression in the game. In this paper a multi-player game service based on TCP/IP socket programming technique is designed and implemented to join in the game for multiple learners. In addition, we design a game rule to improve learners' number sense by letting them arrange various ways to solve the problem. Finally, using the requirements of educational game service, we evaluate the proposed game service and its usability.
Educational Game Service;Math Learning Game;Socket Programming
- Ahn, K. (2008), "The study of Using Mathematical Games in School Mathematical Learning", MS. dissertation, Kookmin University, Seoul.
- Cho, E., and Kim, I. (2007), "Game Based Online Contents Development in Middle School Mathematics", Journal of Korea Contents Association, 7(9), 248-256.
- Choi, J. (2014), "A Study on Development of a Program for Improving Number Sense (Grade 3 in Elementary School)", MS. dissertation, Gyeongin National University of Education, Inchon.
- Han, C. (2003), "Effects of Learning Mathematics with Computer Games on Children's Attitudes of Mathematics", MS. dissertation, Seoul National University of Education, Seoul.
- Kang, J. (2007), "Impact on Academic Performance and Motivation of Computer Game-applied Learning by Gender", MS. dissertation, Korean University, Seoul,
- Kim, H., Kim, C., and Kim, S.(2007), "Computer-Aided Education : Developing & Applying a Template-based Game-type Learning Contents Authoring Tool", Journal of the Korean Association of Computer Education, 10(1), .41-53.
- Kim, S. (2010), "A Study of Mathematical Game and Puzzles With Learners", Journal of Elementary Mathematics Education in Korea, 14(3), 567-581.
- Lee, E. (2001), "A Study on Development of a Learning Program for Enhancing Number-Operation Sense ", MS. dissertation, Seoul National University of Education, Seoul.
- Park, J. (1998), "Teaching and Learning Reality for Mathematics Using Game", 22nd Elementary Mathematics Seminar, Korea Society of Elementary Mathematics Education, 243-258.
- Yoon, S. (2011), "TCP/IP Scoket Programming", Freelec Pub, Seoul.
- Math Duel (2015), http://www.androidappsgame.com/math-duel-2-player-math-game
- Math Two (2015), http://www.prongo.com/mathtwo
- Wikipedia (2015), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ncurses