- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Factors Affecting the Service Failure ZOT and severity Perception
서비스실패의 허용영역과 심각성 지각에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구
- Received : 2016.02.25
- Accepted : 2016.04.20
- Published : 2016.04.30
As the development of service marketing, research on service failure has gained more and more attention. This research aims to explore factors influencing the service failure severity perception, focus on consumers' internal propensity, ZOT(zone of tolerance) about service and comparison with other consumers in service failure situation. According to study results, it revealed that past experience satisfaction has negative effect on the zone of tolerance about service failure. Company image also has negative effect on the ZOT about service failure. While service importance has negative effect on the ZOT about service failure, it has positive effect on the perceive service failure severity. The ZOT about service failure has negative effect on perceived serviced failure severity. In contrast, social comparison perception level has no effect on perceived service failure severity, and negative affectivity also has no effect on that. In Conclusion, five hypothesis are accepted among seven hypothesis. This study gives important point to researchers and service providers in the service industry. For researchers, the result will be helpful them to further develop service failure and recovery framework. For service providers, the results will suggest specific guidelines for recovering the service failure. They can place emphasis on the serious point, so they can get a effective performance from the recovery strategy.
Negative affectivity;Social comparison perception level;ZOT(zone of tolerance)
- Anderson, James C. and Gerbing, David W.(1988), "Structural Equation Modeling in Practice : A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach," Psychological Bulletin, 103(3), 411-423 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- Berry, L. L. and Parasuraman, A. (1991), "Marketing Services: Competing through Quality", New York; The Free Press
- Bitner, M. J. (1990), "Evaluating Service Encounters : The Effects and Physical Surroundings and Employee Responses", Journal of Marketing, 52(April), 69-82
- Bitner, M. J., Booms, B. H. and Tetreault, M. S. (1990), "The Service Encounter : Diagnosing Favorable and Unfavorable Incidents", Journal of Marketing, 54(1), 71-84 https://doi.org/10.2307/1252174
- Cheong, Eun. S, (2002), " A Study on the Factors Effect's Perceived Expectation Level of Service," Dankook University, doctoral thesis.
- Cheong, Hyun. Y.(2008), "Effects of Personal Value Attitude on the Forgiveness of Service Failures in a Restaurant Context ," The Korea Contents Society) , 8(6), 222-231
- Choi, Ja. Y.(2005), "A Comparison of Perceived Nursing Needs among Oncology Nurses, Patients with Non terminal Cancer and Patients with Terminal Cancer," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35(6), 1135-1143 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.6.1135
- Clark, L. A., and Watson, D. (1991). Tripartite model of anxiety and depression: psychometric evidence and taxonomic implications. Journal of abnormal psychology, 100(3), 316 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.100.3.316
- Czepiel. J. A. (1990), "Service Encounters and Service Relationships", Journal of Business Research, 30(2), 91-104
- Festinger, L. (1954), "A Theory of Social Comparison Processes", Haman Relation, 7, 117-140 https://doi.org/10.1177/001872675400700202
- Gilly, M. C., and Gelb, B. D. (1982). Post-purchase consumer processes and the complaining consumer. Journal of Consumer Research, 323-328.
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., and William, C. (1998). Black (1998), Multivariate data analysis.
- Hoffman, K. D., Kelly, S. W. and Rotalsky, H. (1995), "Tracking Service Failures and Employee Recovery Efforts", Journal of Services Marketing, 9(2), 49-61 https://doi.org/10.1108/08876049510086017
- Holbrook, M. B. and Hirschman, E. C. (1982), "The Experiential Aspects of Consumption : Consumer Fantaisies, Feelings and Fun", Journal of Consumer Research, 9(2), 132-140 https://doi.org/10.1086/208906
- Jin, Li. Yim.(2004), " The Factors Effect's Perceived Customers Expectation Level of Service Recovery, " 培材大學校社會科學硏究所, 25, 61-84
- Keaveney, S. M. (1995), "Customer Switching Behavior in Service Industries : An Exploratory Study", Journal of Marketing, 59, April, 71-82
- Kelley, S. W. and Davis, M. A. (1994), "Antecedents to Customer Expectation for Service Recovery", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2(2), 52-61
- Kelley, S. W., Hoffman, K. D. and Davis, M. A. (1993), "A Typology of Retail Failures and Recoveries", Journal of Retailing, 69(4), 429-452 https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4359(93)90016-C
- Kim, Jin. W, Pak M. S. and Lee C. S.(2009), "A Study on the Improvement Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty of Transport Service Users,"KOREA INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL REVIEW, 24(4), 125-142. https://doi.org/10.18104/kaic.24.4.200912.125
- Kim, Soo. I.(2003), "Study on Shopping Orientations and Evaluation of Importance of Services According to the Types of Patronage Store : Focusing on the Female Apparel Consumers,"Dongduk Women's University, Master's Thesis.
- Kim, Yoon. H.(2008), " Study on the Effect of HTS(Home Trading System)Service Quality, Brand Image and Perceived Risk on Repurchase Intention-Focus on Online Stock Trading-,"Hanyang University, Master's Thesis.
- Kong, Ok R. and Rhee H. J.(2007), " Loyal Customers and Their Experiences of Negative Emotions in Case of Service Failures: Findings in the Financial Industries," Journal of Consumer Studies, 18(4), 215-235
- Kurtz, D. L., and Clow, K. E. (1998). Services marketing. Wiley.
- Lee, Min. Y.(2005), "Study on perceived justice on the customer's response to service recovery in the context of service failure severity : focusing on service environment," Pusan National University, Master's Thesis.
- Levin, I. and Stokes, J. (1989), "Dispositional Approach to Job Satisfaction : Role of Negative Affectivity", Journal of Applied Psychology, 74, 752-758 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.74.5.752
- Maxham, J. G. (2001), "Service Recovery's Influence on Consumer Satisfaction, Positive Word-of-Mouth, and Purchase Intentions", Journal of Business Research, 54(1), 11-24 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(00)00114-4
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A. and Berry, L. (1991), "Understanding Customer Expectations of Service", Sloan Management Review, Spring, 39-48
- Rhee H.yong. J. and Kong, O. R. (2007), "Effects of Willingness to Seek Information and Perceived Severity of Service Failure on the Psychological Processes and Behavioral Responses," Journal of Korean Marketing Association , 22(2), 177-203
- Schmitt, B.(1999), "Experiential marketing," Journal of marketing management, 15(1-3), 53-67 https://doi.org/10.1362/026725799784870496
- Smith, R. E. and Swinyard, W. R. (1983), "Attitude-Behavior Consistency : The Impact of Product Trial versus Advertising", Journal of Marketing Research, 20(3), 257-267 https://doi.org/10.2307/3151829
- Watson, D. and Clark, L. A. (1984), "Negative Affectivity : The Disposition to Experience Aversive Emotional States", Psychological Bulletin, 96, 465-490 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.96.3.465
- Weun, S., S. E. Beatty and M. A. Jones (2004), "The Impact of Service Failure severity on Service Recovery Evaluations and Post-recovery Relationships", Journal of Services Marketing, 18(2), 133-146 https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040410528737
- Wheeler, L. (1966). Motivation as a determinant of upward comparison. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 1, 27-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(66)90062-X
- Yi You. J. and Kim W. C.(1998), "물The Influence of Physical Environment on Service Quality Perception ; Acomparative Study,"Korea Marketing Review, 13(1), 61-86
- Yi You. J.(2006), "Determinants of Customers' Information Engagement and the Moderating Effect of Involvement", Asia Marketing Journal, 8(3), 13-40.
- Yu, Hu. F., Ji H. J., Kang, G. D.(2013), "The Influences of Service Failure Severity and Controllability on Recovery Satisfaction - Moderating Role of ATC," Korean Journal of Administration, 26(4), 829-850
- Zeithaml Valarie, A., Jo, B. M., and Gremler Dwayne, D. (1996). Services marketing. International Editions. The McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Zeithaml, V. A., Bitner, M. J. and Gremler, D. D. (1993), "Service Marketing -Integrating Customer Focus across the Firm, Singapore : McGraw-Hill(international ed.)
- Kim, Jung. G.(1981), "Principle of New PR", Seoul : tamgudang.
- Sanghera, J. L. and de Chernatony (2002), "Testing Gronroos' Model in the Financial Services Sector", The Service Industries Journal, 22(3), 1-14
Supported by : 동아대학교