- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Flight Trajectory Characteristics of Ballistic Missiles Considering Effects of Drag Forces
항력을 고려한 탄도미사일 비행궤적 특성 해석
Kim, Jiwon;Kwon, Yong Soo
- Received : 2016.03.03
- Accepted : 2016.04.18
- Published : 2016.04.30
This paper analyzed flight trajectory characteristics of ballistic missiles considering effects of drag forces. It is difficult to intercept ballistic missiles which fly over atmosphere with supersonic speeds and small radar cross section (RCS). In particular, the velocities in the phases of boost and terminal are changed significantly due to the steep variation of the drag force. Therefore, in order to build up a successful ballistic missile defense systems, the effects of the drag forces should be considered in the analysis of ballistic missile trajectory characteristics. In this point of view, this work analyzed the effects of drag forces and derived the flight trajectory characteristics of Scud B, C and Nodong missiles. Model of the ballistic missile flight trajectory is considered the effects of Coriolis and centrifugal forces, and specifications of the missiles are open sources.
Ballistic missile;Flight trajectory;Drag force;Ballistic missile defense system
- Y. S. Kwon, "Technical analysis and assessment of North Korea ballistic missiles," Journal of National Defense Studies, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 1-27, 2013.
- H. S. Kim, K. T. Kim, and G. W, Jeon, "A requirement assessment algorithm for anti-ballistic missile considering ballistic missile's flight characteristics," Journal of the Korea Institute of Military Science and Technology, Vol 14, No. 6, pp. 1009-1017, 2011. https://doi.org/10.9766/KIMST.2011.14.6.1009
- J. I. Ahn and Y. S. Kwon, "Analysis of the flight trajectory characteristics of ballistic missile depending on the operational parameters, Korea Association of Defense Industry Studies, Vol 20. No. 2, pp 119-136, 2013.
- Markus Schiller, Characterizing the North Korean nuclear missile threat, Santa Monica, CA: RAND, pp.3-30, 2012.
- George M. Siouris, Missile Guidance and Control Systems, New York, NY: Springer, pp.366-382, 2003.
- Heinz H. Koelle, Handbook of Astronautical Engineering, New York. NY: McGraw-Hill, pp.6-24-6-50, 1961.
- E. L. Fleeman, Tactical Missile Design, 2nd ed, Reston, VA: AIAA, pp.29-34. 2006.
- D. Lennox, Jane's Weapons Strategic, Englewood, CO: IHS, pp.40-48, 2012.
- D. C. Wright and T. Kadyshev, "An analysis of the North Korean Nodong missile," Science & Global Security, Vol. 4, pp.129-160, 1994.