- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Time Difference Using Cross-Correlation in Underwater Environment
수중 환경에서 상호상관을 이용한 시간차이 추정
Lee, Young-Pil;Moon, Yong Seon;Ko, Nak Yong;Choi, Hyun-Taek;Lee, Jeong-Gu;Bae, Young-Chul
- Received : 2016.02.26
- Accepted : 2016.04.22
- Published : 2016.04.30
Recently, underwater acoustic communication (UWAC) has been studied by many scholars and researchers. In order to use UWAC, we need to estimate time difference between the two signals in underwater environment. Typically, there are major three methods to estimate the time-difference between the two signals such as estimating the arrival time of the first non-background segment and calculate the temporal difference, calculating the cross-correlation between the two signal to infer the time-lagged, and estimating the phase delay to infer the time difference. In this paper, we present calculating the cross-correlation between the two signals to infer the time-lagged to apply UWAC. We also present the experimental result of estimating the arrival time by using cross-correlation. We get EXCORR = 0.003055 second as the estimation error in mean absolute difference.
Cross-correlation;Time difference;Underwater acoustic communication;Underwater environment;Hydrophone
- A. Ranjan, "Underwater wireless communication network," Advance in Electronic and Electric Engineering, Vol. 3, No.1, pp. 41-46, 2013.
- H. W. Kang and W.O. Han, "Performance analysis of variable rate multi-carrier CDMA under an underwater acoustic," Journal of the Korea Institute of Electronics Communications Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 33-38, 2012.
- Y. P. Lee, Y. S. Moon, N. Y. Ko, H.T. Choi, L. Huang, and Y. C. Bae, "Measurement of DS-CDMA propagation distance in underwater acoustic communication considering attenuation and noise," International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, Vol.15, No.1, pp.20-26, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2015.15.1.20
- Y. P. Lee, Y. S. Moon, N. Y. Ko, H. T. Choi, L. Huang, and Y. C. Bae, "DSSS-based channel access technique DS-CDMA for underwater acoustic transmission," International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 53-59, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2015.15.1.53
- P. J. Gendron, "Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing with on-off keying: Noncoherent performance bounds, receiver design and experimental results," U.S. Navy Journal of Underwater Acoustics, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 267-300, 2006.
- M. Stojanovic, "Low complexity OFDM detector for underwater channels," in Proceedings of MTS/IEEE OCEANS Conference, Boston: MA, pp. 18-21, Sept. 2006.
- Y. W. Im and H. W. Kang, "Performance analysis of an adaptive OFDM over an underwater acoustic channel," Journal of the Korea Institute of Electronics Communications Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 509-515, 2010.
- B. Li, S. Zhou, M. Stojanovic, L. Freitag, and P. Willett, "Multicarrier communication over underwater acoustic channels with nonuniform Doppler shifts," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 198-209, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2008.920471
- Y. Labrador, Masoumeh Karimi, Deng Pan, and Jerry Miller, "Modulation and Error Correction in the Underwater Acoustic Communication Channel," International J. of Computer Science and Network Security, Vol. 9, No.7, pp. 123-130, July 2009.
- D. H. Lee and Y. M. Yang, "Two-dimensional localization problem under non-Gaussian noise in underwater acoustic sensor networks," Journal of the Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, Vol. 23, No.5, pp. 418-422, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2013.23.5.418
- S. H. Noh, N. Y. Ko and H. T. Choi, "Implementation and performance comparison for an underwater robot localization methods using seabed terrain information", Journal of the Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, Vol. 25, No.1, pp.70-77, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2015.25.1.070
- H. S. Son, J. B. Park, and Y. H. Joo, "Intelligent range decision method for figure of merit of sonar equation," Journal of the Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, Vol. 23, No .4, pp. 304-309, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2013.23.4.304
- D. J. Shin, S. Y. Na, and J. Y. Kim, "Fuzzy distance estimation for a fish robot," International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 316-321, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2005.5.4.316
- Y. W. Im, P. S. Lim, J. G. Lee, and C. S. Kim, "Interface effect analysis between undersea fiber optic cable and underwater acoustic channel," Journal of the Korea Institute of Electronics Communications Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 9, pp. 979-986, 2015. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2015.10.9.979
Grant : R&D center for underwater construction robotics
Supported by : Korea Institute of Marine Science &Technology Promotion(KIMST)