- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Dispersion-managed Optical Links with the Uniform Distributions of SMF Lengths and Residual Dispersion Per Span
SMF 길이와 중계 구간 당 잉여 분산의 분포가 균일한 분산 제어 광전송 링크
- Received : 2016.03.10
- Accepted : 2016.04.05
- Published : 2016.04.30
In high capacity and long haul optical communication systems, signal distortion is induced by chromatic dispersion and nonlinear effects of optical fibers. Dispersion management (DM) combining with mid-spans spectral inversion (MSSI) is one of the various techniques for overcoming this drawback. The most simple configuration of DM link is obtained by uniformly distributing the lengths of single mode fiber (SMF) and residual dispersion per span (RDPS) over whole fiber spans consisted of optical link. In this paper, the system performances in the uniformly distributed DM link combined with MSSI are assessed as a function of the number of fiber spans, because the system performances in this configuration are used as the significant performance criterion in other link configurations, such as the artificial distribution or the random distribution of SMF lengths and RDPS.
Dispersion management;Mid-span spectral inversion;Optical phase conjugator;Residual dispersion per span;Net residual dispersion
- A. Yariv, D. Feketa, and D. M. pepper, "Compensation for channel dispersion by nonlinear optical phase conjugation," Optics Letters, vol. 4, pp. 52-54, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.4.000052
- X. Xiao, S. Gao, Y. Tian, and C. Yang, "Analytical optimization of the net residual dispersion in SPM-limited dispersion-managed systems," Journal of Lightwave Technology., Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 2038-2044, May 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2006.872278
- M. Suzuki and N. Edagawa, "Dispersion-managed high-capacity ultra-long-haul transmission," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 916-929. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2003.810098
- M. A. Talukder, and M. N. Islam, "Performance of bi-end compensation in a wavelength-division multiplexed system considering the effect of self phase modulation," Optical Engineering, Vol. 44, No. 11, pp. 115005-1-115055-6, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.2128631
- S. L. Jansen, D. van den Borne, P. M. Krummrich, S. Spalter, G.-D. Khoe, "Long-haul DWDM transmission systems employing optical phase conjugation", IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics., Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 505-520, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTQE.2006.876621
- S. Watanabe and M. Shirasaki, "Exact compensation for both chromatic dispersion and Kerr effect in a transmission fiber using optical phase conjugation", Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp 243-248, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/50.485581
- A. Chowdhury and R.-J.Essiambre, "Optical phase conjugation and pseudolinear transmission", Optics Letter, Vol. 29, No. 10, pp. 1105-1107, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.29.001105
- P. Minzioni and A. Schiffini, "Unifying theory of compensation techniques for intrachannel nonlinear effects," Optical Express, Vol. 13, No. 21, pp. 8460-8468, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1364/OPEX.13.008460
- S. R. Lee, "Effects of residual dispersion in half transmission section on net residual dispersion in optical transmission links with dispersion management and mid-span spectral inversion compensation characteristics of distorted WDM signals depending on distribution patterns of SMF length and RDPS," Journal of Advanced Navigation Technology, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 455-460, 2014. https://doi.org/10.12673/jant.2014.18.5.455
- J. P. Chung and S. R. Lee, "Pseudo-symmetric link configuration in dispersion-managed WDM transmission system with optical phase conjugator," Information, Vol. 17, No. 11B, pp. 5963-5968, Nov. 2014.
- H. B. Yim and S. R. Lee, "Compensation characteristics of optical signal distortions in dispersion-managed optical links with randomly distributed RDPS," International Journal of Information and Communication Technology, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 37-49, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJICT.2016.073638
- S. R. Lee, "Dispersion managed optical transmission links with an artificial distribution of the SMF length and residual dispersion per span," Journal of Information and Communication Convergence Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 75-82, 2014. https://doi.org/10.6109/jicce.2014.12.2.075
- G. P. Agrawal, Nonlinear fiber optics, 3rd ed. San Francisco:CA, Academic Press, 2001.
- N. Kikuchi and S. Sasaki, "Analytical evaluation technique of self-phase modulation effect on the performance of cascaded optical amplifier systems," Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 868-878. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/50.387804