- Volume 10 Issue 5
The effects of reinforcement on the horizontal and vertical deformations of geosynthetic reinforced retaining walls are investigated under a well-known seismic load (San Jose earthquake, 1955). Retaining walls are designed with internal and external stability (with appropriate factor of safety) and deformation is chosen as the main parameter for describing the wall behavior under seismic load. Retaining walls with various heights (6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 meter) are optimized for geosynthetics arrangement, and modeled with a finite element method. The stress-strain behavior of the walls under a well-known loading type, which has been used by many previous researchers, is investigated. A comparison is made between the reinforced and non-reinforced systems to evaluate the effect of reinforcement on decreasing the deformation of the retaining walls. The results show that the reinforcement system significantly controls the deformation of the top and middle of the retaining walls, which are the critical points under dynamic loading. It is shown that the optimized reinforcement system in retaining walls under the studied seismic loading could decrease horizontal and vertical deformation up to 90% and 40% respectively.
reinforced soils;retaining walls;geosynthetic;seismic load;numerical method
- AASHTO (1998), Interims: Standard specifications for highway bridges, American Assoc. State Highway Trans. Officials, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Barkan, D.D. (1962), Dynamics of Bases and Foundations, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA.
- Bathurst, R.J., Allen, T.M. and Walters, D.L. (2005), "Reinforcement loads in geosynthetic walls and the case for a new working stress design method", Geotext. Geomembr., 23(4), 287-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2005.01.002
- Bell, J.R., Stilley, A.N. and Vandre, B. (1975), "Fabric retaining Earth walls", Proceedings of the 13th Engineering Geology Soils Engineering Symposium, Moscow, ID, USA.
- BS 8006 (1995), Code of practice for strengthened/reinforced soils and other fills; The British Standards Institution.
- Cai, Z. and Bathurst, R.J. (1995), "Seismic response analysis of geosynthetic reinforced soil segmental retaining walls by finite element method", Compos. Geotech., 17(4), 523-546. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-352X(95)94918-G
- Das, B.M. (1993), Fundamentals of Soil Dynamics, PSW-Kent.
- Day, R.D. (2002), Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill.
- Earthquake of San Jose 1955-09-05 02:01:18 UTC (1955), Consortium of Organizations for Strong-Motion Observation Systems (COSMOS), The Regents of the University of California.
- El-Emam, M.M. and Bathurst, R.J. (2007), "Influence of reinforcement parameters on the seismic response of reduced-scale reinforced soil retaining walls", Geotext. Geomembr., 25(1), 33-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2006.09.001
- Elias, V., Christophere, B.R. and Berg, R.R. (2001), "Mechanically stabilized Earth walls and reinforced soil slopes design & construction guidelines", FHWA-NHI-00-043; U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration.
- FHWA (1996), "Mechanically stabilized earth walls and reinforced soil slopes design and construction guidelines", (V. Elias and B.R. Christopher Eds.), Federal Highway Admin. (FHWA) Demonstration Project 82, Washington, D.C., USA.
- Gazetas, G., Psarropoulos, P.N., Anastasopoulos, I. and Gerolymos, N. (2004), "Seismic behavior of flexible retaining systems subjected to short-duration moderately strong excitation", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 24(7), 537-550. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2004.02.005
- GuhaRay, A. and Baidya, D.K. (2014), "Partial safety factors for retaining walls and slopes: A reliability based approach", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 6(2), 99-115. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.6.2.099
- Holtz, R.D. and Lee, W.F. (2002), "Internal stability analyses of geosynthetic reinforced retaining walls", Washington State Department of Transportation, WA-RD 532.1.
- Ismeik, M. and Shaqour, F. (2015), "Seismic lateral earth pressure analysis of retaining walls", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 8(4), 523-540. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.8.4.523
- Jesmani, M., Kashani, H.F. and Kamalzare, M. (2010), "Effect of plasticity and normal stress on undrained shear modulus of clayey soils", Acta Geotech. Slovenica, 1, 47-59.
- Jesmani, M., Hamissi, A., Kamalzare, M. and Vileh, R.S. (2011), "Optimum geometrical properties of active isolation", Proceedings of ICE - Geotech. Eng., 164(6), 385-400. https://doi.org/10.1680/geng.9.00087
- Jesmani, M., Kamalzare, M. and Nazari, M. (2013), "Numerical study of behavior of anchor plates in clayey soils", Inter. J. Geomech., ASCE, 13(5), 502-513. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0000236
- Jesmani, M., Nabavi, S.H. and Kamalzare, M. (2014), "Numerical analysis of buckling behavior of concrete piles under axial load embedded in sand", Arab. J. Sci. Eng., 39(4), 2683-2693. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-014-0970-5
- Jesmani, M., Kasrania, A., Kamalzare, M. and Mehdipour, I. (2015), "Undrained vertical bearing capacity of pile located near soft clay slope", J. Eng. Res., 3(3), 21-38. https://doi.org/10.7603/s40632-015-0021-8
- Ji, J. and Liao, H. (2014), "Sensitivity-based reliability analysis of earth slopes using finite element method", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 6(6), 545-560. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.6.6.545
- Koerner, R.B. (1986), Design with Geosynthetics, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Lee, K.L., Adams, B.D. and Vagneron, J.J. (1973), "Reinforced Earth retaining walls", J. Soil Mech. Found., ASCE, 99(10), 745-763.
- Nian, T.K., Liu, B., Han, J. and Huang, R.Q. (2014), "Effect of seismic acceleration directions on dynamic earth pressures in retaining structures", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 7(3), 263-277. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.7.3.263
- Okabe, S. (1924), "General theory on Earth pressure and seismic stability of retaining wall and dam", Doboku Gakkaishi - J. Japan Soc. Civil Eng., 10(6), 1277-1323.
- Sabermahani, M., Ghalandarzadeh, A. and Fakher, A. (2009), "Experimental study on seismic deformation modes of reinforced-soil walls", Geotext. Geomembr., 27(2), 121-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2008.09.009
- Vidal, H. (1966), "La Terre Armee", Anales de l'Institut Technique du Batiment et des Travaux Publiques, France, pp. 888-938.
- Yoo, C. and Kim, S.B. (2008), "Performance of a two-tier geosynthetic reinforced segmental retaining wall under a surcharge load: Full-scale load test and 3D finite element analysis", Geotext. Geomembr., 26(6), 460-472. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2008.05.008
- Zheng, D.F., Nian, T.K., Liu, B., Yin, P. and Song, L. (2015), "Coefficient charts for active earth pressures under combined loadings", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 8(3), 461-473. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.8.3.461
- Nation. Conc. Mason. Assoc. (NCMA), 1998, Segmental Retaining Walls - Seismic Design manual(Supplement to Design Manual for Segmental Retaining Walls authored by RJ Bathurst), Herdon, VA, USA, pp. 118-125.