- Volume 40 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Kinetic Energy and Dispersion Behavior of High-velocity Impact-induced Debris Using SPH Technique
SPH 기법을 이용한 고속충돌 파편의 운동에너지와 분산거동 연구
Sakong, Jae;Woo, Sung-Choong;Kim, Tae-Won
- Received : 2015.10.30
- Accepted : 2016.03.31
- Published : 2016.05.01
In this study, we investigate the dispersion behavior of debris and debris cloud generated by high-velocity impacts using the smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH) technique. The projectile and target plate were made of aluminum, and we confirm the validity of the SPH technique by comparing the measured major and minor axis lengths of the debris cloud in the reference with the predicted values obtained through the SPH analysis. We perform high-velocity impact and fracture analysis based on the verified SPH technique within the velocity ranges of 1.5~4 km/s, and we evaluate the dispersion behavior of debris induced by the impact in terms of its kinetic energy. The maximum dispersion radius of the debris on the witness plates located behind the target plate was increased with increasing impact velocity. We derive an empirical equation that is capable of predicting the dispersion radius, and we found that 95％ of the total kinetic energy of the debris was concentrated within 50％ of the maximum dispersion radius.
High-velocity Impact;Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics;Debris;Dispersion Radius
- Kang, P. S., Im, C. K., Youn, S. K., Lim, J. H. and Hwang, D. S., 2012, "A Study on the Damage of Satellite Caused by Hypervelocity Impact with Orbital Debris," Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, Vol. 40, No. 7, pp. 555-563. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2012.40.7.555
- Inter-Agency Space Debris Coordination Committee, 2006, "IADC Observation Campaigns," 43rd Session of UNCOPUOS S&T SC, 2006.
- Backman, M. E. and Goldsmith, W., 1978, "The Mechanics of Penetration of Projectiles into Targets," International Journal of Engineering Science, Vol. 16, pp. 1-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7225(78)90002-2
- Whipple, F. L., 1947, "Meteorites and Space Travel," Astronomical Journal, No. 1161, p. 131.
- Piekutowski, A. J., 1997, "Effects of Scale on Debris Cloud Properties," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 20, pp. 639-650. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(97)87451-9
- Poorman, K. L. and Piekutowski, A. J., 1995, "Comparisons of Cadmium and Aluminum Debris Clouds," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 17, pp. 369-648.
- Zhang, Q., Chen, Y., Huang, F. and Long, R., 2008, "Experimental Study on Expansion Characteristics of Debris Clouds Produced by Oblique Hypervelocity Impact of LY12 Aluminum Projectiles with Thin LY12 Aluminum Plates," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 35, pp. 1884-1891. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2008.07.026
- Jo, J. H. and Lee, Y. S., 2013, "Quantitative Analysis of Debris Clouds of Aluminum Plates with SPH," Proceedings of the Society of CAD/CAM Conference, pp. 755-760.
- Lee, S. S., Seo, S. W. and Min, O. K., 2003, "SPH Parameters for Analysis of Penetration Phenomenon at Hypervelocity Impact of Meteorite," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 1738-1747. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2003.27.10.1738
- Cho, Y. J., 2011, "Study on Two Dimensional SPH Hydrocode for Large Deformation Problems," Master's Thesis, Sejong University, Seoul, Republic of Korea, pp. 4-23.
- Johnson, G. R. and Cook, W. H., 1983, "A Constitutive Model and Data for Metals Subjected to Large Strains High Strain Rates and High Temperatures," Proceedings of the Seventh International Symposium on Ballistics, pp. 541-547.
- Jutras, M., 2008, "Improvement of the Characterisation Method of the Johnson-Cook Model," Master's Thesis, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada, pp. 11-20.
- Zocher, M. A. and Maudlin, P. J., 2000, "An Evaluation of Several Hardening Models Using Taylor Cylinder Impact Data," European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, pp. 1-20.
- Hayhurst, C. J., Livingstone, I. H., Clegg, R. A. and Fairlie, G. E., 1998, "Numerical Simulation of Hypervelocity Impacts on Aluminum and Nextel/ Kevlar Whipple Shields," Proceedings of the Hypervelocity Shielding Workshop, pp. 1-13.
- John, F. E., Anne, K. P., Oyvind, F., Siri, K. Stian, S., Eva, F., Jan, A. T., Cato, D. and Gard, O., 2014, "Experimental and Numerical Study of the Fragmentation of Expanding Warhead Casings by Using Different Numerical Codes and Solution Techniques," Defence Technology, Vol. 10, pp. 161-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dt.2014.05.009
- Corvonato, E., Destefanis, R. and Faraud, M., 2001, "Integral Model for the Description of the Debris Cloud Structure and Impact," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 26, pp. 115-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(01)00074-4
- Dechant, L. J., 2004, "An Analytical Solution for Unconfined, Unsteady, Inviscid Jets; with Applications to Penetration Problem Debris Cloud Formation," Computers and Mathematics with Applications, Vol. 48, pp. 201-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.camwa.2003.05.009
- Piekutowski, A. J., 1995, "Fragmentation of a Sphere Initiated by Hypervelocity Impact with a Thin Sheet," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 17, pp. 627-638. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(95)99886-V
Grant : 기초연구
Supported by : 한양대학교