- Volume 40 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Impact Force Applied on the Spent Nuclear Fuel Disposal Canister that Accidentally Drops and Collides onto the Ground
사고로 지면에 추락낙하 충돌하는 고준위폐기물 처분용기에 발생하는 충격력
- Kwon, Young Joo (Dept. of Mechanical and Design Engineering, Hongik Univ.)
- 권영주 (홍익대학교 기계정보공학과)
- Received : 2015.12.28
- Accepted : 2016.04.05
- Published : 2016.05.01
In this paper, a mathematical methodology was theoretically studied to obtain the impact force caused by the collision between rigid bodies. This theoretical methodology was applied to compute the impact force applied on the spent nuclear fuel disposal canister that accidentally drops and collides onto the ground. From this study, the impact force required to ensure a structurally safe canister design was theoretically formulated. The main content of the theoretical study concerns the rigid body kinematics and equation of motion during collision between two rigid bodies. On the basis of this study, a general impact theory to compute the impact force caused by the collision between two bodies was developed. This general impact theory was applied to theoretically formulate the approximate mathematical solution of the impact force that affects the spent nuclear fuel disposal canister that accidentally falls to the ground. Simultaneously, a numerical analysis was performed using the computer code to compute the numerical solution of the impact force, and the numerical result was compared with the approximate mathematical solution.
Supported by : 홍익대학교
- Lee, J. Y., Cho, D. K., Choi, H. J. and Choi, J. W., 2007, "Concept of a Korean Reference Disposal System for Spent Fuel," Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, Vol. 44, No. 12, pp. 1565-1573. https://doi.org/10.1080/18811248.2007.9711407
- Kwon, Y. J., 2010, "Finite Element Analysis of Transient Heat Transfer in and Around a Deep Geological Repository for a Spent Nuclear Fuel Disposal Canister and the Heat Generation of the Spent Nuclear Fuel," Nuclear Science and Engineering, Vol. 164, pp. 264-296. https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE09-11
- IAEA(International Atomic Energy Agency), 1985, Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Materials, Vienna, Austria.
- Salo, J. P. and Raiko, H., 1990, "The Copper/Steel Canister Design for Nuclear Waste Disposal," TVO/KPA Turvallisuus Ja Tekniikka, Work Report 90-10, Rev. 1., Teollisuuden Voima Oy, Helsinki, Finland.
- Zhou, C. Y., Yu, T. X. and Lee, Ricky S. W., 2008, "Drop/Impact Tests and Analysis of Typical Portable Eletronic Devices," Internationl Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 50, pp. 905-917. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2007.09.012
- Jaeger, J., 1994, "Analytical Solutions of Contact Impact Problems," Applied Mechanics Review, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 35-54. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3111070
- Wittenburg, J., 2007, Dynamics of Multibody Systems, Springer, New York, p. 223.
- Johnson, K. L., 1985, Contact Mechanics, Cambrige University Press, UK, p. 447.
- Johnson, W., 1972, Impact Strength of Materials, Edward Arnold, London, UK, p. 361.
- Hunter, S. C., 1957, "Energy Absorbed by Elastic Waves during Impact," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 5, pp. 162-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(57)90002-9
- Goldsmith, W, 2001, Impact, Dover Publications, Inc., Mineola, New York, USA, p. 309.
- Stronge, W. J., Impact Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, UK, p. 280.
- Teper, W. W. and Suave, R. G., 1989, "Simplified Method for Predicting Impact Loads of Solidwalled Transportation Packagings for Radioactive Materials," Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 111, pp. 316-321. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3265681
- Miller, G. K., 1993, "Calculation of Impact Loads for High Energy Drops of Cylindrical Containers," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 511-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(93)90083-J
- Aquaro, D. and Forassasi, G., 1983, "Impact Tests on Scale Models of a Shock Absorber for LWR Spent Fuel Transport Packaging," In: 7th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, Chicago, USA.
- Dierch, R., Weiss, M. and Dreier, G., 1994, "Investigation of the Impact Behaviour of Wooden Impact Limiter," Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 150, pp. 341-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-5493(94)90153-8
- Choi, W. S. and Seo, K. S., 2010, "A Simple Sizing Optimization Technique for an Impact Limiter Based on Dynamic Material Properties," Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 240, pp. 925-932. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2009.12.008
- Pugliese, G., Frano, R. L. and Forasassi, G., 2010, "Spent Fuel Transport Cask Thermal Evaluation under Normal and Accident Conditions," Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 240, pp. 1699-1706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2010.02.033
- Crook, A. W., 1952, "A Study of Some Impacts between Metal Bodies by a Piezo-Electric Method," Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Vol. 212, No. 1110, pp. 377-390. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1952.0088
- Ahn, K. Y. and Ryu B. J., 2005, "A Modeling of Impact Dynamics and its Application to Impact Force Prediction," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 422-428. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02916163
- Calvit, H. H., 1967, "Numerical Solution of the Problem of Impact of a Rigid Sphere onto a Linear Viscoelastic Half-Space and Comparison with Experiment," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 3, pp. 951-966. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(67)90021-2
- Kwon, Y. J., 2013, "Rigid Body Dynamic Analysis on the Spent Nuclear Fuel Disposal Canister under Accidental Drop and Impact to the Ground: Numerical analysis," Journal of the Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 373-384. https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2013.26.5.373
- Kwon, Y. J., 2016, "Theoretical and Numerical Computation of Impact Impulse Occurring due to Frictionless Collision Experienced by a Spent Nuclear Fuel Disposal Canister Accidentally Dropped on the Ground," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 637-642. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-016-0117-6