- Volume 40 Issue 5
This study focuses on a detailed ball-bearing model for spur gears. The nonlinear ball-bearing stiffness with radial clearance is derived and calculated. The bearing stiffness is used to the 3-degree-of-freedom (DOF) spur gear system model. The mode characteristics of the gear system model are analyzed and verified by performing finite-element analysis (FEA). From the results, the bearing stiffness on the radial clearance was more sensitive under low-load conditions compared to high-load conditions. The bearing stiffness significantly affected the gear dynamics in the low-frequency region, while the mesh stiffness affected the high natural frequency.
Spur Gear;Ball Bearing;Radial Clearance;Mode Shape
- Harris, T. A., 2001, Rolling Bearing Analysis, 4th ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp. 49-50, pp. 234-239.
- Gargiulo, E. P. JR., 1980, "A Simple Way to Estimate Bearing Stiffness," Machine Design, July, pp. 107-110.
- White, M. F., 1979, "Rolling Element Bearing Vibration Transfer Characteristics: Effect of Stiffness," Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Applied Mechanics, Sept. Vol. 46, pp. 677-684. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3424626
- Lim, T. C. and Singh, R., 1990, "Vibration Transmission Through Rolling Element Bearings, Part I: Bearing Stiffness Formulation," Journal of sound and vibration, Vol. 139, No. 2, pp. 179-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(90)90882-Z
- Lim, T. C. and Singh, R., 1990, "Vibration Transmission Through Rolling Element Bearings. Part II: System Studies," Journal of Sound and Vibration Vol. 139, No. 2, pp. 201-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(90)90883-2
- Lim, T. C. and Singh, R., 1991, "Vibration Transmission Through Rolling Element Bearings. Part III: Geared Rotor System Studies," Journal of Sound and Vibration Vol. 151, No. 1, pp. 31-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(91)90650-9
- Liew, H. V. and Lim, T. C., 2005, "Analysis of Time-varying Rolling Element Bearing Characteristics," Journal of sound and vibration, Vol. 283, pp. 1163-1179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.06.022
- Krauss, J. et al., 1987, "In Situ Determination of Rolling Bearing Stiffness and Damping by Modal Analysis," Journal of Vibration, Acoustics, Stress, and Reliability in Design, Vol. 109, pp. 235-240. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3269426
- Fleming, D. P., 2002, "Effect of Bearing Dynamic Stiffness on Gear Vibration," NASA/TM-2002-211356.
- Guo, Y. and Parker, R. G., 2012, "Stiffness Matrix Calculation of Rolling Element Bearings Using a Finite Element / Contact Mechanics Model," Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 51, pp. 32-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2011.12.006
- Young, W. C., 1989, Roark's Formulas for Stress & Strain, 6th ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, p. 650.
- Park, C. I., 1992, "A Study on the Load Transmission and Vibration Characteristics of Gear Systems," Seoul National University, Ph.D Dissertation.
- Park, C. I., 2015, "Dynamic Force Analysis of Spur Gears with Consideration of Bearings," Proc. of the Fall Conference of Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, pp. 755-757.
Supported by : 강릉원주대학교