- Volume 40 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Optimal Muffler Design Considering the Insertion Loss Calculated Outside the Duct
덕트 밖에서 계산된 삽입 손실을 고려한 머플러 최적 설계
Lee, Jong Kyeom;Oh, Kee Seung;Lee, Jin Woo
- Received : 2016.01.29
- Accepted : 2016.04.04
- Published : 2016.05.01
In this study, we formulate an acoustical topology optimization problem to optimally design a partition layout inside the expansion chamber of a muffler. The lower-limit insertion loss value at a target frequency is constrained, and the partition volume is selected as an object function. In this study, we calculate the insertion loss outside the duct, while to determine the noise-attenuation performance, we use the insertion loss value calculated inside the duct or transmission loss value obtained in a previous study. We employ the finite-element model for acoustical analysis, and we determine the transmission of an incident acoustic wave through each finite element using the functions of design variables that change continuously between "0" and "1." The rigid body elements, which totally reflect incident waves, build up partitions. Finally, we compare optimal topologies that depend on the target frequency and the allowed lower-limit value of insertion loss.
Topology Optimization;Insertion Loss;Muffler;Optimal Design
- Munjal, M. L., 2014, Acoustic of Ducts and Mufflers 2nd edition, John Wiley & Sons.
- Craggs, A., 1976, "A Finite Element Method for Damped Acoustic Systems: an Application to Evaluate the Performance of Reactive Mufflers," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 48, No. 3, pp. 377-392. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(76)90063-8
- Prasad, M. G. and Crocker, M. J., 1981, "Insertion Loss Studies on Models of Automotive Exhaust Systems," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 70, No. 5, pp. 1339-1344. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.387149
- Herrin, D. W., Ramalingam, S., Cui, Z. and Liu, J., 2012, "Predicting Insertion Loss of Large Duct Systems Above the Plane Wave Cutoff Frequency," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 73, No. 1, pp. 37-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2011.07.001
- Prasad, M. G. and Crocker, M. J., 1983, "Studies of Acoustical Performance of a Multi-cylinder Engine Exhaust Muffler System," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 90, No. 4, pp. 491-508.
- Lapka, W., 2009, "Insertion Loss of Spiral Ductsmeasurements and Computations," Archives of Acoustics, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 537-545.
- Chang, Y. C. and Chiu, M. C., 2008, "Shape Optimization of One-chamber Perforated Plug/non-plug Mufflers by Simulated Annealing Method," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 74, No. 10, pp. 1592-1620. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.2226
- Barbieri, R. and Barbieri, N., 2006, "Finite Element Acoustic Simulation Based Shape Optimization of a Muffler," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 67, No. 4, pp. 346-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2005.06.007
- Lee, J. W. and Kim, Y. Y., 2009, "Topology Optimization of Muffler Internal Partitions for Improving Acoustical Attenuation Performance," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 80, No. 4, pp. 455-477. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.2645
- Lee, J. W., 2015, "Optimal Topology of Reactive Muffler Achieving Target Transmission Loss Values: Design and Experiment," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 88, pp. 104-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2014.08.005
- Olesen, L. H., Okkels, F. and Bruus, H., 2006, "A High-level Programming-language Implementation of Topology Optimization Applied to Steady-state Navier-Stokes Flow," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 65, No. 7, pp. 975-1001. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1468
- Svanberg, K., 2002, "A Class of Globally Convergent Optimization Methods Based on Conservative Convex Separable Approximations," SIAM Journal on Optimization, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 555-573. https://doi.org/10.1137/S1052623499362822
- Lee, J. W. and Kim, Y. Y., 2009, "Rigid Body Modeling Issue in Acoustical Topology Optimization," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 198, No. 9-12, pp. 1017-1030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2008.11.008
Supported by : 한국 연구재단