- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Operating Method to Maximize Life Time of 5 kW High Temperature Polymer Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Stack
5 kW 고온 고분자연료전지 스택 수명 극대화를 위한 운전 방법론
KIM, JIHUN;KIM, MINJIN;SOHN, YOUNG-JUN;YU, SANGSEOK
- Received : 2016.01.26
- Accepted : 2016.04.30
- Published : 2016.04.30
HT-PEMFC (high temperature polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell) using PA (phosphoric acid) doped PBI (polybenzimidazole) membrane has been researched for extending the lifetime. However, the existing work on durability of HT-PEMFC focuses on identifying degradation causes of lab scale. The short life time of HT-PEMFC is still the problem for its commercialization. In this paper, an operating method to maximize life time of 5kW HT-PEMFC stack are proposed. The proposed method includes major steps such as minimization of OCV (Open Circuit Voltage) exposure, control of the proper stack temperature, and N2 purging for the stack. This long life operating method was based on the fragmentary results of degradation from previous research works. Experimentally, the 5 kW homemade HT-PEMFC stack was operated for a long time based on the proposed method and the stack successfully can operate within the desired degradation rate for the target life time.
HT-PEMFC;Durability;Operating condition;OCV;Phosphoric Acid;Degradation
- Jianlu Zhang, Zhong Xie, Jiujun Zhang, Yanghua Tang, Chaojie Song, Titichai Navessin, Zhiqing Shi, Datong Song, Haijiang Wang, David P. Wilkinson, Zhong-Sheng Liu, Steven Holdcroft "High temperature PEM fuel cells", Journal of Power Sources 160 (2006) 872-891. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.05.034
- Na-Eun Lee.Wook-Won Kim․Jin-O Kim, "Optimal Configuration Algorithm for ESS with Renewable Energy Resources Considering Peak-shaving Effects", The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers Vol. 63, No. 9, (2014) pp. 1199-1205. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.9.1199
- Amrit Chandan, Mariska Hattenberger, Ahmad El-kharouf, Shangfeng Du, Aman Dhir, Valerie Self, Bruno G. Pollet, Andrew Ingrama, Waldemar Bujalski, "High temperature (HT) polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells (PEMFC) e A review", Journal of Power Sources 231 (2013) 264-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.11.126
- Jianlu Zhang, Zhong Xie, Jiujun Zhang, Yanghua Tang, Chaojie Songa, Titichai Navessin a, Zhiqing Shi, Datong Songa, Haijiang Wang, David P. Wilkinson a,b, Zhong-Sheng Liu a, Steven Holdcroft, "High temperature PEM fuel cells", Journal of Power Sources 160 (2006) 872-891. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.05.034
- Taegon Kang, Minjin Kim, Jintae Kim, Young-Jun Sohn "Numerical modeling of the degradation rate for membrane electrode assemblies in high temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cells and analyzing operational effects of the degradation", international journal of hydrogen energy 40(2015) 5444-5455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.01.185
- Minjin Kim, Taegon Kang, Jintae Kim, Young-Jun Sohn, "One-dimensional modeling and analysis for performance degradation of high temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cell using PA doped PBI membrane", Solid State Ionics 262 (2014) 319-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssi.2013.08.036
- Yuka Oono, Takashi Fukuda, Atsuo Sounai, Michio Hori, "Influence of operating temperature on cell performance and endurance of high temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cells", Journal of Power Sources 195 (2010) 1007-1014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.08.097
- Jintae Kim, Minjin Kim, Taegon Kang, Young-Jun Sohn, Taewon Song, Kyoung Hwan Choi, "Degradation modeling and operational optimization for improving the lifetime of high-temperature PEM (proton exchange membrane)fuel cells", Energy 66 (2014) 41-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.08.053
- A.S. Arico, A. Stassi, E. Modica, R. Ornelas, I. Gatto, E. Passalacqua, V. Antonucci, "Performance and degradation of high temperature polymer electrolyte fuel cell catalysts", Journal of Power Sources 178 (2008) 525-536. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2007.10.005
- ang Qi, Steve Buelte, "Effect of open circuit voltage on performance and degradation of high temperature PBI-H3PO4 fuel cells", Journal of Power Sources 161 (2006) 1126-1132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.06.020
- Yuka Oono, Atsuo Sounai, Michio Hori, "Influence of the phosphoric acid-doping level in a polybenzimidazole membrane on the cell performance of high-temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cells", Journal of Power Sources 189 (2009) 943-949. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2008.12.115
- Jintae Kim, Minjin Kim, Bong-Gu Lee, Young-Jun Sohn, "Durability of high temperature polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells in daily based start/stop operation mode using reformed gas", international journal of hydrogen energy (2015) 1-8.
- Yuka Oono, Atsuo Sounai, Michio Hori, "Long-term cell degradation mechanism in high-temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cells", Journal of Power Sources 210 (2012) 366-373. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.02.098
- J.-P. Maes, S. Lievens, Methods for fuel cell coolant systems, U.S. Patent 7,201,982, assigned to Texaco, Inc, 2007.
- N. Djilali, D.M. Lu, Influence of heat transfer on gas and water transport in fuel cells, Int. J. Therm. Sci. 41 (2002) 29-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1290-0729(01)01301-1
- M. Imaseki, T. Ushio, Y. Shimoyama, Cooling method for fuel cell, US Patent 7,070,873, assigned to Honda Giken Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha, 2006.
- P. Bujlo, S. Pasupathi, Ulleberg, J. Scholta, M.V. Nomnqa, A. Rabiu, B.G. Pollet, "Validation of an externally oil-cooled 1 kWel HT-PEMFC stack operating at various experimental conditions", international journal of hydrogen energy 38 (2013) 9847-9855. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.05.174
- Perminder Bindra, Sidney J. Clouser and Ernest Yeager, "Platinum Dissolution in Concentrated Phosphoric Acid", JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY.
- by Mark F. Mathias, Rohit Makharia, Hubert A. Gasteiger, Jason J. Conley, Timothy J. Fuller, Craig J. Gittleman, Shyam S. Kocha, Daniel P. Miller, Corky K. Mittelsteadt, Tao Xie, Susan G. Yan, Paul T. Yu, " Two Fuel Cell Cars In Every Garage", The Electrochemical Society Interface Fall 2005.
Supported by : 민군기술협력진흥센터, 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)