- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Gas Leakage for a 30-inch Ball Valve used for a Gas Pipeline
가스 파이프라인용 30인치 볼 밸브의 누설량 평가
- Received : 2016.03.27
- Accepted : 2016.04.30
- Published : 2016.04.30
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the gas leakage for a 30-inch ball valve. The ball valve was designed and manufactured for a natural gas transportation through a long-distance pipeline mainly installed in the permafrost region. The gas leakage assessment is based on the pressure testing criteria of international standards. Pressure conditions of the gas leakage test was employed 70 bar, 100 bar, and 110 bar. The amount of the gas leakage at each pressure condition was small and had a value under the pressure testing criteria, ISO 5208. Gas leakage with respect to the test pressure was predicted by the polynomial curve fitting using the experimental results. It is found that the gas leakage rate according to the pressure is proportion to a second order curve.
Ball valve;Permafrost region;Closure test;Gas pipeline;Gas leakage;Gas leakage prediction curve
- A. Ozdamar, K. T. Grusel, Y. Pekbey and B. Celikag, "An Experimental and Numerical Study on Pressure Drop Coefficient of Ball Valves", International Energy Journal, Vol. 8, Issue 4, 2007, pp. 1-7.
- M. J. Chern, C. C. Wang, and C. H. Ma, "Performance test and flow visualization of ball valve", Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, Vol. 31, 2007, pp. 502-512.
- M. J. Chern and C. C. Wang, "Control of Volumetric Flow-Rate of Ball Valve Using V-Port", Journal of Fluid Engineering, Vol. 126, 2004, pp. 471-481. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1760536
- A. S. Tabrizi, M. Asadi, G. Xie, G. Lorenzini, and C. Boserni, "Computational Fluid Dynamics Based Analysis of a Ball Valve Performance in the Presence of Cavitation", Journal of Engineering Thermophysics, Vol. 23, No. 1, 2014, pp. 27-38. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1810232814010044
- S. M. Lee and C. M. Jang, "Development of Numerical Model and Experimental Apparatus for Analyzing the Performance of a Ball Valve used for Gas Pipeline in Permafrost Area", Trans. of the Korean hydrogen and New Energy Society, Vol. 25, No. 5, 2014, pp. 550-559. https://doi.org/10.7316/KHNES.2014.25.5.550
- S. M. Lee and C. M. Jang, "Internal Flow Anaysis for a 10 inche Ball Valve using Flow Similarity", Trans. of the Korean hydrogen and New Energy Society, Vol. 26, No. 4, 2015, pp. 386-392. https://doi.org/10.7316/KHNES.2015.26.4.386
- D. S. Kim, S. K. Bea, W. H. Lee, and H. S. Kim, "Thermal Stress and Flow Analysis of a Cryogenic Ball Valve", Journal of Drive and Control, Vol. 3, No. 4, 2006, pp. 8-13.
- X. G. Song, S. G. Kim, S. H. Baek, and Y. C. Park, "Structural optimization for ball valve made of CF8M stainless steel", Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, Vol. 19, 2009, pp. s528-s561.
- J. Regula, "The Influence of Seat Fatigue Test on the Leakage in Ball Valve", Procedia Engineering, Vol. 39, 2012, pp. 91-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.07.012
- C. K. Kim and J. Y. Yoon, "A Study on Structural Analysis of High-Pressure Pipeline Retainer-Type Ball Valve by Pressure Testing of the Industrial Standard", Journal of Fluid Machinery, Vol. 18, No. 5, 2015, pp. 13-18.
- KICT 2015-088, "Design and Evaluation Technology of Infrastructure with Pipeline in Permafrost Area (Second-year Report)", Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Korea, 2015, pp. 1-3.
- M. S. Shin, J. Y. Yoon, I. W. Park, S. H. Lee, H. Y. Park, and S. H. Jung, "A Study on Structural Analysis of Butterfly Valve Components by Pressure Testing of the Industrial Standard", Journal of Fluid Machinery, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2010, pp. 5-9.
- API 6D, "Specification for Pipeline Valves", American Petroleum Institute, USA, 2008.
- ISO 5208, "Industrial valves-Pressure testing of metallic valves", International Organization for Standardization, Switzerland, 2008.
Supported by : 국토교통부