- Volume 27 Issue 2
This paper presents a simple thermo-physical model of reciprocating compressors for household refrigerator-freezers. The compressor model has been developed based on thermodynamic principles and large data sets from the compressor calorimeter tests. The input data are compressor geometry (displacement and clearance volume), compressor speed, suction pressure and temperature, discharge pressure, and ambient temperature. The model can estimate mass flow rate and compressor power consumption within 3.0% accuracy, which is not much larger than measurement errors associated with calorimeter testing under ideal conditions.
Reciprocating compressor;Refrigerator-freezer;Performance analysis;Compressor model;Compressor efficiency
- M.-H. Kim, C.W. Bullard, "A Simple Approach on the Thermal Performance Analysis of Small Hermetic Reciprocating Compressors," ASHRAE Trans, Vol. 107, Part 1, pp. 109-119, 2001.
- M.-H. Kim, C.W. Bullard, "Thermal Performance Analysis of Small Hermetic Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Compressors," JSME International Journal (B), Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 857-864, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1299/jsmeb.45.857
- A.E. Dabiri, C.K. Rice, "A compressor simulation model with corrections for the level of suction gas superheat," ASHRAE Trans, Vol. 87, Pt. 2, pp. 771-782, 1981.
- I. Haider, M.K. Lavannis, R. Radermacher, "Investigations of the EPA refrigerator analysis (ERA) software: compressor map and ambient temperature effects," ASHRAE Trans, Vol. 103, Pt.11, pp. 608-618, 1997.
- R. Prakash, R. Singh, "Mathematical modeling and simulation of refrigerating compressors," Proceedings of the 1974 Purdue Compressor Technology Conference, pp. 274-285, 1974.
- C.C. Hiller, L.R. Glicksman, "Detailed modeling and computer simulation of reciprocating refrigeration compressors," Proceedings of the 1976 Purdue Compressor Technology Conference, pp. 12-17, 1976.
- P.A. Domanski, D.A. Didion, "Computer modeling of the vapor compression cycle with constant flow area expansion device," National Bureau of Standards, Building Science Series No. 155, 1983.
- M.L. Todescat, F. Fagotti, A.T. Prata, R.T.S. Ferrerira, "Thermal energy analysis in reciprocating hermetic compressors," Proceedings of the 1992 International Compressor Engineering Conference at Purdue, pp. 1419-1428, 1992.
- A. Cavallini, L. Doretti, G.A. Longo, L. Rossetto, B. Bella, A. Zannerio, "Thermal analysis of a hermetic reciprocating compressor," Proceedings of the 1996 International Compressor Conference, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, pp. 535-540, 1996.
- J. Rigola, C.D. Perez-Segarra, A. Oliva, J.M. Serra, M. Escriba, J. Pons, "Parametric study and experimental comparison of small hermetic refrigeration compressors using an advanced numerical simulation model," Proceedings of the 1996 International Compressor Engineering Conference at Purdue, pp. 529-534, 1996.
- B.D. Rasmussen, "Variable speed hermetic reciprocating compressors for domestic refrigerators," Ph.D. Thesis, Technical University of Denmark, 1997.
- S.A. Klein, D.T. Reindl, "Develop data base for determining optimum compressor rating points for residential refrigerator and freezer compressors," RP-870 Report, ASHRAE, Atlanta, 1999.
- F.A. Ribas, C.J. Deschamps, F. Fagotti, A. Morriesen, T. Dutra, "Thermal Analysis of Reciprocating Compressors - A Critical Review," International Compressor Engineering Conference, Paper 1907, 2008.
- B. Tang, Y. Zhao, L. Li, G. Liu, L. Wang, Q. Yang, H. Xu, F. Zhu, W. Meng, "Thermal performance analysis of reciprocating compressor with stepless capacity control system," Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 54, pp. 380-386, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2013.01.036
- S. Chaudhary, D. Gupta, "Performance Analysis of Reciprocating Refrigerant Compressor," International Journal of Science and Research, Vol. 2, pp. 230-235, 2013.
- T.M. Kuehn, J.W. Ramsey, T.L. Threlkeld, Thermal environmental engineering, 3rd ed., Prentice Hall, 1998.
- S.A. Klein, F.L. Alvarado, Engineering equation solver, version 10.047, F-Chart Software, 2016.