- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Inlet Turbulence Conditions and Near-wall Treatment Methods on Heat Transfer Prediction over Gas Turbine Vanes
Bak, Jeong-Gyu;Cho, Jinsoo;Lee, Seawook;Kang, Young Seok
- Received : 2015.08.10
- Accepted : 2016.03.08
- Published : 2016.03.30
This paper investigates the effects of inlet turbulence conditions and near-wall treatment methods on the heat transfer prediction of gas turbine vanes within the range of engine relevant turbulence conditions. The two near-wall treatment methods, the wall-function and low-Reynolds number method, were combined with the SST and
Near-wall Treatment Methods;Gas Turbine Vane;Computational Fluids Dynamics
- Ralf, S. and Sigmar, W., "Gas Turbine Heat Transfer: Past and Future Challenges", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 16, No. 4, 2000, pp. 583-589. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.5611
- Han, J. C., Dutta, S. and Ekkad, S. V., Gas Turbine Heat Transfer and Cooling Technology, 1st ed., Taylor and Francis, London, 2000.
- Facchini, B., Magi, A. and Greco, A. S. D., "Conjugate Heat Transfer Simulation of a Radially Cooled Gas Turbine Vane", ASME Paper, No. GT2004-54213, 2004.
- Tucker, P. G., "Trends in Turbomachinery Turbulence Treatments", Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 63, 2013, pp. 1-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paerosci.2013.06.001
- Ledezma, G. A., Laskowski, G. M. and Tolpadi, A. K., "Turbulence Model Assessment for Conjugate Heat Transfer in a High Pressure Turbine Vane Model", ASME Paper, No. GT2008-50498, 2008.
- Wilcox, D. C., Turbulence Modeling for CFD, 2nd ed., DCW industries, La Canada, CA, 1998.
- Luo, J. and Razinsky, E. H., "Conjugate Heat Transfer Analysis of a Cooled Turbine Vane Using the V2F Turbulence Model", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 129, No. 4, 2006, pp. 773-781.
- Ames, F. E., Experimental Study of Vane Heat Transfer and Aerodynamics at Elevated Levels of Turbulence, NASA CR-4633, 1994.
- Ames, F. E., "The Influence of Large-Scale High Intensity Turbulence on Vane Surface Heat Transfer", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery., Vol. 119, No. 1, 1997, pp. 23-30. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2841007
- Nasir, S., Carullo, J. S., Ng, W., Thole, K. A., Wu, H., Zhang, L. J., and Moon, H. K., "Effects of Large Scale High Freestream Turbulence and Exit Reynolds Number on Turbine Vane Heat Transfer in a Transonic Cascade", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 131, No. 2, 2009, 021021. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2952381
- Medic, G. and Durbin, P. A., "Toward Improved Prediction of Heat Transfer on Turbine Blades", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 124, No. 2, 2002, pp. 187-192. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1458020
- Luo, J., Razinsky, E. H. and Moon. H. K., "Three-Dimensional RANS Prediction of Gas-Side Heat Transfer Coefficients on Turbine Blade and Endwall", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 135, No. 2, 2012, 021005. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4006642
- Hylton, L. D., Milhec, M. S., Turner, E. R., Nearly, D. A. and York, R. E., "Analytical and Experimental Evaluation of the Heat Transfer Distribution Over the Surface of Turbine Vanes", NASA CR-168015, 1983.
- Rhie, C. M. and Chow, W. L., "A numerical Study of the Turbulent Flow Past an Isolated Airfoil with the Trailing Edge Separation", AIAA Paper, No. 82-0998, 1982.
- Barth, T. J. and Jesperson, D. C., "The Design and Application of Upwind Schemes on Unstructured Meshes", AIAA Paper, No. 89-0366, 1989.
- Raw, M. J., "Robustness of Coupled Algebraic Multigrid for the Navier-Stokes Equations," AIAA 34th Aerospace and Sciences Meeting & Exhibit, AIAA Paper, No. 96-0297, 1996.
- ANSYS Inc., ANSYS CFX-Solver Theory Guide, Release 14.0, ANSYS Inc., Canonsburg, PA, 2011.
- York, W. D. and Leylek, J. H., "Three-Dimensional Conjugate Heat Transfer Simulation of an Internally-Cooled Gas Turbine Vane", ASME Paper, No. GT2003-38551, 2003.
- White, F. M., Viscous Fluid Flow, 3rd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 2006.
- Speziale, C. G., Sarka, S. and Gatski, T. B., "Modeling the Pressure-strain Correlation of Turbulence : An Invariant Dynamical Systems Approach", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 227, 1991, pp.245-272 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112091000101
- Menter, F. R., Langtry, R.B. Likki, S. R., Suzen, Y. B., Huang, P. G. and Volker, S., "A Correlation-Based Transition Model Using Local Variables-Part I : Model Formulation", ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 128, No. 3, 2006, pp. 413-422. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2184352
- Bredberg, J., "On the Wall Boundary Condition for Turbulence Models", Chalmers University of Technology, Department of Thermo and Fluid Dynamics, Internal Report, No. 00/4, Goteborg, 2003.
- Kader, B.A., "Temperature and concentration profiles in fully turbulent boundary layers", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 24, No. 9, 1981, pp. 1541-1544. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(81)90220-9
- Menter, F. R., Ferreira, J. C., Esch, T. and Konno, B., "The SST Turbulence Model with Improved Wall Treatment for Heat Transfer Predictions in Gas Turbines", IGTC2003-TC-059, 2003.
Supported by : Korea Aerospace Technology Research Association (KATRA)