- Volume 17 Issue 1
Optical fiber temperature sensing systems have incomparable advantages over traditional electrical-cable-based monitoring systems. However, the fiber optic interrogators and sensors have often been rejected as a temperature monitoring technology in real-world industrial applications because of high cost and over-specification. This study proposes a multiplexed fiber optic temperature monitoring sensor system using an economical Optical Time-Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) and Hard-Polymer-Clad Fiber (HPCF). HPCF is a special optical fiber in which a hard polymer cladding made of fluoroacrylate acts as a protective coating for an inner silica core. An OTDR is an optical loss measurement system that provides optical loss and event distance measurement in real time. A temperature sensor array with the five sensor nodes at 10-m interval was economically and quickly made by locally stripping HPCF clad through photo-thermal and photo-chemical processes using a continuous/pulse hybrid-mode laser. The exposed cores created backscattering signals in the OTDR attenuation trace. It was demonstrated that the backscattering peaks were independently sensitive to temperature variation. Since the 1.5-mm-long exposed core showed a 5-m-wide backscattering peak, the OTDR with a spatial resolution of 40 mm allows for making a sensor node at every 5 m for independent multiplexing. The performance of the sensor node included an operating range of up to
Smart structure;Hard-Polymer-Clad Fiber;Optical Time Domain Reflectometer;Laser clad stripping method
- Marcos, A., R., Valdir, A., S. and Francisco, S., "Sidepolished Microstructured Optical Fiber for Temperature Sensor Application", IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 19, No. 21, 2007, pp. 1738-1740. https://doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2007.905654
- Daniel, C.B., Lothar, S., Michael, N.T. and Michael, K., "Structural Monitoring Using Fiber-optic Bragg Grating Sensors", Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2003, pp. 145-152. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921703002002006
- Fumio, T., Kazushi, U. and Takeo, K., "Multipoint Temperature Measurement Technology using Optical Fiber", FUJITSU Sci. Tech., Vol. 46, No. 1, 2010, pp. 28-33.
- Yoo, W., J., Jang, K., W., Seo, J., K., Moon, J., Han, K., Park, J., Park, B., G. and Lee, B., "Development of a 2-Channel Embedded Infrared Fiber-Optic Temperature Sensor Using Silver Halide Optical Fibers", Sensors, Vol. 11, No. 10, 2011, pp. 9549-9559. https://doi.org/10.3390/s111009549
- Liqiu, M., Ping, L. and Qiying, C., "A Multiplexed Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor for Simultaneous Salinity and Temperature Measurement", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, Issue 5, 2008, pp. 1-7.
- Eric, U., "Fiber Optic Sensors; an Introduction for Engineers and Scientists", WILEY-INTERSCIENCE, 2006, pp. 413-419.
- Hewa-Gamage, G. and Chu, P., L., "A Multiplexed Point Temperature Fibre Sensor Array using OTDR Technique and TDM Mechanism", Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Vol. 2, 2002, pp. 111-118.
- Jianfeng, W., Yongxing, J., Zaixuan, Z., Changyu, S. and Yanqing, Q., "Research of Distributed Optical Fiber Temperature Sensor (DTS) System with Optical Switch", Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Vol. 10, 2010,
- Moyo, P., Brownjohn, J., Suresh, R. and Tjin, S., "Development of Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors for Monitoring Civil Infrastructure", Engineering Structures, Vol. 27, No. 12, 2005, pp. 1828-1834. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.04.023
- Hideaki, I., Hiroshi, Y., Keiji, S. and Akira, M., "Structural Health Monitoring System Using FBG-Based Sensors for a Damage Tolerant Building", International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 1, 2001, pp. 1-10.
- Miao, S., Ben, X., Xinyong, D. and Yi, L., "Optical Fiber Strain and Temperature Sensor Based on an In-line Mach-Zehnder Interferometer using Thin-core Fiber", Optics Communications, Vol. 285, No. 18, 2012, pp. 3721-3725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2012.04.046
- Zhan-Sheng, G., "Strain and Temperature Monitoring of Asymmetric Composite Laminate using FBG Hybrid Sensors", Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 6, No. 3, 2007, pp. 191-197. https://doi.org/10.1177/14759217070060030201
- Jose, M., Luis, R., Antonio, Q. and Adolfo, C., "Fiber Optic Sensors in Structural Health Monitoring", Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 29, No. 4, 2002, pp. 587-608.
- Liu, Y., Lei, T., Wei, T., Sun, Z., Wang, C. and Liu, T., "Application of Distributed Optical Fiber Temperature Sensing System based on Raman Scattering in Coal Mine Safety Monitoring", Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Vol. 1, 2012, pp. 1-4.
- Jose, M., L., "Handbook of Optical Fibre Sensing Technology", WILEY, 2002, pp. 482-493.
- Hong-Nan, L., Dong-Sheng, L. and Gang-Bing, S., "Recent Applications of Fiber Optic Sensors to Health Monitoring in Civil engineering", Engineering Structures, Vol. 26, No. 11, 2004, pp. 1647-1657. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.05.018
- Yun, C. Y., Dipesh, D., Lee, J. R., Park, G. and Kwon, I. B., "Design of Multiplexed Fiber Optic Chemical Sensing System using Clad-removable Optical Fibers", Optics & Laser Technology, Vol. 44, No. 1, 2012, pp. 269-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlastec.2011.07.002
- Kim, D. U., Bae, S. C., Kim, J., Kim, T. Y., Park, C. S. and Oh, K., "Hard Polymer Cladding Fiber (HPCF) Links for High-Speed Short Reach 1 4 Passive Optical Network (PON) Based on All-HPCF Compatible used Taper Power Splitter", Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 17, No. 11, 2005, pp. 2355-2357.
- Kim, H. C. and Lee, J. R., "A Novel Fiber Optic Temperature Monitoring Sensor using Hard-polymer-clad fiber and Optical Time-domain Reflectometer", Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 25, No. 5, 2014, pp. 654-661. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X13507350
- Hwang, D., Yoon, D., Kwon, I., Seo, D. and Chung, Y., "Novel Auto-correction Method in a Fiber-optic distributedtemperature Sensor using Reflected Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering", Optics Express, Vol. 18, No. 10, 2010, pp. 9747- 9754. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.18.009747
- Rongqing, H. and Maurice, O., "Fiber Optic Measurement Techniques", ELSEVIER ACADEMIC PRESS, 2009, pp. 384-385.
- Kohich, A., Kiyoshi, N. and Takeshi, I., "Optical Time Domain Reflectometry in a Single-Mode Fiber", IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1981, pp. 862-868. https://doi.org/10.1109/JQE.1981.1071237
- Kalpakjian, S. and Schmid, S. R., Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials, Second Ed. Addison- Wesley Publishing Company, New York, USA, 1992.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea