- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Feasibility Study on Tropospheric Attenuation Effect of Ku/V Band Signal for Korean Satellite Navigation System
Park, Jungkeun;Lee, Young Jae;Choi, Moonseok;Jang, Jae-Gyu;Sung, Sangkyung
- 투고 : 2015.08.03
- 심사 : 2015.10.14
- 발행 : 2016.03.30
For next generation global navigation satellite systems, new carrier frequencies in Ku/V band are expected to emerge as a promising alternative to the current frequency windows in L band as they get severely congestive. In the case of higher frequency bands, signal attenuation phenomenon through the atmosphere is significantly different from the L band signal propagation. In this paper, a fundamental investigation is carried out to explore the Ku/V band as a candidate frequency band for a new global satellite navigation carrier signal, wherein specific attention is given to the effects of the dominant attenuation factors through the tropospheric propagation path. For a specific application, a candidate orbit preliminarily designed for the Korean regional satellite navigation system is adapted. Simulation results summarize that the Ku band can provide a promising satellite navigation implementation considering the present satellite's power budget, while the V band still requires technical advances in satellite transceiver system implementations.
global navigation satellite system;millimeter wave;attenuation;tropospheric propagation;Korean satellite navigation system
- Thevenon, P., Bousquet, M., Macabiau, C., Grelier, T., Ries, L. and Roviras, D., "Regulatory Analysis of Potential Candidate Bands for the Modernization of GNSS Systems in 2015-2020", Proceedings of IEEE IWSSC, 2008, pp. 172-175.
- Hein G. W., Avila-Rodriguez, J. A., Wallner S., Eissfeller B., Isigler M. and Issler, J. L., "A vision on new frequencies, signals and concepts for future GNSS systems", Proceedings of ION GNSS 2007.
- Mateu, I., Boulanger, C., Issler, J. L., Ries, L., Avila-Rodriguez, J. A., Wallner, S., Kraus, T., Eissfeller, B., Mulassano, P., Caporate, M., Germaine, S., Guyomand, J. Y., Bastide, F., Godet, J., Hayes, D., Serant, D., Thevenon, P., Julien, O. and Hein, G., "Exploration of Possible GNSS Signals in S-band", Proceedings of 22nd International Meeting of the Satellite Division of The Institute of Navigation, Savannah, GA, September 22-25, 2009, pp. 1573-1587.
- Irsigler, M., Hein, G. W. and Schmitz-Peiffer, A., "Use of C-Band frequencies for satellite navigation: benefits and drawbacks", GPS Solutions, Vol. 8, No. 3, 2004, pp.119-139. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10291-004-0098-2
FCC ONLINE TABLE OF FREQUENCY ALLOCATIONS, FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION OFFICE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY, POLICY AND RULES DIVISION 47 C.F.R.
$\S$2.106, Revised on April 16, 2013
- Liebe, H. J., "MPM - An atmospheric mm-wave propagation model", International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 10, No. 6, 1989, pp. 631-650. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01009565
- Schneider, T., "Link Budget Analysis for Terahertz Fixed Wireless Links", IEEE Tr. On Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2012, pp. 250 - 256. https://doi.org/10.1109/TTHZ.2011.2182118
- Espeland, R. H., Violette, E. J. and Allen, K. C., "Atmospheric Channel Performance Measurements at 10 to 100 GHz", NTIA Technical Report TR-84-149, April 1984
- Dees, J. W., King, J. L. and Wiltse, J. C., "A millimeter wave propagation experiment from the ATS-E spacecraft", NASA Technical Report NASA-TM-X-60763, 1967 and presented at IEEE, Group On MICROWAVE THEORY AND TECH.; 18-21 MAR. 1968; NEW YORK
- Fugono, N., Yoshimura, K., & Hayashi, R., "Japan's Millimeter Wave Satellite Communication Program", IEEE Tr. On Communications, Vol. 27, No. 10, 1979, pp. 1381-1391. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOM.1979.1094304
- Antes, J., Reichart, J., Lopez-Diaz, D., Tessmann, A., Poprawa, F., Kurz, F. and Kallfass, I., "System concept and implementation of a mmW wireless link providing data rates up to 25 Gbit/s", Proceedings of the IEEE COMCAS, Tel Aviv, Israel, 2011.
- Castanet, L., Lemorton, J., Konefal, T., Shukla, A. K., Watson, P. A. and Wrench, C. L., "Comparison of Various Methods for Combining Propagation Effects and Predicting Loss in Low-Availability Systems in the 20-50 GHz Frequency Range", Int'l. J. Satell. Commun., Vol. 19, Vol. 3, 2001, pp. 317-334. https://doi.org/10.1002/sat.703
- Propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of Earth-space telecommunication systems, Recommendation ITU-R P.618-11 (09/2013)
- Specific attenuation model for rain for use in prediction methods, Recommendation ITU-R P.838-3
- Attenuation by atmospheric gases, Recommendation ITU-R P.676-10 (09/2013)
- Attenuation due to clouds and fog, Recommendation ITU-R P.840-6 (09/2013)
- Ionospheric propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of satellite services and systems, Recommendation ITU-R P.531-12 (09/2013)
- Characteristics of precipitation for propagation modeling, Recommendation ITU-R P.837-6 (02/2012)
- Rain height model for prediction methods, ITU-R P.839-4 (09/2013)
- The radio refractive index: its formula and refractivity data, Recommendation ITU-R P.453-10 (02/2012)
- A general purpose wide-range terrestrial propagation model in the frequency range 30 MHz to 50 GHz, Recommendation ITU-R P.2001 (02/2012)
- Guide to the application of the propagation methods of Radiocommunication Study Group 3, Recommendation ITU-R P.1144-6 (02/2012)
연구 과제번호 : 기초연구
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 충남대학교