- Volume 44 Issue 2
The fishing port was once the foothold of production as well as the stronghold of communities but with the declining of the fishing industry, ports became abandoned space. Jeju Special Self-Governing Province has continued its effort to vitalize marine tourism since 2010. Shinyang Port in particular is designated as a Prearranged Marina Port Development Zone, and planning for the Jeju Ocean Marina City project is underway. Nevertheless, fishing port remodeling projects implemented on Jeju so far have focused only on civil engineering such as renovating old facilities. In addition, most Marina Port Development Projects have been irrelevant to local communities. Leading projects by the local government mostly suffer from a lack of funding, which results in the renovation of old facilities and improper maintenance, while private sector investment projects do not lead to benefit sharing with the community. Shinyang Port, also renovated in 2008, ended up with outer breakwater extension construction that neither solved the fundamental problem of the site nor gave benefits to residents. To arrange a way to solve problems for civil engineering focused development project, improper maintenance, and benefit sharing with community, first, this study proposes a development plan that connects with the outlying areas near the ports. The plan reflects existing topography, Jeju traditional stonewalls, narrow paths on the master plan and programs by reading the regional context. In this way, this paper suggests a space development plan reflecting the local landscape and characteristic factors. Second, it satisfies various needs by using existing and new Marine Tourism Resources. Third, it examines sustainable operation and management measures through residents' participation. The proposal is significant in two key ways: it is a fresh attempt at connecting the fishing port with its outlying areas from a landscape perspective; and it considers environmental, social, economic issues, and suggests participation for local communities. Thus, the model can be used in future fishing-port remodeling plans for revitalizing unused space, including invaluable traditional landscapes, and for boosting the marine-leisure industry.
Ocean and Costal Development;Marine Leisure;Waterfront;Regional Context;Recycle;Harbour;Fishing Village
- Kim, S.-G. and J.-W. Hong(2006). A Study on Marina Construction in Multi-Function Fishing Port. Korea Maritime Institute.
- Kim, S.-G.(2007) Introduction to Marine Tourism. Seoul: Hyunhaksa.
- Lee, S.-Y.(2008) A Study on the Effective Utilization of Local Fishing Port. Jeju Development Institute.
- Millspaugh, M. L.(2001) Waterfronts as catalysts for city renewal. Waterfronts in post-industrial cities, pp. 74-85.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport(2010) Marina Port General Planning.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries(2006) A Study on Infrastructure Construction for Marine Tourism.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries(2014) Planning Manual for Port and Fishing Port.
- Orams, M.(1999) Marine Tourism: Development, Impacts and Management. Psychology Press.
- Park, S.-Q., Y.-T. Shin, Y.-S. Ok, J.-B. Kim, J.-Y. Kim, B.-O. Park, M.-S. Jung, Y.-J. Park and J.-Y. Cho(1995) A Study on Developing Fishing Village Model by Combining Fishery, Fishing Port, Fishing Village. Korea Rural Economic Institute.
- Pomeroy, A.(1990) Effect on agriculture of waterfront restructuring and need for shipping reform(No. 1/90). Discussion Paper.
- Seoguipo City(2011) 2011 Oceans and Fishery Condition of Seoguipo City.
- Song, M.-S. and I.-S. Chun(2003) A study on the effective port construction by remodeling. Korean Society of Civil Engineers 2003 (10): 5130-5135.
- Vayona, A.(2011) Investigating the preferences of individuals in redeveloping waterfronts: The case of the port of Thessaloniki-Greece. Cities 28(5): 424-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2011.05.007
- Wakefield, S.(2007) Great expectations: Waterfront redevelopment and the Hamilton Harbour Waterfront Trail. Cities 24(4): 298-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2006.11.001
- Walker, T. R., M. Bernier, B. Blotnicky, P. G. Golden, E. Hoffman, J. Janes and S. Vermeulen(2015) Harbour divestiture in Canada: Implications of changing governance. Marine Policy 62: 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2015.08.018
- Wood, R. and J. Handley(1999) Urban waterfront regeneration in the Mersey Basin, North West England. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 42(4): 565-580. https://doi.org/10.1080/09640569911064
- Arnstein, S. R.(1969) A ladder of citizen participation. Journal of the American Institute of Planners 35(4): 216-224. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944366908977225
- Bae, G.-J.(2007) A Study on Future Oriented Development of Fishing Port by Remodeling. Yonsei University, Master's Thesis, Unpublished
- Bassett, K., R. Griffiths and I. Smith(2002) Testing governance: partnerships, planning and conflict in waterfront regeneration. Urban Studies 39(10): 1757-1775. https://doi.org/10.1080/0042098022000002948
- Cho, W.-S., H.-G. Kim and Y.-G. Kim(2007) A study on the planning of waterfront about fishing village and harbor in east coast: Focused on the Sachun harbor of national harbor. Korean Institute of Rural Architecture 1: 25.
- Gospodini, A.(2001) Urban waterfront redevelopment in Greek cities: A framework for redesigning space. Cities 18(5): 285-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0264-2751(01)00022-1
- Hall, C. M.(2001) Trends in ocean and coastal tourism: The end of the last frontier?. Ocean and Coastal Management 44(9): 601-618. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-5691(01)00071-0
- Hoyle, B.(2000) Confrontation, consultation, cooperation? Community groups and urban change in Canadian port-city waterfronts. The Canadian Geographer/Le Geographe Canadien 44(3): 228-243. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-0064.2000.tb00706.x
- Huang, W.-C. and S.-K. Kao(2014) Public-private partnerships during waterfront development process: The example of the world exposition. Ocean and Costal Management. pp. 28-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2014.02.007
- Jeju Special Self-Governing Province(2011) 5 Year Plan for Marine Tourism.
- Jung, S.-J. and M.-A. Lee(2004) Marine Tourism. Seoul: Daewangsa.