- Volume 44 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis on Trends in the Designation and Development of Historical Parks in Korea
국내 역사공원의 지정 및 조성 경향 분석
Gil, Ji-Hye;Park, Hee-Soung;Park, Jae-Min
- Received : 2016.04.19
- Accepted : 2016.04.29
- Published : 2016.04.30
After the revision of the Urban Park Act in 2005, historical parks emerged in Korea to promote the preservation of historical heritage while also offering recreation and education to ordinary citizens. It is now time to examine the characteristics of domestic historical parks by examining their current operational conditions, and seek appropriate institutional improvements. By studying the characteristics of historical parks in various countries, as well as the trends in the designation and development of domestic historical parks, this study attempts to examine the function and role of historical parks, and seeks a direction for future action. Through its literature review, this study also examines the current state of historical parks through cooperation with relevant public officials and experts. The results of the study show that, despite historical resources being concentrated in sites dating to the Joseon Dynasty, they also include heritage pertaining to persons, events, and places. There is also a trend toward increasing the focus on modern heritage. Historical parks show differences across existing cities and new towns, as well as between major cities and provincial cities. Provincial cities showed a recent trend of using historical parks as important resources for strengthening their economics and solidifying their identities. Also, there are many cases where the designated category for a park is changed to a historical park. In such cases, there may be a problem where certain functions of the park run into conflict. Domestic historical parks can be divided into four categories: heritage parks, memorial parks, historical theme parks, and historic parks. Such detailed classification schemes may serve as the strategic foundation for later conservation and usage of historical heritage, as well as a standard for suggesting concrete direction in the operation of historical parks.
Urban Park;Specific Park;Cultual Heritage;Conservation
- Ahn, G. B.(2001) A study on th conception of historic park and its types. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 19(36): 1-14.
- Commission of Urban Park in Japan(2005) Urban Park in Japan(日本の都市公園). Tokyo: Environmental Greening Newspaper.
- Cultural Heritage Adminstration(2011) A Research for Legislating Preservation Principle of Cultural Heritage(1): Groundwork(문화유산보존원칙 제정을 위한 연구(1) 기반조성연구).
- Hakodateshinbun(函館新聞) on November 4, 2006.
- Hong, S. K., M. W. Lee, S. M. Lee and M. J. Ahn(2007) Searching for facilities and service programs for the establishment of urban park identification. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 35(5): 29-36.
- Kim, N. O.(1988) A study on the use and preservation of American historic landscape - Mesaverde National Park. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 16(1): 15-34.
- Kim, W. J., K. Y. Kang, H. B. Kim, Y. A. Seo and S. J. Park(2015) "Bringing colour to history": Revitalization of Historical Parks in Seoul, The Seoul Institute.
- Ko, Y. K. and H. S. So(2016) A study on the improvement plan through current status historical park in Seoul. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 34(1): 107-117. https://doi.org/10.14700/KITLA.2016.34.1.107
- Lee, J. J., M. H. Park, M. H. Park, D. G. Lee and Y. S. Jang(2004) Plan for urban park and green space system and management. Urban Information Service 273: 3-12.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism(2006) Operational Guidelines for Urban Plan.
- National Park System(2009) The National Parks: Index 2009-2011. U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service.
- Pendlebury, J.(1996) Historic Parks and Gardens and Statutory Protection. Electronic Working Paper 12, Global Urban Research Unit, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Act on Urban Parks, Greenbelts, etc.(도시공원및녹지등에관한법률).
- Enforcement Decree of the Act on Urban Parks, Greenbelts, etc.(도시공원 및 녹지 등에 관한 시행령).
- Enforcement Rule of the Act on Urban Parks, Greenbelts, etc.(도시공원 및 녹지 등에 관한 시행규칙).
- Guideline on the Detailed Criteria of Urban Parks and Greenbelts Type(도시공원녹지의 유형별 세부기준 등에 관한 지침).
- www.en.wikipedia.org / Accessed in 2016. 4.
Supported by : 한국연구재단