- Volume 48 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study on the Manufacture of Ethylene Gas Absorbing Corrugated Board
에틸렌 가스 흡착 기능성 골판지 제조를 위한 기초연구
- Received : 2016.03.21
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.04.30
Ethylene gas is a natural hormone that directly affects the freshness of agricultural products, so it is very important for the maintenance of freshness to remove ethylene gas from corrugated board boxes. Many methods for the removal of this and other gases have been reported. In this study, the utilization of an absorbent using activated carbon was adopted for the removal of ethylene gas from a corrugated board box. Activated carbon powders were prepared by grinding in a laboratory and were used to treat the surface and to laminate paperboards with a starch solution. The ethylene gas absorption was evaluated by using a gas chromatography to measure the residual ethylene gas concentration. About 60% of the ethylene gas was absorbed by the activated carbon itself. However, the paperboards that were surface-treated and laminated with starch and activated carbon showed lower than 20% ethylene gas absorption. This was because the starch and smaller particles of activated carbon blocked the surface pores of activated carbon particles. Therefore, either the use of the binders must be minimized for the surface treatment of paperboards, or activated carbon packs can be used as absorbents in corrugated boxes.
Ethylene gas;activated carbon;agricultural products;paperboard;corrugated board box
- Lim, B. S., Park, Y. M., Hwang, Y. S., Do, G. R., and Kim, K. H., Influence of ethylene and 1-methylcyclopropene treatment on the storage quality of 'Hongro'apples, Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology 27(4):607-611 (2009).
- Serek, M., Sisler, E.C., and Reid, M.S., Novel gaseous ethylene binding inhibitor prevents ethylene effects in potted flowering plants, J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 119(6):1230-1233 (1994).
- Elgar, H. J,. Woolf, A. B., and Bieleski, R. L., Ethylene production by three lily species and their response to ethylene exposure, Postharvest biology and technology 16(3):257-267(1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-5214(99)00021-6
- Serek, M., and Sisler, E.C., Efficacy of inhibitors of ethylene binding in improcement of the postharvest characteristics of potted flowering plants, Postharvest biology and technology 23(2):161-166 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-5214(01)00109-0
- Lee, H. H., Cho, Y. M., and Park, H. S., Effect of overlaid white charcoal board on the ethylene gas adsorption and preservation life of strawberry, Mokchae konghak 32(5):36-92 (2004).
- Sekine, Y., and Nishimura, A., Removal of formaldehyde from indoor air by passive type air cleaning materials, Atmospheric environment 35(11):2001-2007 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(00)00465-9
- Sekine, Y., Oxidative Decomposition of Formaldehyde by Metal Oxides at Room Temperature, Atmospheric Environment 36(35):5543-5547 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(02)00670-2
- Lee, S. C., and Kim, D. J., Odorous gas removal in biofilter with powdered activated carbon and zeolite coated polyurethane foam, Clean technology 18(2):209-215 (2012). https://doi.org/10.7464/ksct.2012.18.2.209
- Jo, T. S., Removal of harmful gas with wood or bark charcoal, Mokchae konghak 36(6):69-76 (2008).
- Jeong, C. S., Park, S. M., Won, J. M., and Lee, S. J., Development of the functional packaging paper for ethylene gas absorption using charcoal, Journal of horticultural science & technology 21(2):153-156 (2003).
- Park, D. C., and Kwon, S. H., An experimental study for the development of eco-interior finish building materials using the bamboo activated carbon, Journal of the architectural institute of KOREA structure & construction 27(3):99-106 (2011).
- Oh, W. C., Kim, B. S., Lee, Y. H., Kim, J. G., Kim, M.K., and Ko, Y.S., Adsorption and Antibacterial Properties of Metal Treated Activated Carbon, Analytical Science & Technology 11(4):266-270 (1998).
- Jin, H. K., Lee, J. M., and Ryu, S. K., Characterization of the Micro porosity of Activated Carbon Fiber, The Korea Vacuum Society 2(4):491-500 (1993).
Supported by : 교육부