- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparison between Water and N-Tetradecane as Insulation Materials through Modeling and Simulation of Heat Transfer in Packaging Box for Vaccine Shipping
Dao, Van-Duong;Jin, Ik-Kyu;Hur, Ho;Choi, Ho-Suk
- 투고 : 2016.01.05
- 심사 : 2016.01.18
- 발행 : 2016.03.31
This study reports on the modeling and simulation of heat transfer in packaging boxes used for vaccine shipping. Both water and n-tetradecane are used as primary insulation materials inside a multi-slab system. The one-dimensional model, which is a spherical model using a radius equivalent to the rectangular geometry of container, is applied in this study. N-tetradecane with low thermal diffusivity and proper phase transition temperature exhibits higher heat transfer resistance during both heating and cooling processes compared to water. Thus, n-tetradecane is a better candidate as an insulating material for packaging containers for vaccine shipping. Furthermore, the developed method can also become a rapid and economic tool for screening appropriate phase change materials used as insulation materials with suitable properties in logistics applications.
Cold chain;Modelling;Simulation;Heat transfer;N-Tetradecane;Water
- Sharma, S. D., and Sagara, K., “Latent Heat Storage Materials and Systems: A Review,” Int. J. Green Ener., 2, 1-56 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1081/GE-200051299
- www.who.int/vaccines-documents/Guidelines on the International Packaging and Shipping of Vaccines, WHO/IVB/05.23. (2005).
- Crank, J., and Gupta, R. S., “A Method for Solving Moving Boundary Problems in Heat Flow using Cubic Splines or Polynomials,” IMA J. Appl. Math., 10, 296-304 (1972). https://doi.org/10.1093/imamat/10.3.296
- Gupta, R. S., “Moving Grid Method without Interpolations,” Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engg., 4, 143-52 (1973).
- Patankar, S. V., Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, Flow, McGraw-Hill, New York (1980).
- Gupta, R. S., and Kumar, D., “A Modified Variable Time Step Method for One-Dimensional Stefan Problem,” Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engg., 23, 101 (1980). https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(80)90081-X
- Crank, J., How to Deal with Moving Boundaries in Thermal Problems, In: Lewis, R. W., Morgan, K., Editors. Numerical Methods in Heat transfer, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1981).
- Pham, Q., “A Fast Unconditionally Stable Finite-Difference Scheme for Heat Conduction with Phase Change,” Int. J. Heat. Mass. Transfer., 28, 2079 (1985). https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(85)90101-2
- Ketkar, P. S., Numerical Thermal Analysis, New York: ASME (1999).
- Tacke, K. H., “Discretization of the Explicit Enthalpy Method for Planar Phase Change,” Int. J. Num. Methods Eng., 21, 543 (1985). https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620210312
- Poirier, D., “On Numerical Methods used in Mathematical Modeling of Phase Change in Liquid Metals,” J. Heat Transfer., 110, 562 (1988). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3250529
- Ozisik, N. M., Finite Difference Methods in Heat Transfer, CRC Press, Florida (1994).
- Sayar, S., Heat Transfer During Melting and Solidification in Heterogeneous Materials, Ph.D. Thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia (2000).
- Dao, V. D., Choi, H. S., Lee, S. C., and Bae, Y. S., “Modeling and Simulation of Heat Transfer Inside the Packaging Box for Vaccine Shipping,” Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 46, 604 (2008).
- Hong, H., Park, C. H., Choi, J. H., and Peck, J. H., “Improvement of the T-history Method to Measure Heat of Fusion for Phase Change Materials,” Int. J. Air-Conditioning Refrig. 11, 32 (2003).
- Zhang, Y., Qian, J., and Chen, F., “Preparation of Biodegradable Phase-Change Refrigerant Used in Insulating Packing,” Appl. Mech. Mater., 200, 437 (2012). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.200.437
- Vargaftik, N. B., Handbook of Physical Properties of Liquids and Gas-Pure Substances and Mixtures, Mokva (1972).